Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - Light at the end of the tunnel - February 26th, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    Because the battle station is the only place in all of AO to PvP.

You're over simplafing everything and that is my problem with your argument.

Notum Wars is even faster than BS, just at a vastly larger scale. City PvP is usually more down tempo, unless a zerg goes for 1 person.

So no, there is no oversimplifying here. At any point of having team PvP, location means jack as the mechanics are the same, you retain the tempo.
    More buttons to press is not the solution.
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    So no, there is no oversimplifying here. At any point of having team PvP, location means jack as the mechanics are the same, you retain the tempo.
    More buttons to press is not the solution.
    I concur with everything said in this single paragraph.

AO's complexity in my opinion is its highpoint, especially in PvP, but it's long since lost its novelty. What used to be dynamic and interesting gameplay has ultimately turned into a button mashing contest. Only difference between the two is that you have to hit the buttons at specific times, and in a certain order. If you don't, you end up dieing. This may be an ok strategy for a heavily nano-based profession, but it ends up being the same no matter which one you play.

Quote Originally Posted by Revane View Post
    I concur with everything said in this single paragraph.

AO's complexity in my opinion is its highpoint, especially in PvP, but it's long since lost its novelty. What used to be dynamic and interesting gameplay has ultimately turned into a button mashing contest. Only difference between the two is that you have to hit the buttons at specific times, and in a certain order. If you don't, you end up dieing. This may be an ok strategy for a heavily nano-based profession, but it ends up being the same no matter which one you play.
    Isn't that just a symptom of playing too much ?
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by mettagirl View Post
    Isn't that just a symptom of playing too much ?
    Argh. You may be right.

I've been with this game on and off for 6 years lol..

Means, is the new engine honestly going to come? I mean it's two years overdue and the game is dying. If you don't bring it on soon then there might not be an AO in another year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Edvvin View Post
    Means, is the new engine honestly going to come? I mean it's two years overdue and the game is dying. If you don't bring it on soon then there might not be an AO in another year or two.
    Dunno if you read through the last 2 FWM, but its nearing completion and they are fixing up a new teaser for us.

Quote Originally Posted by majere View Post
    Dunno if you read through the last 2 FWM, but its nearing completion and they are fixing up a new teaser for us.
    I just hear a lot of talk about how every major player is leaving for other games one by one. I just got back but I skimmed the last few weeks. It's just so overdue and it seems like they might abandon AO due to inactivity soon.

I'd say that talk is bogus. A bunch of old time players have come back recently. In mid 2008, while leveling a low-level crat, I could rarely find people to level with, and when I did it was three or four people in an OST team.

I rolled a shade last week. There are people everywhere! Heck spots in Nasc are crowded, Tig beach in Ely has activity. I can get teams at the drop of a hat. I also notice far more people hanging out in LoX than before.

Don't let the whiners fool you. Population is up.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

Totally agree with berinda, i sweep past nasc on my main to check if there are teams for my lowbies - used to be the odd occasion that i'd find it decently populated... Recently each time i go there, atleast two teams are running around and many others sat in the garden/statue.

Off peak times you may still have the odd problem getting a team, but its still better than previous months.

The graphics engine is 2 years overdue? Did I miss something? FC never said they would hit the update button on the engine 2 years ago. They began working on it. At some point they had a target to update at the end of 2009, so at most, it's delayed 3-4 months.

The game is dying? It's busier than it's been for a while, in some spots maybe even 'crowded'. A LONG while.

{edited by Anarrina: removed unnecessary remark}
    Last edited by Anarrina; Mar 5th, 2010 at 20:29:47.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    The graphics engine is 2 years overdue? Did I miss something?
    Yes, you might want to go back and read some of Sil's timeline predictions not long after the new engine was announced.

From that point on it has been delay after delay after delay, scrap the whole thing and start over, delay, yadda, yadda, yadda...
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Edvvin View Post
    yes, we're all anxious to see new graphic engine. but, as the old poverb goes, "a watched pot never boils."
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

Quote Originally Posted by Autohead View Post
    Yes, you might want to go back and read some of Sil's timeline predictions not long after the new engine was announced.

From that point on it has been delay after delay after delay, scrap the whole thing and start over, delay, yadda, yadda, yadda...
    Sil who? Oh you mean that guy that hasn't been AO game director for over a year if not two years now? OK

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    Sil who? Oh you mean that guy that hasn't been AO game director for over a year if not two years now? OK
    You can roll your eyes all you want, it doesn't make your previous comments any less wrong. Just because he's not GD of AO anymore doesn't mean the engine isn't long overdue from what we were originally told.

Sil announced development of the new engine in June of 2007 (nearly 3 years ago). In March of 08 (two years ago) he said they were beginning testing and hopes to get it completed and live that same year. Here we are, a scrapped engine and two years later, and we still don't have it.

Nice try though...
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

You can roll your eyes all you want, it doesn't make your previous comments any less wrong. Just because he's not GD of AO anymore doesn't mean the engine isn't long overdue from what we were originally told.

Sil announced development of the new engine in June of 2007 (nearly 3 years ago). In March of 08 (two years ago) he said they were beginning testing and hopes to get it completed and live that same year. Here we are, a scrapped engine and two years later, and we still don't have it.

Nice try though...
    ....and what are you getting at?

the only mistake FC is to blame for here, is they got too excited and just had to tell us about what they were working on.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    ....and what are you getting at?
    What I'm getting at is I'm sick of "graynames" treating other posters like dirt...haven't really noticed you doing this though.

Obtena calling the poster stupid is just an example. I, for one, don't consider someone remembering what he read and how long ago that has been "stupid." Sure his "there won't be an AO left" comment might be a little exaggerated, but exaggeration is not a trait I directly relate to stupidity. The fact remains, according to what we were told and when things were announced, it is overdue.

However, I do think scrapping ogre and going to dreamworld was a good move. I don't really have a problem with the delays, I just have a problem with people getting called stupid for remembering how long it's been since things were said to be coming.

You're just bitter you can't look at your ass in new "high definition"

The first announcement of the proposed graphic update was June 27, 2007, according to the compilation post that's sticked on reets. Were they over zealous and excited about the whole process? Of course. Is it taking a while? Yep. Do they have a small team to work with? We all know that. The only thing right now that's causing me to be impatient is waiting for my CPU to return from an RMA. I'm not getting impatient with the graphic update. I'd rather they get it done right.
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

What I'm getting at is I'm sick of "graynames" treating other posters like dirt...haven't really noticed you doing this though.
    Don't feel bad, I treat everyone who earns it like dirt whether my name is grey or not and that's not going to change. If you don't like it, use ignore, report it and when the next vote for professional comes, vote for someone that isn't me.

It was a stupid comment on the posters part to say graphics engine is 2 years overdue because it's not, it never was and it won't be. The latest info for graphics update was from Means, targeting end of 2009 so they are a few months late. Anything else is just old information and If people want to base their expectations on invalid information from 2-3 years ago, well, again, they are being ignorant. There is no excuse for ignorance.
    Last edited by Obtena; Mar 5th, 2010 at 19:28:45.

Engineer Camping ur credz
    Look everyone needs to keep something in perspective:

How many games have this kind of run? Huh Complainers?! Who the hell r u kidding....they r actually doing one helluva job(Means and his crew). This game could've folded up and FUNCOM could have said Fook-It and shut the servers down because we all know profitability has dropped on the product but FC has continued to stick with it and develop things.

You think the switch over is a cheap fix....?? Hell if u do then ur really like a baby "don't know what to do". The game is OLDDDDDDDD....we need to always stay thankful that FC continues to keep the product running and even developing it more...when they could have shut it down long ago and pushed AO resources into new product development. Look around the world people that's what companies do...run a product until the profitability drops then the move on to the next big thing. Hell some of u prolly lost ur jobs in the last few years because of the very idea I speak of. Most big companies don't give a rat's ass. Turning a profit is all that matters to most of them.

So keep reality in perspective when u pull on ur fookin "ima widdle baby & i wike to complain" diapers and just be thankful u still have this good game in the sci-fi genre to play :-)

Thanks Means and the crew and FC for sticking with AO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdit View Post
    Look everyone needs to keep something in perspective:

How many games have this kind of run? Huh Complainers?! Who the hell r u kidding....they r actually doing one helluva job(Means and his crew). This game could've folded up and FUNCOM could have said Fook-It and shut the servers down because we all know profitability has dropped on the product but FC has continued to stick with it and develop things.

You think the switch over is a cheap fix....?? Hell if u do then ur really like a baby "don't know what to do". The game is OLDDDDDDDD....we need to always stay thankful that FC continues to keep the product running and even developing it more...when they could have shut it down long ago and pushed AO resources into new product development. Look around the world people that's what companies do...run a product until the profitability drops then the move on to the next big thing. Hell some of u prolly lost ur jobs in the last few years because of the very idea I speak of. Most big companies don't give a rat's ass. Turning a profit is all that matters to most of them.

So keep reality in perspective when u pull on ur fookin "ima widdle baby & i wike to complain" diapers and just be thankful u still have this good game in the sci-fi genre to play :-)

Thanks Means and the crew and FC for sticking with AO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Amen to that.
    Thats the difference between FC and companies like EA - Having or not having a soul. Its more than just earning a buck for the bang, but rather bang for the buck.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast