Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brainstorming Sessions - The Index

Brainstorming Sessions - The Index

Since the Brainstorming Sessions are designed to provide information for all players, but specifically Roleplayers, I will maintain the Index of the sessions here while continuing to publish new sessions to the Knowledge Database.

As with all sessions my speculations are not gospel and are provided to stimulate thought for you to draw your own conclusions based on the facts provided. Please add your speculations or additional facts to the appropriate thread(s).

The Index:
    Breeds
    Omni-Tek Board of Directors
    Rubi-Ka Insurance
    Faster Than Light Travel
    Trans-Dimensional/Universal/Temporal Travel
    The ICC
    Omni-Tek Law and Order
    Rubi-Ka
    Profession Heroes
    Flight in the Shadowlands
    [NEW!]Notum
    Last edited by Trousers; Dec 16th, 2012 at 05:24:29.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Session covering the topic of Faster Than Light (FTL) has been added.

Session covering Trans-Dimensional/Universal/Temporal Travel (DUT) has been added.

Session covering the ICC has been added.

Session covering Omni-Tek Law and Order has been added.

First off, you do seem able to drag up some interesting and good information from many places. I find that invaluable.

However, that said, you seem to be placing as "facts" things that are still speculation. In this latest session you have posted about Omni-Tek Law and Order, you mention as "facts" Omni-Pol, Omni-AF and Omni-NF and make some citations to support that.

Perhaps I am missing something in those citations, and they DO mention the Omni- Armed Forces, and Omni-Pol, but I can not see any mention of any Navy or other of the speculative names you have created further on in the article. I have seen players refer to Omni Naval forces before, but I personally have never seen any official documentation relating to this as a separate force from the encompassing OT-AF.

If there is such documentation out there, I would be very interested in seeing it.
    Last edited by Ninanna; Sep 20th, 2010 at 21:31:47.
    Coordinator Ninanna. LTC Team Lead

Current effective emails: Ninanna@ark.AOark.info, ark.Ninanna@gmail.com
    or for Mmir the Events AD: Mirr@ark.AOark.info, arkmmirad@gmail.com
    Events Department, Advisors of Rubi-Ka
    To Email Events Department

Nina,

I provided additional citation which specifically mentions Warships, which would indicate the presence of a Navy, during the Corporate Wars.

If you have any other concerns with the session that you mentioned, or any others (which you implied you have) please feel free to point those out in the appropriate threads so that I can respond, do additional research or make corrections as needed.

Edit: I'm also willing to discuss any of the sessions in the #AO-Events IRC channel. Just poke me and see if I'm available to chat.
    Last edited by Trousers; Sep 21st, 2010 at 00:02:19.

I appreciate the additional citations. Do not get me wrong. I am not saying you are wrong. It is just there has not (to my knowledge) been ANY mention of anything outside of Omni-Tek Armed Forces, which to my knowledge would include any and all of those sub groups (none of which I have ever seen any official documentation to support calling it the Omni Navy, or any of the other interesting sub-group names you have come up with).

I know you are very good at digging and pulling up lots of information that is either unknown, or lost to a lot of the rest of us. It is why I asked for further citations. I would love to see any additional support to these ideas. I look at this as a way for us all to benefit.

Unfortunately the word warship doesn't equal Omni Navy, outside of the all encompassing and recognized Omni Armed Forces.

I am not allowed to comment in more than a few forums, and those are either directly or indirectly related specifically to RP or events areas, such as this area.
    Coordinator Ninanna. LTC Team Lead

Current effective emails: Ninanna@ark.AOark.info, ark.Ninanna@gmail.com
    or for Mmir the Events AD: Mirr@ark.AOark.info, arkmmirad@gmail.com
    Events Department, Advisors of Rubi-Ka
    To Email Events Department

As much as I dislike to agree with Mr. Trousers... he is correct!

Warships, in space... would have to have a Captain, and in almost every sci-f theme where these exist, they are part of a space NAVY.

Looking at it from a logical POV. Currently even the air force... when moving across oceans, where are their planes? in a NAVY ship to be deployed. When moving across galaxies, it would make sense that any sort of space conflict would be mainly fought by a Navy (Omni-NF), while any ground battle on planets/moons/etc would be ARMY/AIR FORCE (in this case Omni-AF).

Is any of this canon? hell no. However, if the Timeline and the Corporate Wars were to be loosely interpreted with what little is known about it, yeah... Omni-NF could exist.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

I see, then for your sake I'll continue to respond here.

The way I have always seen it is that "Armed Forces" is a more colloquial way of referring to Omni-Tek's Army assets.

In a strictly speaking sense, the "Armed Forces" would, as you said, encompass the Army, Navy and Marines. However, "Armed Forces" is not a military branch. By virtue of the fact the word 'Forces' is plural it means that it is made up of many.

Taking Rosuma as an example he, strictly speaking, would not be a Lieutenant General of the Armed Forces, he would be a Lieutenant General of the Army. However, on Rubi-Ka where only one branch reports to the CEO (Army) the term AF would simply be used.

I appreciate the dissenting opinion on this, however, at this time I feel the evidence weighs more in favor of there being a Navy then against.

Whilst you are correct at one level, the problem lies in the way deployments are managed.

Whilst the timeline does specifically mention warships that would lend itself to assuming a navy exits in some form, in regards to the Corporate Wars, there is no specific mention of the Hyper-Corporation's management of assets on an ongoing basis.

These warships can actually be defined as assets that are deployed at the Military Task Force level where the combining of any number of military assets, e.g. land, sea, air & space can be called upon to form a collective under a single commander for the purpose of an explicit operation on a temporary basis.

This requires no separate command structure for the purpose of controlling each kind of asset (army, navy, airforce etc), it just needs a command structure to manage the operation as a whole, hence Omni-AF as the whole.

This Military Task Force approach is done in the military today (e.g. NATO).

If you consider that Omni-Tek is a company concerned only with profits, then the idea of them wanting to maintain and support a large number of separate military organisations, each with their own command structures, would probably raise the eyebrows of their investors somewhat.
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

Hmm... yes Armed Forces is plural and in my eyes the all encompassing name for everything that is big firepower with Omni-Logo except the Unicorns.
    However, as I can neither dig out any information regarding the exact structure of the omni-tek armed forces we are back to speculations and ideas. But that is good, cause it may allow us at some point to say: "yes, that sounds like omni-tek, that is how it is."

Personally I kinda like that std. 3 branch system but only cause it is as it is in our time.
    Which again is bad. Lets see if we can up with a structure that is better adapted to the times of AO and the way OT operates.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeephonz View Post
    Whilst you are correct at one level, the problem lies in the way deployments are managed.

Whilst the timeline does specifically mention warships that would lend itself to assuming a navy exits in some form, in regards to the Corporate Wars, there is no specific mention of the Hyper-Corporation's management of assets on an ongoing basis.

These warships can actually be defined as assets that are deployed at the Military Task Force level where the combining of any number of military assets, e.g. land, sea, air & space can be called upon to form a collective under a single commander for the purpose of an explicit operation on a temporary basis.

This requires no separate command structure for the purpose of controlling each kind of asset (army, navy, airforce etc), it just needs a command structure to manage the operation as a whole, hence Omni-AF as the whole.

This Military Task Force approach is done in the military today (e.g. NATO).

If you consider that Omni-Tek is a company concerned only with profits, then the idea of them wanting to maintain and support a large number of separate military organisations, each with their own command structures, would probably raise the eyebrows of their investors somewhat.
    Zee,

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't NATO a layer of management and not an actual military force? As far as I was aware, NATO would want to move American Military Assets and then the request would be made to that Department and then it would be up to that Department to fulfill the request - Not NATO commanding the vessels directly.

If I'm not mistaken, then this would be an unnecessary layer of bureaucracy for the Armed Forces in regard to how it would operate internally.

Quote Originally Posted by Devdas View Post
    Hmm... yes Armed Forces is plural and in my eyes the all encompassing name for everything that is big firepower with Omni-Logo except the Unicorns.
    However, as I can neither dig out any information regarding the exact structure of the omni-tek armed forces we are back to speculations and ideas. But that is good, cause it may allow us at some point to say: "yes, that sounds like omni-tek, that is how it is."

Personally I kinda like that std. 3 branch system but only cause it is as it is in our time.
    Which again is bad. Lets see if we can up with a structure that is better adapted to the times of AO and the way OT operates.
    Devdas,

I'm not sure why this is bad. I think the attitude of 'If it is familiar, it is bad.' is bad. Ronald D. Moore said in an interview once, the reason Battlestar Galacticia was fondly received because they decided to make many elements familiar and not alter them just for the sake of altering them. Examples he gave were that Chairs had four legs and diplomats wore suits. Sure, you can say in the year 29484 that all chairs must float and all diplomats must dress is bed sheets, but it will be less familiar.

The Three Branch System is refined form the 5 branch system we have in the United States. With the development of space faring naval ships it would lesson the need for branches such as the Air Force and the Coast Guard since a Carrier in Orbit could launch snubfighters and shuttles that would fulfill the roles of these departments.

Since not every planet would have, or be allowed, to have Corporate Naval assets in orbit I decided to keep the departments but relagate them to civilian defense forces which would simply fall under Naval authority should the Navy roll in.

I think it would make sense that any military branches are incorporated within the Armed-Forces department. With the Rosuma example, how I thought it would work was that he only had his rank/commission within the "army" but represented the collective Armed-Forces on the RK board.

So perhaps he's a Director of the Armed-Forces, but technically Lt. Gen. of something slightly different.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    I'm not sure why this is bad. I think the attitude of 'If it is familiar, it is bad.' is bad. Ronald D. Moore said in an interview once, the reason Battlestar Galacticia was fondly received because they decided to make many elements familiar and not alter them just for the sake of altering them.
    I didn't receive Battle Star Galactica that fondly. Anyways,
    As usual I exaggerated to carry over my point. A certain amount of familiarity is necessary. The more familiarity you put into your lore the wider spread the crowd you can attract with it.
    But for me fiction and especially science fiction is the best way to try out new things. Be it the influence on society of new technologies, totally different forms of societies, lifestyles, lifeforms, pretty much everything can be done different or exaggerated beyond the point of what is possible within the natural balancing of things.

The Three Branch System is refined form the 5 branch system we have in the United States.
    Actually the 3 branch system is internationally more common, it is just that some countries have only 2 (due to lack of ocean access) or more branches (e.g. 4.5 in USA (as the coast guard is only to be considered military during war-time... though.... no lets skip that as it would lead into a political discussion), 4 in Italy or France).

With the development of space faring naval ships it would lesson the need for branches such as the Air Force and the Coast Guard since a Carrier in Orbit could launch snubfighters and shuttles that would fulfill the roles of these departments.
    Why are they naval ships? Could be over-pimped space-shuttles or freaking huge offspring of a B-52. That's what I liked about Stargate, the ships were initially Air Force not Navy, dunno how it got later on.

After a couple of thousand years I would say it is no longer a "Navy" but a ... "Space Corps" with it own set of old traditions, pathos and stupid rules.

Coming to think about all this. I can see something like this.
    In the AO Universe there are two distinct different areas military forces have to operate in: Space and Planets. Considering that Planets are most likely utterly different from each other think about Star Wars::Bespin, Dune::Arrakis, Hyperion::Mare Infinitus and everything in between it would rather annoying to set up the right mix of three different branches that are all power-hungry and trigger-happy maniacs for each planet while the overall aspect of having troops on ground would be rather similar.
    Lets add to this all those every now and end then announced projects with "joint forces" in their names I end up with two major Branches within the Armed Forces: "Omni-Tek Space Corps" and "Omni-Tek Ground Forces".
    Lets through in the "Omni-Tek Marine Corps" as a sub of OTSC responsible for Planetary Landings, Boardings and Installation Guarding for the lore-familiarity-aspect. Everyone does know the USMC and it is a great template for military fiction.
    Maybe we can use a third branch for the military police either with jurisdiction only within the AF (like the German Feldjäger) or with civil duties too (like the French National Gendarmerie) for guarding cities. Could be named "Omni-Tek Provost".

I'm glad to see we've distilled this down to nomenclature, but are largely in agreement with the primary components of the make up.

Omni-Tek Naval Forces(NF) // Omni-Tek Space Corps

Omni-Tek Armed Forces(AF) // Omni-Tek Ground Forces

Omni-Tek Expeditionary Forces(EF) // Omni-Tek Marine Corps

Edit: Just wanted to add - the USMC does offer a great template - but in the USA they're not a sub-division of the Navy. They're an independent Organization which has a symbiotic relationship with the Navy. Navy Gets the Marines to the destination and gives them supporting fire. The Marines Land and secure the location to stop the incoming attack on the Navy vessels. This relationship causes a lot of animosity between Marines and Sailors IRL.
    Last edited by Trousers; Sep 21st, 2010 at 17:02:19.

Zee,
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't NATO a layer of management and not an actual military force? As far as I was aware, NATO would want to move American Military Assets and then the request would be made to that Department and then it would be up to that Department to fulfill the request - Not NATO commanding the vessels directly.
    Correct, and what I was alluding to. Think of Omni-AF as just a large layer of management that has the ability to draw resources suitable for whatever Military Task Force is required to get the job done, but it also has the ability to command those resources as needed.

I do find it interesting that there seems to be a purely military approach thinking to how people perceive the Omni-Tek forces makeup, and how it could be developed, but seem to be missing the fact that Omni-Tek is still a Hyper-Corporation that ultimately is all about business and greed.

No corporate entity, that wanted to maintain profit margins etc, would consider segmenting and maintaining large independent specialty areas for the sake of "if something happens we're ready". The typical approach is to have resources available, and able to be assembled to suit a purpose.

My thoughts are that by all means, make up whatever you want about the armed forces, but don't discard the overarching thought processes of a large corporate entity driving it all.
    Last edited by Zeephonz; Sep 21st, 2010 at 22:54:50.

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

Zee,

I think I understand what you're saying. I'm going to draft up a change to my speculation to come more in-line with I think you're saying. Once it's up let me know how close to home it lands.

I tried to write it as text and found myself tripping over my own thoughts, so, I decided to make a drawring.

Is this more in sync with what you were thinking Zee?

Last edited by Trousers; Sep 22nd, 2010 at 01:33:32.

Trousers,

Obviously based on what Devdas has posted, they can make things up as they go along if they feel like it, so what I'll be talking about is by no means definitive.

This post is about the current structure on Rubi-Ka with regards to Omni-Tek , based on Socialfly's overview of departments and accountability. This is stuff you guys already know, and I think I have interpreted it correctly but let me know if I got anything wrong.

The next step will be to show a similar set of images on how Omni-AF substructures may work, and taking a look from a corporate perspective, how it scales to meet demands.

Hope this is ok.

p.s - also read hierarchy from left to right, as I have interpreted it.
    Last edited by Zeephonz; Sep 22nd, 2010 at 09:23:57.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast