Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Follow-up player meeting: 15th October 18.00GMT in Reet Retreat

Follow-up player meeting: 15th October 18.00GMT in Reet Retreat

As agreed in the previous gathering 1st of October, a follow-up meeting will be held in two weeks.

OOC-player meeting: Sunday, 15th October 18.00 GMT, Reet Retreat (diner/cafe, the same room as last time)

Talking about importance of communication is not enough, we actually need to communicate too. The meeting is a heads-up on matters presented on last time, so should you have something you wish to share with others, the meeting is probably a good place for it.

The following things are perhaps talked about, too:

- Green cloak and the actual color of it.
    - AO Universe
    - More about general recruiting
    - What is roleplaying?
    - Why bother?

Oh good. I nodded off in the last one.

(( I had to bail due to wife aggro ))

Hopefully we can skew the cloak into a more palatable color.
    I just picked one up and it's being added to my list of hates, alongside pink, Omni-Tek and the Clans.

Quote Originally Posted by Keanne View Post
    As agreed in the previous gathering 1st of October, a follow-up meeting will be held in two weeks.

OOC-player meeting: Sunday, 15th October 18.00 GMT, Reet Retreat (diner/cafe, the same room as last time)

Talking about importance of communication is not enough, we actually need to communicate too. The meeting is a heads-up on matters presented on last time, so should you have something you wish to share with others, the meeting is probably a good place for it.

The following things are perhaps talked about, too:

- AO Universe
    - More about general recruiting
    - What is roleplaying?
    - Why bother?
    Cloak again? Booooo!
    AO Universe? Hell Yeah!
    Recruiting? always good!
    Definition of RP? tough discussion
    Well I guess we do bother since we going to meet again? Hell Yeah!
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Cloak again? Booooo!
    The concept was a good one with a lot of merit, it is something that Keanne chose to represent as a Green Cloak which may be one of the least tasteful items that we can all get our hands on, but aside from aesthetics - instead of sitting writing with { (( [ around all our words is a good idea.

The only downfall I see with actually wearing an item is the potential for there to be problems in getting equipment back on again. I am certain we have tried the social clothes / armour tab suggestion many times for me to not embark on that journey again.. but there is definitely some room for there to be something, be it an item of clothing, something we can hold, somewhere we can congregate which we label as a OOC area to plan events that can be agreed upon without it eating into valuable meeting time

Might we see if FC would actually allow a "name Coloration" that would be alot wiser in my opinion.. Wearing a cloak is to me like.. ugh.. I am way to fashion minded for that :P

Quote Originally Posted by Xaun View Post
    Might we see if FC would actually allow a "name Coloration" that would be alot wiser in my opinion.. Wearing a cloak is to me like.. ugh.. I am way to fashion minded for that :P
    Name coloration are an god idea. But when do you think the color should apear, IC or OOC?

There is one other thing with name color, is that people may be curiuos about how and why. And then the RP maybe drag more attention. But it can be abused too, some may think its fun to have colorised name and then they dont care if they RP or not.
    Knowlede of the past is the key to the future

Profile Soldatius

AO Universe - By Players, For Players! Gameplay/Quests/Locations Guides, News, Articles, Columns, AO Launcher Skins, Wallpapers, Maps, Utilities, Friendly Forums and the #1 Roleplaying Source for the community!

Quote Originally Posted by Soldatius View Post
    Name coloration are an god idea. But when do you think the color should apear, IC or OOC?

There is one other thing with name color, is that people may be curiuos about how and why. And then the RP maybe drag more attention. But it can be abused too, some may think its fun to have colorised name and then they dont care if they RP or not.
    Oh Oh!

IC: Greenyellow (a salute to greenies), check this Color Chart to see it.

Normal color (white) means you're automatically OOC.

You switch to IC color only when you want to RP. How can this be done?

Here is the answer (mind you I ain't a Dev):

I recall that an item to make Tier 3 armor (I think Glyph of the Arcana) that MUST be in your inv (can't be transfered to bank) which changes your name from white color to red. Therefore an item CAN change the color of your name. This is probably based on html color code (so the color chart helps).

It wouldn't be hard to 'clone' the item, change the name of it and the color setting to Greenyellow. Instead of having it drop from a mob, add it to a basic shop terminal.

I'm thinking:

Name: Roleplaying Flag
    QL: 1

Description: A flag to let other rubikans you wish to interact with them on a personal level. Wearing the flag does not guarantee that you will be more approachable but it will allow others to know you may be open to speaking or dealing with them. (This is a tool specifically for roleplaying purposes, and you should only use it when being in-character; abuse or misuse of the item may violate game rules.)
    I think my concept is fair, since it includes a clear warning for those who may think to use the flag to harrass people OOC or misuse roleplaying for inappropiate behavior. The item should be very cheap, maybe 10 credits.

Also considering that there is already an item that affects name color it would probably take a very short time to create the item for the RP community.

My 2 credits.

Edit: Just thought of something...you can't switch back to white without deleting the item or tranfering it to another character, and since the original is unique...hmm. The easy solution is to make the item worth 1 credit and when you're done RP you delete it because its cheap to replace. It is likely that zoning may be require for a new color to take effect.
    Last edited by Windguaerd; Oct 5th, 2006 at 06:47:27.
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).

If Devs would create such an item, i believe it would be as easy to say "on use of item, do colorchange" and just check whats the current color, and use the other one, then "cloning" some existing item and change it's reference.
    I'm pretty sure, deleting that item everytime from your inventory and run back to a shop to buy a new one will make you nuts after a while
    AO-Universe - The Leet Place To Be

for those of us who never wish to leave character.. I see no problem.. my name would always be greenish-yellow

but a good bit of suggestions windgaeurd. I would love to see this work. I would even give my "Glyph of the Arcana" to an alt of mine to hold (ie the red name). To me this is the simplest way to identify people who are In-character if they would do it. Wearing a robe is troublesome as some people have to twink their back items on and also.. it would make us all look like drones or to similar. I can see it now. All three factions in one room wearing green robes.. boy wouldn't that look original

Please please dev's add this for the RP community.

I'd rather see the color be from being incharater myself. or some sort of flag like the **'s for PVP.

Like Kuri said, Devs would have to do it. and they are busy with LE, sooooooo.... might be a while.

Few words to clarify my original proposition and to answer some issues named on this thread:

-Green cloak looks ugly (or in fact, IS ugly)

That's the point. Practically no one is using it normally (at least not twice). There's no need for "style" in OOC, as it's just chatting about OOC-matters with other players. Of course there could be OOC-roleplayer channel in irc, accessible by one bot or another, but... that's more work than it's worth, especially as we already have the chat-client (AO.exe) to be used. And let's face it, not everyone would know about the bot/channel, just like not everyone will ever know about the meaning of the cloak.

It's also much easier to notice someone in green cloak than it is to notice that the same person is holding violet rose in his or her left hand.

-Twinking

It's also not necessary for EVERYONE to wear the cloak. If there are two players meeting and no one is around... it's totally up to them to figure out whether the disussion is IC or OOC or something else. If there's more people, and some of them are wearing green cloaks, it's safe to assume the whole discussion is OOC, should yet another person wander by and see a cloak. After all, someone IC can't IC talk to someone OOC.

-Additions to the client by FC

I for one am not going to hold my breath waiting for a name-coloring item to appear. So, while waiting for it, the cloak serves an useable, existing alternative. There's a reason why I've never organized a live-action game in a medieval castle: I don't have one. And if there would be an item to change a characters name, non-roleplayers would use it, not to grief rp:rs, but for fun. And IF someone reading this thread can tell someone else that he or she is roleplaying wrong, I really want to hear the justification behind such claim.

I don't think the whole issue of discerning IC from OOC is a major one, I haven't yet encountered situation where the difference between IC and OOC could not have been sorted out by talking. With larger groups of players, a clear signal would just make things run smoother, that's all. Roleplaying doesn't need rules.

/rant off

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Edit: Just thought of something...you can't switch back to white without deleting the item or tranfering it to another character, and since the original is unique...hmm. The easy solution is to make the item worth 1 credit and when you're done RP you delete it because its cheap to replace. It is likely that zoning may be require for a new color to take effect.
    (( Or make it so that if it's in a backpack, the flag is disabled. I really like the idea of an RP flag item.))

Roleplaying doesn't need rules.
    But i think not to metagame and not do hostile-RP are good rules for roleplaying after all...

Anyway, if people run around in ugly green cloaks "often", might have the same effect as one person with a green name standing around somewhere else. If people get used to it, and figure out what it means, it surely will have it's effect.
    AO-Universe - The Leet Place To Be

Roleplaying doesn't need rules.
    Actually, it does.

There are people out there that roleplay as sexual predators, cannibals, torturers, etc. Things which in our society is de****able but in a fantasy/roleplaying atmosphere there are adults willing to do it with consent from other people.

In my eyes as an adult as long as everyone doing it are adults and are in complete agreement, it's fair game...it's their own way of roleplaying....BUT because AO does have underage players and not all adults would be able to ignore such behavior (even tho its RP) I would certainly not like seen such behaviour in public.

I think most roleplayers would agree on this, therefore it is an unwritten rule (covered by the EULA as well as a form of harrasment).

So..RP does have rules, how many of us would actually acknowledge a guy who claimed to be Phillip Ross' illegitimate gay son who slept with Radiman to create a bridge between them and now is sleeping with a Dust Brigade General to convince him to end their terrorist activities?

Rules do apply, some are obvious to the experienced roleplayer, others are less obvious and are based on personal point-of-view regarding RP.

Rules set in stone tend to fog up things.

if the community starts bible-thumping rules left and right we'll end up growing a buch of up tight "RPers" hell bent on following *everything* by the book. Which makes for an unfriendly enviorment, and thusly scares off the fresh meat.

The only thing you every really need to keep in mind as a roleplayer, is that on the other side of the screen is another living person. Someone whom would like to see their toon in the spotlight as much as you do. Give them that much in respect to your own.

Omni, Clan, Nuet, Pol, NLF, Sentinel, Knight, Unionist, Reform, Mining, We all have the common goal to bring life to the world around our characters.

Rules are nice, so is freeform. Respect and logic before Ego. (not Eggo.... Mmm waffles....)

Quote Originally Posted by Kotts View Post
    Rules set in stone tend to fog up things.
    My point exactly. Naturally normal laws apply when roleplaying, and in Anarchy Online, all players are expected to follow EULA (even if... some of us haven't exactly read it thoroughly...), but that doesn't make local laws and EULA "rules of roleplaying".

Some common guidelines usually help things out, streamlining the process etc, but they are not necessary for a succesfull roleplaying experience, nor a guarantee for one.

The problem with player-created rules (not just in RP) is that you end up with two sets of players - those who know about the "rules" and those who don't. It usually ends up that those who know about the rules are in the minority as most players don't read game-related message boards or web sites, they just play the game.

Sure, you can set up rules for yourselves if you like, but don't be upset if other players don't know about them or choose to simply ignore them.
    Last edited by Nevver; Oct 6th, 2006 at 17:42:30.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

I think realistically. We're going to have to not rely on ARK or FC. I'm not saying that because ARK sucks. Or FC doesn't listen to the playerbase. I'm saying that because ARK's primary concern is Customer Service, and FC's primary concerns at the moment are Lost Eden & Conan.

I like the Green cloak idea because it's an existing thing that requires no changes to the game.

The colored naming idea would be good. But there is nigh on 0% probability FC will do it because it would generate far too much work for them during a time when they are a little stretched.

( These are my opinions )
    GorgeFodder3 - Deceased
    NotumFodder - New and improved with 80% more loyalty to Omni

Till All Are Free?

Cookies for Nevver and Gorge.

I think the conversation is drifting. The proposal has been made that "green cloaks" can be worn as visible sign that a toon is currently ooc, kind of like a graphic equivalent of the "(( ))" notation used in text.

There is no requirement that everyone conform to this convention. If you find this convetion useful, use it. If you don't find it useful , don't use it.

If you have alternative suggestion that is as workable and which is substantially better, please do share it. But let's not burn all the budget and goodwill surrounding this roleplaying meeting discussing the colour of a cloak.

The focus has to be on "what practical measures can we take to help support the rolepalying community". How to denote OOC is surely only one aspect of the this.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast