Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OOC: Storyline Updates

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to agree with the people saying that RPers do (or at least did) have a reasonable influence in the game. Years ago, before SL, I was on Atlantean as a neutral (oh no, he didn't! ). Several neutral orgs got together, and "purchased" forces for Newland City to shoot Clanners on sight in retaliation for The Sentinels shooting neutrals on sight in Tir. The NLC forces were NPCs put there after the purchase. Elite Operations was the neutral org that spear-headed the purchase, and I was part of that organization at the time.

There's even a record of it in the official AO timeline. January 21, 29477.

The following is brought to you by Shameless Advertising, LLC:
    Feyde is returning to Rubi-ka! Where has he been? Why did he leave? Will he be with Bravo Unit? Find out these answers and more in the upcoming forum thread to be released early March!
    Last edited by Feyde; Feb 28th, 2008 at 00:54:23.
    Bastian "Feyde" Wolfgang ((Rimor))
    Roleplaying Profile of Bastian "Feyde" Wolfgang
    The story continues: "Live by the Sword..."

Exclamation Idea.

The question:

How to revive RP in a big way?

We are so small a group that we know each other by name. Do all the PvP'ers know each other? They don't even have a PvP forum unless you want to count "Life on ... "

Even most member of the role-playing orgs are not really into it. Something that just occurred to me.

Make a time and date weekly on rotation. All the RP'ers on RK2 go to RK1 one week for an impromptu few hours of RP. Not one of those focused things where an LTC rocks up and we all revolve around them but where we do something like try and act like good citizens in Borealius.

Then the following week host the RK1 RP'ers on RK2.
    More Barbie instead of GI Joe game content, please!
    *Yngvild Lothe* ex AO quest designer -- "... So now you just want cheap thrills..." Classic server.
    Role Playing guide
    • Main account = Classic.

Phasefront can go jump in the ... oh wait it is already there!
    (Since openning, I have used the West Gate, Battle Station or NL grid point, twice).
    ALLNEUTS - always helping new players, regardless of faction.
    Neutral, can mean real freedom for you. ||| New year's resolution - stay off these forums. Hope you are happy now.
    Expansions don't enhance the game, they just extend it and make the beginning easier to catch up in order to race frantically at the "front"

Kahava - "... we had a civil community."

Quote Originally Posted by Jenshai View Post
    The question:

How to revive RP in a big way?

We are so small a group that we know each other by name. Do all the PvP'ers know each other? They don't even have a PvP forum unless you want to count "Life on ... "
    I don't know about Neuts or Clans, but Omni is highly structured in the PvP community, and is why we're able to do so well once the Clan exploiters were banned.

Even most member of the role-playing orgs are not really into it. Something that just occurred to me.
    That's correct, but that also can't be helped. If every Org housed just 1 RolePlayer the community would be much larger then what it is now. All we can do is hope to turn people onto the notion, and hope that FC and ARK do the same, albeit unlikely that they will.

Make a time and date weekly on rotation. All the RP'ers on RK2 go to RK1 one week for an impromptu few hours of RP. Not one of those focused things where an LTC rocks up and we all revolve around them but where we do something like try and act like good citizens in Borealius.

Then the following week host the RK1 RP'ers on RK2.
    I for one am opposed to this. RK2 has a great core team of RolePlayers. I say we spend our time honing our skills and rearing our young so that we can become better then we are now. Abandoning our Server, or hosting an influx of foreigners who's interests lie on another server, I feel will end up hurting us as a whole in the long run.

If you're really interested in improving the community get in touch with me sometime.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Yeah I agree we should affect it, but that is with players in general. Not limited to roleplayers.

I myself believe that RP'rs have a greater effect on the storyline than you might think. I have a plan in the works that was meant to upgrade clan troops in athens and the surrounding countryside similar to how it was done to neutrals, and i rp'd alot of the details that this move entailed. From diplomatic relations to certain CoT memebers, to even proposing that players come up with some startup capitol IC to get the ball rolling.

I think the idea still has potential, and I was suprised how much it was supported (verbally at least). If said plan were to pan out, then I would prove that players can and DO have an effect after all, by proxy.

But, right now, players do change things.. its just not huge world changing stuff. Im certain FC and ARK at some point in time had set limitations on what we could get away with. Rightfully so, as well. If players were allowed to make huge amounts of change, then developers and the like would have a much harder time trying to please everyone. Especially if what one RP'r cooked something up and didnt get quite the translating they may have been looking for.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Well I think effecting the storyline with a major impact and change would be like things are in real life. You come up with an idea, and you get people to back your idea, so much so that FC would have no choice but to change things.

One person can make a difference but most of the time they have people behind them.
    Just because you can't log in and change the storyline because you just feel like it, doesn't mean you don't have an effect.
    Sometimes I have to wonder if some people aren't upset because they're not getting all the spotlight or control.

*Murmurs to the wind:*

Funny how two people can have exactly the same opinion of each other.

Trousers: check the time stamps you will see the irony.
    Last edited by Jenshai; Mar 20th, 2008 at 22:38:38.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12