Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prefs Moved to App Data Folder

Quote Originally Posted by Misat0 View Post
    Type %LOCALAPPDATA% in the Explorer address bar at the top and press enter, it will then change to that directory and show its path in the address bar.
    Once I found the App Data folder (I typed c:\%appdata%) I was able to follow your instructions in your post #3 above ... it took me awhile to make sure I was in fact following them correctly, but it seems to have worked for the first toon I tried.

Only problem I had was that I could not find the dockarea stings you mentioned in the last bullet item. Was I supposed to open each dockarea until I found one with "friends" inside?

Thank you again

Kinnik

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    *snip*

Only problem I had was that I could not find the dockarea stings you mentioned in the last bullet item. Was I supposed to open each dockarea until I found one with "friends" inside?
    Yep, do that or try a file content search in the Explorer while in the DockAreas directory. Might be the faster approach if you got many files in there.
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Why this change?
    Because it is the correct way to store user configuration data on Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. The old way was OK in the Windows 9X/ME era where the filesystem was FAT32 and there were no security permissions. On Windows Vista and above, where you are not running with full admin rights until the UAC prompt pops up not doing things the correct way causes things to not work.

Anyhoo, thanks to the devs for finally fixing this.
    Glarawyn L220 OT Adventurer
    It's good to be furry.
    ----
    Lilredhot L220 OT Enforcer
    Don't mind me, I tank without a helmet.
    ----
    Gunslinger19 L150 OT Soldier
    There's a word for people who think everyone's out to get them: perceptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Glarawyn View Post
    Because it is the correct way to store user configuration data on Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.

On Windows Vista and above, where you are not running with full admin rights until the UAC prompt pops up not doing things the correct way causes things to not work.
    Makes sense for individual prefs, and I'm glad for the change in that respect, but the whole GUI? Not so much. Custom GUIs are manually installed. As are custom maps. UAC has nothing to do or say about dropping files into a folder.

On a side note, can we can get the save password function back now?
    Because Race Yalm

Quote Originally Posted by MajorOutage View Post
    Custom GUIs are manually installed. As are custom maps. UAC has nothing to do or say about dropping files into a folder.

On a side note, can we can get the save password function back now?
    That doesn't have anything to do with, well, anything in this case.

The problem stems from the practice of installing software (especially games) which may need to write files in their installation folder to the "Program Files" folder, where only the system and administrator level OS users have write permission. When an app is running in "normal" mode (as in, non-installation/update), it should only be reading data installed there, but not write any of it, so it doesn't need write permissions to begin with, thus all is well. Unless it works like AO and also stores dynamic data in its own installation folder which it needs to write too, not just read, which it normally couldn't, unless it's permanently run with admin priviledges.

Moving all dynamic data out of the installation folder and to the proper place (where there is full access for the OS user account "owning" that dolder) remedies this issue for users who simply install everything into "Program Files", but it indeed just creates more inconvenience to those who know it's not the best idea to install games there to begin with.

And storing the password also doesn't have anything to do with this. Since, by default, any and all OS user accounts (and processes running under them) have read perissions to almost everything (except the protected data folders of other OS users present on the system), malware that was designed to acquire the content of a certain file can still do it.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Grrr stay of my c: drive i try to avoid placing stuff there as much as possible.
    Rimor Server
    Robotgubben lvl 173/14/29 engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Sweede View Post
    Grrr stay of my c: drive i try to avoid placing stuff there as much as possible.
    Well, just change your system variables to point elsewhere
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    The next build for TL has a convenient button in the Launcher's options to find the folder.
    I don't see any, i'm i blind or was this forgotten?
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Go to settings in login-handler. (Where you set your video device etc.)
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Ah ok, 3 settings.
    Got it, thanks!
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Heh... Was my exact thought as well... :-)
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Any easy way besides logging in to tell which folder goes to which character?
    Wallybertius, 200 Omni Engineer Solitus, male
    de-facto leader of Alt.org.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Long story short: Thingie with the stuff. *nods sagely*

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Heh... Was my exact thought as well... :-)

Assuming you have an ssd your users folder shouldnt be on your ssd/C drive anyway as that can get huge and is written to a lot.

This change is pretty laughable. The whole "appdata" folder thing annoys me (for all apps, not specifically AO)

Every app should just throw itself neatly into one folder. Thanks.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkstaah View Post
    This change is pretty laughable. The whole "appdata" folder thing annoys me (for all apps, not specifically AO)

This... Exactly this.... times 10^100

Quote Originally Posted by adeptall View Post
    Assuming you have an ssd your users folder shouldnt be on your ssd/C drive anyway as that can get huge and is written to a lot.
    That would only be an issue if I had a too small SSD.... A decently sized (for the purpose) SSD will have absolutely no issue with a "lot" of writes... It's not like it will be serving a huge web server database 24/7/365 or something like that

terrible idea for multi-user environments.
    get over windows98 and join the rest of us in the current millenia.

truly windows has failed to make proper equivalent of /home where all user settings reside, but appdata is the best change for ages.
    Last edited by Otansaanpas; Feb 11th, 2013 at 00:29:59.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

There is a special kind of hell for folks that agree with your statement. One that is not nearly populated enough for my tastes...
    keep smiling
    Najade s, Najengi s, Najngi s, Najmp s, Shadysannz, Toccata, Frobos, Chaodoc, Najcrat, Najtank
    sannz - ENL - NR01-GOLF-11
    a time of changing has begun; the leaves are fallen and undone; inside my spirit starts to run; and all my fears are overcome. - Chiasm, Rewind, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    terrible idea for multi-user environments.
    get over windows98 and join the rest of us in the current millenia.

truly windows has failed to make proper equivalent of /home where all user settings reside, but appdata is the best change for ages.
    My PC is not a multi-user environment... An option to install for single or multi-user environment would be neat though.

Single user: Everything neat and tidy in a single folder, located according to the users choice
    Multi-user: %appdata% + whatever...

Man... do none of you people use ANY other programs than AO? Quite amazing that this game has a collection of people who uses mainly Windows XP and earlier, as well as never play other games newer than AO as well as never using a single program of any kind newer than AO. Amazing.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast