Thread: Thoughts and suggestions from a returning player...

Lightbulb Thoughts and suggestions from a returning player...

Hello,

I started playing AO just a month or so after release. It was obvious the potential for AO was tremendous. But like many Rubikans, just a few months after I began my journey in Rubi-Ka, I left somewhat dismayed, annoyed and thirsty for something just like AO but that actually worked properly.

At the time, the state of AO was bad, real bad. The PR we got from Funcom was much less than desirable and the bugs (Ohhhh.. the bugs!), nerfs, stability issues, lack of interesting content, and exploits were just horrendous. What could one do but throw their arms up an just walk away, wishing it had been different?

It turned out there wasn't anything like AO out at the time. As a matter of fact I still don't think there is. Earth and Beyond, in my opinion, is a joke. SWG looks interesting and the graphics look good but still not as good as AO (personal opinion here).

Well about three months ago word had reached me that AO was on the up and up. So I dragged out the AO box, wiped of the dust, and installed it.

AO, though far from perfect, has done nothing less than a complete 180. I see much better responses to questions than previously (although it seems the NTs are still a little neglected), still a few visible bugs (but no show stoppers), the game balance is much better (but still needs some tweaking), I haven't crashed since I installed AO, and there is much more to do now than before. So congratulations to the AO team. Somehow you pulled through. I suggest you continue the trend.

I would also like to say a quick word about "Prophet Without Honor." From my perspective it was released at the worst possible time. Many Rubikans were very frustrated with the current state of AO and very critical of Funcom. As a result this story gained quite a bit of unwarranted criticism, from myself as well.

Now that I am in a different mindset, I decided to try to read it again. Interestingly, I am enjoying it. So I apologize to the author, Ragnar Tornquist, for my previous unfavorable and unfair review. It is a very enjoyable story.

Now to the real suggestions:

1) One minor item that has always bothered me is that during teaming the nano formula effects that are cast during battles, particularly by Doctors and Nano Technicians, are not always visible by the other players.

In my mind this detracts from the effectiveness of what is one of AO's strengths. Its wonderful graphics and effects that really add to role-playing and the overall 'feel' of AO.

Can you fix this, so that all team members nano effects are seen by all, from the start (the waving of the hands) to the final effects?

The interesting thing is sometimes I see the effects other times the nano casting individual is just standing there and I only see the effect scroll by the text window.

2) Can you provide even more detail of what the Booster Pack will offer? Specifically, what kind of improved graphics/music can I expect? Will all of AO look better or just certain aspects? You have been quite specific about the land ownership aspect of the booster pack. I would like to know more about the other additions as well.

3) Is there anything you can do to make Nano Technicians a little more effective in PvP?

4) It is disturbing that a level 75 Rubikan can get nailed by someone who is level 200. What chance does the level 75er stand? I don't understand why that is the case. Can you explain?

5) Can you fix the weird Yalmaha bug that makes Rubikans look really tiny?

I guess that's good for now.

If you made it this far thanks! Any constructives comments or additions would be very welcome.

Bye!

Re: Thoughts and suggestions from a returning player...

Originally posted by Thrin

3) Is there anything you can do to make Nano Technicians a little more effective in PvP?
    They kill me fast enough as it is now, thanks.

BUUUUMP

Re: Thoughts and suggestions from a returning player...

1) One minor item that has always bothered me is that during teaming the nano formula effects that are cast during battles, particularly by Doctors and Nano Technicians, are not always visible by the other players.

In my mind this detracts from the effectiveness of what is one of AO's strengths. Its wonderful graphics and effects that really add to role-playing and the overall 'feel' of AO.

Can you fix this, so that all team members nano effects are seen by all, from the start (the waving of the hands) to the final effects?

The interesting thing is sometimes I see the effects other times the nano casting individual is just standing there and I only see the effect scroll by the text window.
    As a doctor I have the particle effects turned off. The high level heals have very big and bright red particle effects, and since I play in third-person, seeing these effects repeatedly hurts my eyes

4) It is disturbing that a level 75 Rubikan can get nailed by someone who is level 200. What chance does the level 75er stand? I don't understand why that is the case. Can you explain?

3 - NTs are effective enough, if you do it right. Granted - defensive professions with good debuffs and/or healing are very strong in duels, but in mass battles, NTs can be incredible.

4 - YES! It is indeed very disturbing, and I'd love to see this changed.

5 - YES! Bump for the pixied person fix.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Re: Re: Thoughts and suggestions from a returning player...

Reality: They kill me fast enough as it is now, thanks.
    Um do you play an engi? cause unless an NT has NS1 or 2, he cant do a 1 on 1 pvp battle. easy fix: make NS drop more. will it happen? nope

1) One minor item that has always bothered me is that during teaming the nano formula effects that are cast during battles, particularly by Doctors and Nano Technicians, are not always visible by the other players
    Jynne its great you have effects turned on, but by people not seeing them they have at some times thought i was ninja looting, because i'm just standing there. very annoying, left 2 or 3 teams cause they couldn't understand why i was standing still. needs fix, wont be though

5) bump for that, very annoying and has been around forever.
    Spewing truth from every orifice.
    Fixanox - Member of Eternal Fury.
    Cronoco

Lightbulb Thanks for the clarification Cronos...

I agree with Cronos about NT 1 vs 1 PvP.

I should have been more specific. But without something like Nullity Sphere (or some small NT improvement). 1 on 1 PvP
    for an NT is very difficult, if not impossible against a decent pvper.

Although, I agree with the earlier post that
    a NT in a group is very effective even without Nullity Sphere.

There are very few NTs who have Nullity Sphere. I personally
    have been looking for Nullity Sphere for the last month without
    any success. During my search I have notice a few things:

1) The "good" spots to get Nullity Sphere are heavily camped by very high level players (most of which are not NTs) who will steal every, and I mean every, spawn from you and kill the mobs in mass.

There seems to be around the clock camping from what I can tell.
    It is also these same players (the high level campers) who then sell Nullity Sphere over and over again for extremely high prices.

For example, if you do a user search for user Deltatekk you will find in the last month and a half he has sold three Nullity Sphere I instruction discs (plus quite a few other rare items).

This is beyond coincidence that he is just find this very rare nano by pure luck. He is not the only one doing this. There are quite a few others as well. Simply, find out who is selling Nullity Sphere then look at how many times they have sold it.

This is not healthy. What is happening is that a very small percentage of the AO population is massing a large percentage of the wealth in AO. This is certain to cause balance issues and much frustration for us poor peasants.

If Funcom does not feel comfortable making this nano less rare then it should make it drop on any QL90ish MOB but with less frequency. That way there will be no where to camp for it, and all Rubikans will have an equal chance to get it.

Again, I totally agree with Cronos about the effects not being seen by other players. I have also been accused of looting since my NT appears to be just standing there doing nothing to them.

It's about time this was fixed or at a minimum can we get a reply from a Funcom moderator?

Thanks and Bye!