Thread: So few PvP-er's, Why are the devs making content for them?

Question So few PvP-er's, Why are the devs making content for them?

PvP is so a small part of AO

The threads on these boards show it

The disgust at changes to the PvM experience to make PvP better.

If I wanted PvP, I would be playing (insert long list of Doom, Quake, CS, UT, etc...) type games

Do what other games have done - make a PvP server

RK-PvP 0% gas zones everywhere

and watch how little of your customer base flocks to that server
    My husband came home with a tube of KY jelly and said, "This will make you happy tonight!"

He was right. When he went out of the bedroom, I squirted it all over the doorknobs. He couldn't get back in.

Q : What must a woman do when a man is running around in circles?
    A : Reload, adjust the scope, and carry on shooting.

A couple are lying in bed. The man says: "I am going to make you the happiest woman in the world"

The woman says : "I will surely miss you"

pvp content = high level content

Basically there is nothing else to do at high levels.

And never mind that either, the game is supposed to be a pvp game with a conflict between two opposing sides. If someone doesn't want to pvp they probably shouldn't have bought this product.
    Sredniaka Sherrmanaka Posthasteaka Thanatopsysaka Vashtareliusaka Nnerroaka Alexxander

"Quidquid latine dictum, sit altum viditur"

Sredni Vashtar went forth,
    His thoughts were red thoughts and his teeth were white.
    His enemies called for peace, but he brought them death.
    Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
    by HH Munro

Uhm.. Exactly what content has been made for the PvP community?

pssst *whispers* I think he means the booster
    Sredniaka Sherrmanaka Posthasteaka Thanatopsysaka Vashtareliusaka Nnerroaka Alexxander

"Quidquid latine dictum, sit altum viditur"

Sredni Vashtar went forth,
    His thoughts were red thoughts and his teeth were white.
    His enemies called for peace, but he brought them death.
    Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
    by HH Munro

Originally posted by Sherrman
    pssst *whispers* I think he means the booster
    I can't remember seeing that it ever said that gas levels will be reduced around the towers?

I can't remember seeing that it ever said that gas levels will be reduced around the towers?
    Did you even think before you wrote that?

The whole booster is based around large-scale guild-wide PvP.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=46123

That thread contains all the official information that has come out of FC regarding the booster pack.

It says:

- Q: How will the basics land control work?
    A: Organisations can control land by placing a controller in predefines areas. The controller can be destroyed to free the area again. To help defend the area, the controlling organisation can place towers of different kinds.

It seems to me that defense is performed by placing "towers" that are sort of a stationary mob to defend the area. It doesn't say anything about PvP.

Q: What about low level organisations and low level players in big organisations?
    A: Areas will come in different level ranges. We are making methods that means that some of these areas cannot be fought over by high-levels, like a level range on them.
    Pardon me.. but that pretty much says 'PvP' all over it.

I'd also like to ask you to show a bit of common sense.. players can place towers to assist in area defense - a fortification of sorts - but the bulk of the conflict will be between warring factions vying for land. Think about it.. it's not going to be a bunch of people running around shooting at big buildings.

If you're going to control land.. if you're going to place these towers, it will be in your best interest to protect both the land and the towers. What does this amount to? Large-scale, guild-wide PvP.

Really, think about it.

Warlock, controllers will be placable in 75% areas (still only predefined areas for land control though), and will change the suppression gas level in the area (to be more specific; In the 'zone', not in the entire 'playfield').
    The above is a quote from Cz.. coming from http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...0&pagenumber=1.

That entire thread reeks of PvP as well, btw.

Originally posted by Nyderach

The above is a quote from Cz.. coming from http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...0&pagenumber=1.

That entire thread reeks of PvP as well, btw.
    Ok, sorry, I didn't know about that. I don't have time to read every post on theese forums to find out things like this, I just read the official FAQ and hope I can get all the info from that.

This is not a flame of you Nyderach, just a complaint on the way FC handles the flow of information around here.

np.. I'm just hoping FC gets the booster pack done right, it has the potential to be pretty neat.

hello ..? anyone realize we are at war ..? how to you plan on winning a war without bashing someones head in..? do you plan on just talking it out and shouting till yoru blue in the face .. pfft no way .... I have stated it once, I will state it again, when the time comes I will take me and what clanners will come with me and storm the walls of omni-1 .. and I will be rather upset if all was there was a bunch of npcs .. we are at war .. ppl fight in wars .. deal with it.
    *on a side note I said when the time comes .. as in .. not now .. the main reason ppl pvp is because they are so bored due to lack of content*
    Devis 194 Agent Retired
    Xxdevisxx 200 Engi
    ----------------
    VASHBot A simple and secure guild/raid bot for AO
    VASHBot Forums

*IF* we are at war they should just maybe not allow clan and omni to group together.

Fear is the Mind Killer.
    You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?

I'd go for a WAR, but getting rooted while running to a mission doesn't feel quite that epic, rofl.

BTW, isn't the war, like...over? Aren't we in a cease-fire?

We must be, because you can WHOMPA from Trade to Tir. I'd think an invasion would be rather easy when you can take public transportation.
    Rogoff AKA Mr. Brumble - 59 Omni Bureaucrat (RK2)
    Goodz 55 Fixer, (RK2)
    Goodzz 25 MP - Afrolicious, freaky and habit-forming

Mercinax: "/me casts afro containment field on Goodzz"

Originally posted by Devis
    hello ..? anyone realize we are at war ..? how to you plan on winning a war without bashing someones head in..?
    There is NO war. Why do you people think that just because your l33t Org leader says that it's a war, it must be a war.

First and foremost, this is a roleplaying game with a backdrop story of a war-torn world, with three 'opposing' factions. War is a facet or Rubi-Ka's past, and while there is still conflict, no war has been declared that is supported by the story.

PvP is a diversion. It exists for a few reasons.

a) Chest-beating primates who do not know what 'roleplaying' means.

b) boredom relief

c) inter-player competition

Why is content geared towards PvP? It's a diversion. It keeps us occupied while Funcom figures out how to entertain us with other content, while not asking us to re-roll.

~Hoopspro

Originally posted by Devis
    hello ..? anyone realize we are at war ..? how to you plan on winning a war without bashing someones head in..? do you plan on just talking it out and shouting till yoru blue in the face .. pfft no way ....

Hello? Nobody dies in this game, everyone can Ressurect from Reclaim terminals, How do you win a war with Immortals?

Answer, You cant.
    Fix: Our enemys are going to have to be NPC/Event Chars :P
    ¤ Cloudeeeh “Cloudeh MKII” 120 Solitus 1HB Enforcer
    ¤ Cloudeh Dead : 176 Solitus 1HB Enforcer
    ¤ Blizzaga Dead : 96 Solitus Soldier Wannabe
    ¤ Firraga Dead : 64 Opifex “Not a Real Fixer” GA Honey
    ¤ Kjataa Dead : 53 Opifex Morphex Agent Wannabe :]
    I am a Tragic Figure
    Strenghtening, Shroud of night, Waiting weak for Taste of blood, Beneath a halo..Eternal light, I survive, Breathe on.
    Inhuman, Undying, Feast of blood now Pulse through me, Immortal..I'm undying, Eternal..Undead!

[size=0.1]C.L.O.U.D.: Cybernetic Lifeform Optimized for Ultimate Destruction[/size]