Thread: Hex editing item references

Question Hex editing item references

I have heard there is a way to hex edit Item references to say what you want... does anyone know a website that explains this? Everyone in game is a big dork about it and " realy want to keep it a secrt sry "

that is just bunk...
    Level 220 16 Philip "Phil" Proteus, Engineer Equipment

ha ha ha! I found the answer

for anyone interested it's here

and BTW: even though there's disclaimers all over the place, cosmik apparently said it was ok to do, since you're only editing files stored on your harddrive

Stupid reason to get banned

7. You may not modify, or try to modify, any part of the Anarchy Online Client, Anarchy Online Server or any part of the Anarchy Web Pages located at http://www.anarchy-online.com

I think I would check with Cosmik again on that.

And btw, client = files stored on your hard drive
    Last edited by Hithorn; Jul 24th, 2002 at 15:44:25.

Nope try out this thread Here

cosmik says they have no problem with it at this time...
    Last edited by Phil; Jul 25th, 2002 at 16:53:19.

References are something that your client produces. They are not part of client. It's like screenshots. We are not allowed to edit them?
    postcount++

reason why people dont tell other people how to do it is 90% of the people who try it do it wrong and end up messing up their reference file (which resets it)

it isn't easy to do. I know how to do it yes. I also know how to change an item reference to any other existing item of any other quality (granted i dont have the item though just a reference to it)

Its kinda like this. are you not allowed to edit ms word files with your copy of word?

Learn something new everyday!

I saw a better guide somewhere...and a neat (as much as hex editing tools can be) tool. There's a link to that site here somewhere on boards.

And yes, it's a bit tedious.

edit:
    Here as I'm nice and it's boring at work...which means everything runs like a charm. Not like MINE charm mind you
    Last edited by Cozy; Jul 25th, 2002 at 07:22:33.
    postcount++

See now that doesnt make any sense... you say people keep it a secret because its difficult and when you screw up it resets the references... well thats the beauty of it, its idiot proof.. when you screw up it only resets the reference you were working on, and losing a reference isnt a big deal in the first place.. even with that dinky guide at the top, I still figured out how to do it quite well in about 20 minutes yesterday... it not really hard.

However I was wondering about the item references, they seem to be in the form of (something like) .....YY..u....... and theres really not much to edit... if you know please share the knowledge

also, I noticed that when you edit references of other people, they can only be so long... but a reference of yourself seems to allow more characters.. however, you can only have one of these... is there any info out there on exactly what the first 16 bytes of the reference do exactly? the last two bytes are the size of the reference I know, but what do the others do?
    Last edited by Phil; Jul 25th, 2002 at 16:51:56.

Unhappy

seriousyl, does anyone know how to edit the item refernces to show a certain item? The person references are easy to do but I still cant figure out the items... please help

http://webpages.charter.net/aofun

Download AO Refmaker. Totally simple, WITH colors, and it dosen't mess with any of the references you've already collected. The spacing can be kinda tricky, but paitence is a virtue.

Just make sure you dont use it while AO is running. hehe.

-Sand

Hind sight

Hind sight is a great mental tool for humans, but often its very embarassing or worse. I like the idea of the reference maker, however I won't use the program untill I hear from a Funcom REP.

I don't want to find out hind sight that its not wanted by Funcom or that I've been banned. Bad way to find these things out.

Can Cosmik or another FC Rep. give a yea or nea on Refmaker?

I can't see FC giving a damn one way or another as RefMaker dosent actually effect gameplay in the least.

Mostly people use it to make a 'shopping list' or 'services list', makeing things easier for everyone watching the shopping channel.

Altho... I have seen some fake items every so often, but they always seem to be made simply for the amusement value. (Like the NosaBlow MK-X I saw recently.. worth a chuckle).

-Sand

E-mail Response from Funcom

I E-Mailed and got this response from FC:

The Funcom stance is that we do not support third party programs and warn that when using them, you do so at your own risk. However, as long as the program is not set up to exploit any part of the game, we will not prohibit its use.

--
    Best Regards,

Geoffrey Higgins
    Funcom Support

Looks as though the reference generator is ok for now. As long as people don't abuse this one we have a new tool for roleplay!!
    "This town needs an enema!" The Joker, Jack Nicholson.

" I think I'll perplex him with my slowball" Bugs Bunny