Thread: Invasions

Invasions

Dunno if I've entered the right part of the board but heck. Been thinking about invasions in AO. The world is in war, Omni vs Clan. I know there're some 25% outposts, or I've heard that there are some. Playing with this thought that if it should be possible for a bounch of guilds to invade some of the bigger cities, i.e. Athen, Tir, Rome, Omni-Trade etc... Of course it would require enormous efforts to do that.

It would be a teaser if 7, 8 Organisations decides to take over a city or why not a bigger Outpost where it's currently not PvP zone. I know the down parts of this, that noone goes safe and the lower lvl characters are always in a danger, but this doesn't have to be in all cities.

I might be totally out and sailing in my fantasies, but I tend to drift away from time to time.

To do this you need player cooperation.

Sadly this sint going to happen anytime soon. Other then being pointless at this point in the game it is time consuming and well... no one would really give a flying **** if some tiny outpost or some large city was being "invaded by the opposing force".

Unless of course suppression gases were to drop, and FC would never evr do that. Too many people would be killed and loose valuable XP and ***** to FC.

Arrow

Frankly, the game simply isn't structured to support something like this. For this to work, the game world would have had to have been more segregated, with danger (and gas levels) dropping as you moved from well controlled areas toward disputed territories. It might even require soft level limits on zones to control PvP.

What we might see one day is outposts that can be taken over. Because the playfield is then entirely indoors, it is an easier environment to control and manage.

I think outpost takeovers could work. I posted the idea elsewhere, but here we go again:

The problem with outpost takeovers now is that you can kill all the guards you want, but fresh troops are simply warped in.

But what if outpostes in 25% and 0% supression had a "Security Office." This would be where the guards check in for their shift, get their assignments, check out APBs, etc. Wepon control (gun encampments and security droids) would also be in this office.

There would be a number to guards inside this building, and perhaps some holding cells with prisioners.

As the base siege is in progress, the ultimate goal would be to get inside and take over this security office, not an easy thing given the troops inside. (And since they're guards, you get no XP and no loot for killing them.)

Somewhere in the security office is the control system. A talented Fixer, Engineer, or someone with a high enough CompLit and B&E can access the system, and guards from the other side will warp in instead of the guards of the side that was holding the outpost.

Mission Terms and Insurance Terms would also change. (That's the real tricky part, anyone saved there would either resurect into a hostile area, or they're insurance records would have to be transfered to one of the startup cities or something)

The've planned for the ability for territory to be taken, possibly by the switching of guards. Someone would definately be happy if they made the game in the player's hands, but then the most l33t side with their ub4r loot would win in a week and AO would be over. Not fun. FC moles should control the attacks, despite their lack to do this so far. Then again it'd become obvious so....ARGH nothing works. Always a problem!!
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

Some day hopeing that it'll work... but the task shouldn't be easy, Glarawyns ideas doesn't seem too hard to implement. Besides the guards, you've alwyas have to think that there might be players at that outpost... if they decides to defend or run away, that's their pain. Though this kind of implementation would probably put some ****e to the world.

Make it small outposts at the moment, doesn't have to be big cities as I wrote before... Though it should still require several people / Organisations to complete such a task.

This Security office and hack into it is a good suggestion in how to obtain the outpost, and make your own sides guards to spawn in there... Perhaps there's a time frame when the guards arrives and you might have to defend the outpost after hacking the system for a sertain amount of time. (Should prevent the attackers to just leave the place after claiming the outpost theirs)

Perhaps a Vincinity message to both sides channel that says that "this outpost has been seiged by that side"... this gives the chance of more people to join in and try to reclaim the outpost, or reinforcements for the attacking side.

Is it just a dream or is it possible!? Should I wake up now?

Athen was hold by omni in rk2 one tim.
    Division 3 gather a large bunch of omni scum and attack athen, they killed every guard in the city many time hold it near that one hour.
    Was very fun, even if i'm a clanner

Labonne eng 134 rk2
    Labrutte enf 125 rk2
    and many more

Arrow

I posted an idea here and a slightly more refined form here - uses much of the material already available for missions, so should reduce overhead a bit...

I could have sworn they've planned on doing this for a long time. In fact, I was sort of expecting it to make into the game before Shadowlands. Large scale invasions have happened many times before in AO, but the problem is that it was basically "pointless" because you could never "win" whatever it was your were invading. It's still fun, though. Watching hordes of level 20s beating the pants off each other in Meetmedere during the second week of the game was one of the coolest things I ever experienced in AO

Anyway, point being that yes, invasions are fun, and yes, Funcom knows we like them, and yes, Funcom is going to put in ways for people to take over territory. Right now, there is no war. But I wouldn't be surprised to see this addition come into the game right around when the story finally puts us at war.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

Just copy the real world......

For the lower levels that people think will be unfairly ganked, well theres the 2 channels, one is omni herald or something and the other is voice of freedom, so when there is a invasion going on, gms or arks should go to these channels and warn everyone of the invasion, so that 1). Newbies would know that theres a war going on outside of the backyard, the backyard mission terminal should probably be changed during that time, so that the newbies can still level up while the others fight 2). High levelers could get the warning also, so that they might form multiple teams to counter the invasion.

The HQ idea was pretty good, only that I think there should be more of them. At least 4-10 per zone, reason being that if there was only one, then everyone would go for that place, if there were multiple ones, then there would be actual tactics, like which ones to take 1st, which one would benefit this side the most if taken over, etc etc.

If most of the zones should ever be changed to 25%, then te guards should also be upgraded, like from normal Male Corporals ( wearing white omni-pol armor ) to elite corporals ( wearing omni pol elite armor ), so that even those zones would act as a threat to 1-3 high level gankers. ( those of you who dont know yet, check 2ho, the guard there are easy, and a lot of newbies get mission there without knowing theres a level 180 doctor with a ithaca, waiting to gank the helpless newbie )