Thread: hmmmm...

hmmmm...

Someone mentioned this a bit ago, I forget who (Can't give credit to exact person sorry if you said it). But why not have the game's periphial input (keyboard/mouse) threads handled by windows? It would make a WORLD of difference. Here's a quick simple/basic test you can do to see why I say that.. Run Anarchy Online in a windowed mode. Goto say like Broken Shores or something, somewhere really laggy (I know why go there if you don't, trust me when you see the results of the difference it'll be worth it ).. Now move the mouse around within the game window, pretty slow, choppy like huh? Now mouse the mouse points onto the title bar of the Anarchy Online window, move from side to side on it, pretty quick eh? Now think of all the times your in imense lag and you can't really even click on anything. Or how many times (you mps and nts prolly know what I'm talking about ) goto like omni-1 trade and do implants. Heres usually what happends:

To Soandso: where you at?
    Soandso tells you: Over by the grid entrance point
    To Soandso: ok brt
    Soandso tells you: ok

*arrives at grid entrance point*
    *trade window opens implants put in, manage to double-accept though the lag in omni-1 trade near whompa is pitiful. Trade finishes*
    *combines clusters*
    *open trade window back up, begins to type...*
    *CHOP!, HARD LAG, WHAM! BAM!*
    *game lags so hard it doesn't recognize you hit enter, so every letter of every word is now hotkeys making you do stupid stuff, amoungst them is: strafing side to side, taking off running past the guy who's clusters you now have (meanwhile he's prolly wondering just wth your going with his brand new implants*
    *back-pedals to be back in front of person*
    *slowly pushes enter* *begins to double check that the grey bar has changed to a textbox*
    *types in what he wants to say*
    *puts the implants in, hits accept, trade done*

pretty annoying huh? If windows controled the periphrial input threads, the speed would be as good as what you saw earlier by moving the mouse back and forth acrossed the bar. The heavy intense lag in some areas would still be horible to deal with, but the brunt and hurt of it wouldn't be as bad as you can still converse and click on stuff. I could be wrong, but I think it would make great stride to making the game client more user friendly. Now this might bring up other issues to I'm not certain. Like extra memory requirements or other bizarre unforseen (until placed into motion) issues. But it's a thought (not mine) and a pretty good one I think *appluads the person who mentioned it*

On a side note: Lemme know if any of you feel this. Sometimes you feel like your in tunnel vision when playing. The reason why I say this, is the right menu bar that goes from top to bototm of screen.. Granted we "minimize" (sorta) the window, but in team missions you really don't want fuss around with stuff like that. as you need Map, Team (to ose nano and hps so even non-healers know what they're tanks are prolly thinking [run or fight]), and stats window. Well why not make them have a transparency feature and at the same time why not make them undockable? Just always seemed frustrating and when I first got into beta I felt very flustered by the cumbersome of it.. Took me a while to get used to it. Fortunately I was in beta and I had the advantage of having the time to get used to it before the game went release. Anyhow it would make sense. And would also do great strides to make the game's gui more user friendly to both veteran and new players I think. I don't know about ny of you, but I would love to create some of the windows (common ones but not always used) minimized lined up horizontally under my hotbar (default location). Fortunately I learned of /g and /o so when I get team invites it's not taking me ages to pop open the chat menu set autochat to team just so I can say hello

Sorry for the long post, just a couple of interesting ideas that I thought we should bring up and discuss. As when the one player mentioned about the input threads, I was pretty surprised the idea never really got the attention it deserved. and I figured in a gameplay forum, it's right up that tree (*wonders if that's correct on the saying*)

--------------------------------------------
    ;runs with mission leader a room ahead of those falling behind
    *BOOM* *insert whinney rollerrat noise here*

"heh I heard that! Gotta check for traps " -- Stakfallt

Stakfallt 112 nt proud member of the omni-scum corp.
    dentonjc 5 agent proud member of the omni-scum corp.
    drkarvorkian 5 doctor proud member of the omni-scum corp.
    hieivincent 6 ma proud member of the omni-scum corp.
    1 or 2 other alts. also proud members of the omni-scum corp.
    Last edited by StakFallT; Jul 24th, 2002 at 05:55:20.

to long man

can you make your point in 12 words or less?

A.D.D. is a bear

12 words or less

windows mouse is faster then anarchy online's mouse.

BOOYAH
    GIBBETY
    ODDNESS!!!!!!!!!!

(thus I have made my point and complete reobscured it in less then 12 words, bow to me!)

Sorry, reason I went on for so long, is in the past I've left words out of things I said jsut to avoid rambling. But that usually leads to confusion, and people making quotes of what I say and either making sarcastic comments or inquiries as to what I meant, I've made it a habbit now to try as best as I can to ellaborate fully on what I'm saying the first time around DAMN! still more than 12 words hehe

--------------------------------------------
    ;runs with mission leader a room ahead of those falling behind
    *BOOM* *insert whinney rollerrat noise here*

"heh I heard that! Gotta check for traps " -- Stakfallt

EDIT: This blank empty posting space was edited to create the post

Stakfallt 117 nt proud member of the omni-scum corp.
    dentonjc 5 agent proud member of the omni-scum corp.
    drkarvorkian 5 doctor proud member of the omni-scum corp.
    hieivincent 6 ma proud member of the omni-scum corp.
    1 or 2 other alts. also proud members of the omni-scum corp.

ROFL

LMFAO Robert

I am not worthy! /bow