Thread: The OOC channel is redundant.

The OOC channel is redundant.

Ok, 99% of the AO players are not Rpers. and the 1% that are don't even use the OOC channel.

So, rather than the OOC channel, make a RP channel ?

Oh and before some of you get aggitated at me for saying 99% of AO doesn;t roleplay, I'd like you to understand that certain activities that some people class as "rp" in this game are bunk to me:

1) Being male in RL but saying you are female in RL when someone asks your female character.. Isn't roleplay, it's lying.

2) /shout "go to this cyber-radio station and hear our guilds favorite crap music" isnt Rp, it's spamming.

3) Seeing a grey character and acting as though you could crush their skull by blinking isnt rp, its bullying.
    (unless you are rping an overconfident person in which case I should see you doing the same thing to lvl 200 people also).

4) Just because you say you are important (ie: you named your org mni-whatever, or you "run" a club, or you are *gasp* dust brigade...) Doesn't mean anything. If you feel that your character has to be feared, or important to the worlds existance to be a character.. You have societal issues and need a hug.

There's more, but I wont bother with them (these will be mis-read as is).

Im going to qualify my remarks here by noting to you that I havent mentioned any names, just a few of the common cliche`s that make me go "what RP in ao?" Some folks I know fit into these cliche`s and, as well as, and in addition to, are Rpers.. Some, few, 1%...

On a side note though, Has anyone else noticed that lesbianism on rubika is at an all time high? whats up with that?

Jabba.

PS: Bump for OOC chat to be made RP chat.
    Devil's Advocate is cooler than you.

"If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance."
    - George Bernard Shaw

Re: The OOC channel is redundant.

Just a few quick comments... I agree with you on several points, Jabbawocke but...

Originally posted by jabbawocke

1) Being male in RL but saying you are female in RL when someone asks your female character.. Isn't roleplay, it's lying.
    Asking someone if they are female in RL has nothing to do with RP either, so why even bother? RP supposedly works both ways, no?

On a side note though, Has anyone else noticed that lesbianism on rubika is at an all time high? whats up with that?

This may have to do with the fact that the ratio of good vs moronic men on Rubi-Ka is about the same as RP'ers vs non-RP'ers in AO.
    Dominata
    Member of THM

Well... in a word... "no". I like the OOC channel. Don't read it if it bothers you so much.

As for people having the wrong ideas on RP'ing... I think that's a pretty personal thing. I generally behave as I would in RL. I'm not shouting about stats and patches, but I'm not deeply involved in any storyline, either.

That's actually part of what I like about AO. It's RP community is easily accessible, because it's pretty difficult to be blatantly "out of character". It's the future, after all- so slang words and boorish behavior could just be realism- who can say?

And who cares if someone lies about their sex...? I've never asked anyone in-game what their RL sex is- I don't care. Aren't you breaking out of character in asking a question like that? I'm no big roleplay guy, so I'm no authority- but it seems that way to me.

So... it seems to me that the only reason anyone would ask that is if they're either looking for some sort of online love or trying to pick up a RL girlfriend... umm... and I'd say that's not exactly "roleplaying" anyway.
    Last edited by Blue Cat; Jul 21st, 2002 at 07:49:50.

Ok, 99% of the AO players are not Rpers

- Disagree. 60% of the people I meet like to RP and the other 40% like to power lvl or laugh and grief Rpers

So, rather than the OOC channel, make a RP channel

- Agree. You can be OOC anywhere you want. Why not a channel for RP only.

- Could care less..ever since table top RP you have had the option to play male or female characters, so if you are someone who wants to role play and have chosen to play a female character, you should role play female. However OOC acting female when you are not..that would be lying

2) /shout "go to this cyber-radio station and hear our guilds favorite crap music" isnt Rp, it's spamming.

- somewhat agree, somewhat disagree. If the character they portray is a dj then aside from whatever storyline they do the rest of the time, they would be expected to work and advertise. I large number of people enjoy this aspect, and there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to

-ROLE PLAY=ASSUMING A ROLE TO PLAY WITHIN THE BOUNDS OF THE SETTING (IE-Rubi-ka, omni or clan or neutral..the time line of events..yada yada yada)

3) Seeing a grey character and acting as though you could crush their skull by blinking isnt rp, its bullying.
    (unless you are rping an overconfident person in which case I should see you doing the same thing to lvl 200 people also).

- Agree 100% (however to be fair, that lvl 200 is most likely going to kill your grey ass (if above 75) next time they see you, because of your role play....although, I think I would enjoy watching that from someone who is mouthy about telling folks they would "crush their skull")

4) Just because you say you are important (ie: you named your org mni-whatever, or you "run" a club, or you are *gasp* dust brigade...) Doesn't mean anything. If you feel that your character has to be feared, or important to the worlds existance to be a character.. You have societal issues and need a hug.

-Depends...is the character a terrorist? Is it someone who has no regard for human life? The in theory that kind of person WOULD be feared. If that is the role they are playing, then so be it. However, because you have a guild name (ie omni-pol, Omni-AF) does not mean you ARE those people..you can role play it all you want, but other Rpers have the right to not accept you in those roles. To think that you are the be all end all of these groups is arrogant (although to give credit where credit is due, some (like Red Tape/Omni Admin) are aware of that, and do a very good job of not being arrogant about it)

-ROLE PLAY = BE WHO YOU WANT TO BE WITHIN THE SETTINGS YOU ARE GIVEN!!!

Im going to qualify my remarks here by noting to you that I havent mentioned any names, just a few of the common cliche`s that make me go "what RP in ao?" Some folks I know fit into these cliche`s and, as well as, and in addition to, are Rpers.. Some, few, 1%...

-I'm not sure if being the head of a guild has opened a door not seen by other players, or if maybe because I RP I seem to be able to find it more often, but the amount of players who honestly RP is much higher than you are guessing...Maybe the only way to know for sure is to become involved in the RP, to get to know the characters. If you havn't done that with more than one specific type of group, then you are not in a position to make a educated judgement regarding that

-Also it seems by your post you are refering almost totally to the groups in Reets or Baboons and Rhompas, and those people are not the be all, end all of RP. I personally have issues with some of these folks (simulating sexual activities for cash? please...how desperate do we have to be?) but the majority of them (Vixen is a good example) are just entertainers, and run a different kind of RP. When I go to Rhompas for example, and a "waitress" comes to see if I need anything, it certainly helps the mood of the RP. If you in RL went into a bar, and someone didn't come up and offer you a drink? you'd be pretty pissed. If you go into a club, and there are people dancing and a "dj" there, you don't expect them to advertise thier services? I can always tell in Real Life when ladies night is, cause a dj will yell it over the Mic many many many times.

-This kind of RP bothers you, then find another group to RP with....get to know what stories are going on, outside of the bars, because there are plenty. yes this is just a game, yes we go to escape reality, but it is RPG, and people DO RP some things that you will find in real life...is there anything wrong with that? No...does it fit into the RP world? yes..why not? If you have created a character, imagined a background...can hold a conversation In Character for more than 30 mins about who you are, or where you are from and such, then by all the bounds of what role play is, you are doing just fine.

-game imitates life? have you noticed that lesbianism on earth is at a all time "out of the closet" high, and media exploits them the same way as players do in the game?

-Lesbians on Rubi-ka..concidering our openess to it in this day and age, it would make sense there would be even more in the future...and to quote seinfeld "not that there's anything wrong with that"

I shall bump for a RP channel, but I do believe some people do like a OOC general channel as well...I do not feel I know what's best..i can not speak for everyone. If some want a RP channel and some want OOc then in my opinion there should be both
    Last edited by Lilyflie; Jul 21st, 2002 at 08:55:19.
    AO is not just about pvp, or Rp or power lvling. It is about whatever the players choose to bring to it. Don't make it personal against one of these groups because you feel nerfed by the game company.

Atlantian: "Jesska Rhees" - lvl 153 Crat - retired
    Rimor: Krazee "Lilyflie" Madness - lvl 103 ENF - semi around again

hum hum, jabbawocke guess you picked a bad example with this sex-question, but I think I got your idea anyway....

IMO less than 1% really DO roleplaying atm (in a somewhat constant degree ... Toehead did i.e., but that´s another story) and far more than 1% WANT to do some/more roleplaying.

To answer you thread: yes, I like the idea of a pure RP channel, could probably even encourage more RP ... if the OOC channel is used (not on RK2, I am sure), this might need a new, but anyway.

bump for RP channel.

I thought about changing the guild channel to RP ... but in fact most members use it OOC, so this no real option.