Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - November 27th, 2009 - Uphill in 6 feet of snow

Imo optional transfer is a good thing. I've seen some german folks coming to RK1 on new toons already and I see this as an incredible opportunity for us all to adress some issues related to low population.

So, to all those that came or will come to RK1 : Welcome bros !
    That's the ~Spirit~ !

RK3 Players

For those who wanted to remain on RK 3, and have it rebuilt I know where your comming from. I played Everquest from 00'-06'. In 2005, they decided to wipe out 50% of the servers (there were something like 20+ servers that got merged), and combine them. I was from Torvonilus, and we got merged with Fennin Ro, and some Asian server also got merged with us (don't know the name of thier server).

Alot of people were upset / angry, and generally just unhappy with the decision SOE made. You grow attached to your server / community that resides there. We had low population problems, getting groups were hard to come by. We understood that, but we still diddn't want to get merged. We thought the people from the other server, wasn't as good, nice, cool, ect...

We diddn't know what to expect, other than we diddn't want it to happen. Well the day finally came, we got merged. For the first few weeks, one side shunned the other side. A few were welcoming each other with open arms, some stuck to those they knew, and diddn't want to group with the other side.

Over time, I would say after the first 2-3 months everyone was happy. Everyone saw how much of an improvement it was, in finding a group, and getting things done (goals, quests, raiding) ect... had become. Soon it was just a distant memory, and we were having good times again.

All I can say is this. Don't worry too much about this change, keep an open mind. You might resent the change right now, that will change. I for one, look forward to seeing you here whether it be on RK 1, or 2. Will be nice to see an influx of more people to do things with. The people I have met so far from Project Transfer have been a really nice group.

In the end, I think this is the best thing considering the condition DNW was in. Also, who is to say down the line more servers wont be added later, if the game picks up steam. It happens all the time in game, servers get merged, and later on, more get added. Since I left EQ, they have added around 3-4 more new servers. So don't say it can never happen. Goodluck to all of you, and I look forward to seeing you soon having fun on RK1.

Quote Originally Posted by Talita View Post
    As far as I know it's in Adonis, not sure where though as I have not gone to find it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustinel View Post
    Location coordinates: 1690 x 542, The Suburbs, Adonis.

Near Scott Free from Syndicate brain quest
    Thanks.
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

I feel that it's some kind of "Beef" between rk1 and rk2..

Just come to rk2 cus wer're the best and we have the most fun.
    Valhall Guardians

Thapetowner 220 Meta-Physicist
    Hyimoliver 220 Soldier
    Ihatemyself 200 Shade
    Hardcore 200 Adventurer
    Ilovetokill 170 Agent
    Ilovetodrain 150 Trader
    Oxiahe 150 Doctor
    Critterz 150 Martial-Artist
    Awaaa 74 Soldier

its great omni will be back on rk1
    bin mal wieder da und Schreibfehler dürft ihr immer noch behalten

Quote Originally Posted by Oliveerz View Post

Not a "beef" tbh RK2 insisted on evade soldier carebears, the notion is absurd by itself, and we on RK1 found it hilarious.

We've been laughing at RK2 ever since
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    Not a "beef" tbh RK2 insisted on evade soldier carebears, the notion is absurd by itself, and we on RK1 found it hilarious.

We've been laughing at RK2 ever since
    Pfff, you just suck at creativity. I even went a few steps further, I made an evade, conceal soldier, far from cookie cutter nonsense that RK1 insists on.
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Klodders View Post
    Pfff, you just suck at creativity. I even went a few steps further, I made an evade, conceal soldier, far from cookie cutter nonsense that RK1 insists on.
    The concealment soldier is actually quite effective, I know because I had a trox one.
    It had instant and persisting gratification, evade soldiers only claim to fame was having carebear heads pasted on screen shots of them, and then circulated on LoA
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    The concealment soldier is actually quite effective, I know because I had a trox one.
    It had instant and persisting gratification, evade soldiers only claim to fame was having carebear heads pasted on screen shots of them, and then circulated on LoA
    But they're so cuuuuuute
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Huminus View Post
    Sorry, that is pure propaganda! We have 5 pages in the german forum full of cheers... by 10 different players. Seems like every one else in the greman forum has given up. *sighn* And I do understand that too good. It remains a fact that less than 1/3 did not whant to leave. All resorces for the char transfer are for 20% of the smallest server; thats probably 2% of all players. I think that resources would be better used for the grafik engine and/or game balancing.
    Server transfer mechanics are pretty much already in place, though a bit buggy, but it's possible to transfer from any of the live Dimensions to Testlive already, should take much effort to let people transfer from RK3 to Other Dims as well.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    The rest of the team has been hard at work on the Daily Missions, working through the profession nanos (there are a LOT of them), Breed Change and associated difficulties, this year's Christmas goodies and of course...the new engine. It sounds like a lot...I guess because it is. We are hoping to bring the new Christmas content to the Test Dimension on Tuesday to get it to Live as soon as possible...after which the Daily Mission system will quickly be deployed to TestLive to be tested until we are all happy that it will launch as smoothly as the new mail system has.
    Here's to hoping that the Christmas goodies will be more like in 2006, when there were fun quests (for non-"shirt-of-the-year" items like the Holiday Hologram Burst) & not just going out & killing a bunch of santaleets until we get everything.
    Last edited by tazalanche; Nov 28th, 2009 at 21:09:51.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Quote Originally Posted by Oliveerz View Post

Since Rimor was born there has been hostility between RK1 and RK2 lol.
    I've played on both dimensions and honestly they arent much different, hangouts may change
    a bit between them but theres still a-holes everywhere and know-it-alls and crybabies.
    I've been playing since 2001 and few and far between have i ever met anyone in game i just can't stand. And if someone harrasses me because im German i stomp their head with my doc martin boots. :P I kinda like that fact that we're going to have an influx of German players.
    Clan peeps from RK3 are welcome on Rimor....wink wink Tiger Claw has Weinerschnitzel parties at the pool.

If I was on dnw, I would love that news.

Now, this could be a nice move aimed towards the big goal... putting all servers together.

In order to be efficient, fc should move as less people as less possible... which means dnw should come to rk2 . It is the efficient way .
    There are no problem that an absence of solution could'nt solve

Wielder of the "IWin" button.

I've been thinking about it, and I changed my mind slightly.

What I feel should happen is not RK3 being offered to move to RK1 or RK2, but instead moved to RK0, or RK Prime or what ever you want to call it. This server would be a completely new server, possibly using the OLD server equipment for a short time before moving over into the new server location.

RK Prime would be the primary default server and everyone from RK1 2 and 3 would be able to transfer over to it and reform alliances and such. The server would get new social channels for each language like it currently has for English and Japaneses. The primary goal would be to move everyone from RK1 2 and 3 over to RK Prime within 6 months then shut down the other servers. Because EVERYONE is being transplanted onto a new server there would be no entitlement from a long time population. As such it would not be "Rk1 and 3 moved to RK2" so people would not have the sense of "This is my home and you are a guest".

The are obvious population problems to deal with but they can all be overcome, same as name, city, towers. I do not feel there should be any thing to segregate current players to show what server they came from, how ever I am not sure how to do a merge with the names being a problem and no segregation between people with the same nick name.

(Possible idea to make the transition easier, I'm not feeling 100% for the idea so I stopped typing any more of it, feel free to comment though)

RK Prime would be the new home default server and would have some basic changes. The "Static City" plots would be removed from the game world and in their place would be market buildings. Since AO's code can't handle the markets being in an instance zone. Each current city plot would have 4 markets, making a total of 12 to 16 markets per plot group. These markets would be rented like the current city is at some amount of $ per month. When a player does a market search they would get a device like the Fixer Grid beacon that would let them enter the "Market Grid" and exit at the plot number.

You know I'm kinda worried about server merge, if AO repopulates can the servers handle 10,000 people in 1 zone?
    Last edited by Technogen; Nov 28th, 2009 at 23:42:28.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

RK1 has the largest population of Euro players. Not to mention the rk3 people who have already come to RK1 under guild PT. Come join us.

Quote Originally Posted by tazalanche View Post
    Here's to hoping that the Christmas goodies will be more like in 2006, when there were fun quests (for non-"shirt-of-the-year" items like the Holiday Hologram Burst) & not just going out & killing a bunch of santaleets until we get everything.
    Isn't the current year 29483, meaning that it was in 2005 what you are talking about (29479)?

A great, great year though, I agree on that.
    Not only a thing you got, but a tour of Rubi-Ka
    You can read the transcript of the tour here.
    As I am aware, that is the first official post with the name of the "thingies" in Clon****; the Notum Cannons

The patch was 16.3.1 you can see all the wonderful items Here
    The Hanging Mistletoe.. an item only given out by ARKs during the season..

The tour NPC was stationed in Borealis, and people of low lvl were given the item.
    The tour was indeed dangerous, and I was killed some times. But fun and informative.

Another event I liked was in 2007, with the "Dreadlock anniversary", you can read about it Here.

Items that fit the AO universe, and shows dedication from the devs
    Just like "The Grind", let the devs have fun making things, and you get christmas/birthday items/events like this

The ARK-tour manager has held competitions of "bring me to interesting places" during the last years, I think she has input on nice places you could "drag" people to, for a new christmas-tour of Rubi-Ka (and shadowlands?)

Kind Regards
    -Ariensky
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by battlegnom View Post
    battlegnom
    with profund apologies for his english.
    English is not my first language and what I have observed is that constant apologizing for bad English (especially when it really isn't bad) makes certain people pick on you. If you throw in there your nationality (and it doesn't matter what it is) then they really go after you. If you try again on RK1 or RK2 without worrying about your English and keep your nationality to yourself (or select few) you will probably have a totally different experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowena View Post
    English is not my first language and what I have observed is that constant apologizing for bad English (especially when it really isn't bad) makes certain people pick on you.
    The ironic part is that the people picking on those who speak bad English probably only know English. It is said that you shouldn't pick on people who have bad English because it means that they can speak another language.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

too bad i already transferred....to kargath @WoW^^
    220 Agent + :: 220 Doctor + :: 220 Soldier + :: 220 Enforcer + :: 220 Bureaucrat + :: 217 Adventurer + :: 217 Trader + :: 159 Engineer :: 112 Fixer

Inferno Travelguides

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast