Thread: RSIP, an idea for a permanent respec

Exclamation RSIP, an idea for a permanent respec

Greetings,

I don't know if anyone has thought of this before but I've got an idea.

While we are all happy to have the ability to respec points, the limited number can be frustrating for those of us that "experiment." (or for those new players that don't know better). A more permanent way to get points back would be nice.

So, simple idea: Negetive experience. There are several ways to implement this but the basic idea is that you undergo missions which give you RSIP (ReSpec IP) rather then XP. You won't grow as a character but you will be able to use these RSIP just like IP; except instead of increasing a skill, you would decrease a skill with the RSIP you gained (which returns IP to the regular IP pool).

This solution should work for all types of characters. You will have to work to be able to change skills but at least you'll be able to do it. That's pretty much it... flame away pointing out all the little problems

They're orignal plan was good to allow experiments.

But, they founded it a small bug, and avoided the whole thing and changed it to 1 skill reset..

hehe.. I'm new so I didn't even know they had an original idea.

So then let me say:

1 time repspecs = bad
    ability to change skills = good

I should be able to earn back every IP I've ever spent so I can spend it on other skills. It should take time/work/(money?) to do it but it should at least be possible.

BUMP for a better respec

They already do have that with the reset point (RP) system. When you reach a new title level you get more RP that can reset one skill. There also might be the possibility of a static mission which would allow you to get more RPs.

The problem with the Respec now is that I can run out of them. If I respec a line and then spend the points else where, what happens if the new point allocation doesn't work? I'd have to use another RS point. Or what if I need points back from more then a few spec lines? Bottom line is I only have so many chances to get points back.

Now if there are static missions that give RS points as rewards, that'd work.

A better solution, imho, is a system that would allow you to get IP back from a line without having to wipe the whole thing. More over, the system I described would allow you to take some points from one spec line and some from a different line without having to wipe the whole line.

But using the system currently in place, adding RS points as a mission reward to certain mission would work (as long as you could do as many as you needed).

Bottom line is, I should be able to do nothing but experiment with IPs at any level. IE, I should be able to spend them all and have the ability to get them all back somehow (not at the click of the button mind you; some type of work has to be done).

character creation

it's called MAKE A NEW Character.

I don't know how many people I have met that feel they have to delete their old character and make a new one.

you can have 8 characters on Each server.

Try things out, ask higher ups, go to the professional forums.

If you can't figure it out, you probably aren't working very hard at trying to figure it out.

I am tired of this game catering to LAZY people.

Anyone that has done any research on their character doesn't need more than 3 skills reset by level 50.
    If you are Failing to Plan,

You are Planning to Fail.

Well, I thought of an even better idea.

HAVE FUNCOM MAKE A BETTER MANUAL!!!

Also allowing people to change their skills a lot would be a really bad idea. It would make profession specialization diminish further. Take for example implant making. We all know that certain classes have crappy NP, like the Adventurers. Now say said group of people need some implants done. They can either pay and NT or MP to do them, or they could just reset a few skills, dump a lot of IPs into NP, make the imps, reclaim the NP IPs, then put them back, making the person back to the way they were. It would rob away from all the hard work we have put into our characters. It would make people feel less special and less needed and only hurt the game in the long run.
    Last edited by MooKids; Jun 25th, 2002 at 02:58:35.

NanoKiss,

Yeah, god forbid anyone actually try something for themselves or *gasp* actually try something new. [/sarcasm]

As I've said many times, this isnt' a punch a button and get skills back idea. In the system I described you would have to do a whole lot of work to get the points back.

Making a new character doesn't work. I'm at lvl 75 (just an example) and I've put some more points into skill X. But I decide maybe they should have gone into skill Y so I want to try them there. You can't really do this with a limited number of respecs.

"I am tired of this game catering to LAZY people"

This idea does no such thing.

"Anyone that has done any research on their character doesn't need more than 3 skills reset by level 50."

If you don't mind doing what everyone else has already done then this is probably true. Some of us however have a little creativity and would like the ability to experiment at higher levels safely.

i've always been a fan of increasing skills with their use.

swing/shoot your weapon more and you get better with it. cast more nanos and you get better with practice.

use your pet more and you get a better relationship with it and you can get better and better versions of it. would be great if pet ai got better with your skill.

--

a training/experimenting grounds would be a great way to solve the problems posted so far.

you can go and train and 'pretend' to have certain skills and weapons and enemies. you see what happens but you still need to do the normal things to get there.

Mookids,

"or they could just reset a few skills, dump a lot of IPs into NP, make the imps, reclaim the NP IPs, then put them back, making the person back to the way they were"

Not if you have to work to get those points back. If you have to do mission after mission after mission .... to get those points, you may consider finding someone else to help make the implants.

Would you spend 12 hr /played time just to make some implants? (12hr just a number out of blue but you get the idea)

Getting IP back shouldn't be easy to discourage "jumping" skills. It should take a lot of work. But if someone is really serious about wanting to move IPs around, the option should be avaliable and still plausible.

ok.

i got my fixer to lvl 85 before i realised what fixers job's were, that's when i was hooked up with a bunch of fixers who helped me figure out what the best plan of action is to be..
    now of course i could have made a fixer that did shotgun dammage, but when i get a nano at start up that is for burst and smg, why would i put points into shotgun?

some of the other things i spent ip foolishly on i regretted, but you know what? i lived with it, and i still got to lvl 85
    not easy to do when your class was nerfed to begin with and you suck with your ip spending as well.
    But hey.. i had MADE A CHARACTER, and untill i found a plausible reason for my character to leave rubi-ka i was gonna play her, now i must admit the full ipr helped me greatly, but i could have lived with out getting back the foolishly spent ip...
    i did it for 85 lvls so what's another 115? right? like i even CARE about PLing my way to 200, i'm having fun! so what if i'm not the uberist fixer out there.. i've got something they don't...
    Personality.
    People like to team with me because i'm fun, and when i'm not aving fun i stop playing... i switch over to EQ and if i don't ave fun there i watch a movie.
    So.. you take risks when you build a character, but you can always put the messed up ip into your character background.
    i mean, my fixer had a ton of points in pharma tech... so for awhile, she was assisting a researcher in some medical programs before she left omni-tek to jion the clans... yada yada yada.. make it distinctly YOU!
    GO with the mess ups... live with it, and if you can't? make another char.
    that plain and simple people.

Bayala