Three weeks ago I booted my computer and found an error message telling me that there was something wrong with my computer and that a backup file was being loaded.
After continuing I found my 3d card had all its settings undone and a lot of my programs weren't there. So i redid all the 3d stuff and it seemed fine. Then I tried connecting to the internet and found that I can connect almost everytime but upon doing so I quit recieving information from the server. I know i connect because it occasionally asks me for the correct password when I mistype it, so I know im getting information from the server up to the point of connecting. But at that point it just quits. I talked to my ISPs tech team, they were useless and told me to just go buy a new modem after having me re-install my communications package 4 times and check my network settings 5 times. Well a week later, new modem, $40 farther from retirement and no dice, still won't recieve information.

Why? anyone have any insight into what I should do?(besides dropping computer out 3rd floor and/or dousing in gasoline and setting ablaze)