Thread: Yes, I'd like a number 1 combo, please hold the camping.

Yes, I'd like a number 1 combo, please hold the camping. (revised)

What would make us all happy is give us all level 200 chars and all the rare, special, unique and no drop items we could possibly ask for. Well, maybe. I'm sure some of us would love to have the end result now, but some of use want to work for it. Some of us, like myself, want a chance at Tarasque (or any other static dungeon and unique mobs). But, how can I have a shot at Tarasque if he's not there, or some squad of 170s+ are there to take him down?

You could increase the spawn rate and decrease the number of times the item(s) drops (to keep the item rare/special). By increasing the number of times he spawns you allow more people the chance to kill and loot. Hmm. But that doesn't necessarily reduce camping. You will still have that 170+ squad there as long as it takes, hoping to each take turns looting the rare item. So, let's reverse that.

Decrease spawn rate and increase the number of times the special item(s) drop (again, to keep the item rare/special). Well, that still doesn't work. Now I have to sit there twiddling my thumbs waiting for spawn. Boring! Oh no! There comes that 170+ squad again. Spawn time must be close and they know it. Now as soon as the boss spawns we'll have to duke it out. So yes, the 170+ squad wins again. Now I'm frustrated.

So, by looking at these scenarios we've changed the spawn rates and the randomness the item drops. What have we learned? If we want to keep the item rare, valuable or special (whichever way you want to look at it) this will promote camping. The uber guilds have all the fun in getting these items, and us lowbies will have to shell out big cash to get them. Because let's face it, and we all know this, us lowbies can't beat the ubies.

If you want to keep the item rare, so be it. The uber guilds do have something special then. Us lowbies can pretend the items don't exist, as we'll never have them. You'll only make that part of the game fun for them, and not for us.

So how keep everyone happy? Sure, you could decrease the specialness of the item, make it easy for everyone to get. Again-NO! Some of us want to work for it. We don't want everything handed to us; as I've already stated.

Keep the item rare, but give everyone as many shots as they want to go after the boss and his/her loot. When I wanted more NCU I bought them. When I out grew the shops NCUs I started running missions for the ql 125+ NCUs. Ql 125+ NCU is uncommon, but everyone can run missions for them.

Why can't static dungeons and unique bosses run like missions? A person can obtain a key to run that dung, and give copies to whomever they want to help. This way everyone has an equal chance. It's fun for all of us now, because we all have a shot. NO CAMPING! And to maintain the rareness of the item-reduce the number of times it drops.

Right now, Tarasque may be looted once every X number of hours (whatever spawn rate is). With a key dispensing system you could potentially have him looted hundreds of times every few mins/hours (whatever it may be). So reduce the number of item drops to maintain rareness/specialness.

Now, I know some oppose the key system (as I've read a few of the posts, not all). To address those people.

Wolfe said, "the current unique mobs and dungeons work pretty well." Well yes, they work pretty well for you and your guild, but what about the rest of us? As I've already said we all know us lowbies will lose to the ubies every time. So of course they work pretty well for you. We pay our monthly fee just like you, why should we be given any less chance?

Nikkidial said, "please don't do dungeon keys... While I do admit camping needs to be taken out of the end game I don't think it needs to be taken away from the beginning." Again, why should we be given any less chance? Why should we be punished because we are not an uber guild? Both of our guilds can enter with dungeon keys and your guild will take down the boss and have started on your 2nd mission before we're done our first. You will get your 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on before us every time, because you're ubies, we're lowbies. We can admit this. You have us beat. Stop rubbing our faces in it, and at least level the playing field.

Remember, this is a game for everyone. Make it fun for everyone.

Cemetarygate

I can see much clearer with open eyes. It's not so much the light that hurts, but the idiocy of everything around me. -Brad Divens

(the following was added to anyone who suggests randomizing mobs instead of dungeon keys)

I think the purpose of having a static dung or mob in one location was or is to give everyone a change to take part. If everyone knows Tarasque hangs out in Camelot Castle then everyone knows where to kill and loot him. You could start randomizing the location, but would that cater to everyone?

No.

An individual would now spend countless hours jumping from zone to zone searching for the mob. Given the hundreds/thousands (however many there are) zones, an individual may not once see the mob within the life of the game.

Plus, once again, you're not giving everyone a chance. Now we're not so much focused on that 170+ squad, but shear volume of a guild. A guild with 200+ members can assign each member 2, 3, 4 (or however many) zones to search. That large guild would most certainly find the mob before an individual. Now, in my jumping between 2-4 zones, I find the mob. I simply call in my massive guild to help me take down the mob.

What randomization does is level the playfield from level standpoint, but gives more power to larger guilds. Again, the point of having a mob in one location is so everyone has a chance to kill and loot. Which, right now, uber guilds use to their advantage. A randomization will allow larger guilds advantage. Neither the current method nor randomization will level the playfield.

Once again, the current method, I believe was intended, to give everyone a try. The only true way to give everyone a try is if the mobs is there every single time, hence dungeon keys.

Don't cater to uber guilds. Don't cater to large guilds. Cater to everyone.
    Last edited by Cemetarygate; Jun 6th, 2002 at 22:34:46.

High level content/equipment in online games will always be catering to guilds. Whomever can get there the fastest with the mostest.

If everyone had a chance at the same level of loot, the biggest issue would be by guilds wanting loot/mobs/objectives that can't be obtained/killed/made by Joe Schmoe and the Solo Posse. What would be the point of a guild besides an organized chat channel?

Unfortunately, soloists or dedicated small groups will be relegated to the lower-upper portion of the spectrum. Or lower... but I think upper-end equipment in AO is available for purchase. Of course, I don't know for sure because I abhor guild mechanics and especially guild politics.

I think that ultimately is the price paid for going lone wolf.

I am not saying guilds are bad, or the root of all evil. Well, maybe a little evil.

Everyone hates camping. What makes people camp? A special or unique item at that location. Well, if you can't change the spawn rate and you can't chande the item drop, why not move the item? If you grab a group of 5 or 6 types of rare, strong MOB types that wander the planet and random the unique drop amound them. Then you never know where it will be or who will have a chance to find it. Even if you de find one, you still have to be tough to get it so it is a challange. We have all seen the named monsters running around, remember that grey leet with a name that keeps thinking he can attack you? Well, that is the type of thing you need for unique drops but a strong version of him that has randome spawn locations. People camp because the item is only found in one location so, move the location around. Then, we can all still enjoy the static dungeons with out it being always cleaned out and camped. Also, we all have a equal chance of finding uniques if we have the firepower to get it when we find that guy.

Just my 2 pennies worth

The point of a guild is supposed to be friendship and having a community of people to share your hours in the game with. Unfortunately, in AO the shared mission statement of the most 'popular' (wonder why) guilds is to get the phat lewtz.

There's no respect for these guilds. There may be envy. There may be hatred. But very little respect. All it takes is numbers and levels. Most highest levels wins.

There should most definately be something in the game for these people to do. Every playstyle should have something that suits them and rewards them. However, it doesn't necessarily have to be to the detriment of the remaining 98% of the playerbase.

You don't have to piss off a million people to keep a hundred happy.

Simple example:

If there was a mansion on a hill and the owner just before he died threw the keys to the front door up in the air, would I be pissed if Storm beat the Council and took ownership of the mansion as their guild house for six months until it was up for grabs again? No. The reward suited their playstyle and their strengths helped them to get something that enhanced their enjoyment of the game.

Would I be pissed that my little gang of meager 120-150's probably would never have a chance at setting up shop in 'the big house'? No.

Does the fact that they have a cool pad complete with their own disco and shops unbalance the game in their favor making the balance of power even worse in their favor? NO. In fact I would hope that they'd someday make peace with me and invite me to a party at their place.

Mass-group playstyle played well should reward the mass-group in a way that doesn't punish the remainder of the game through lack of opportunities or relative reduction in power of characters.

There's the problem in a nutshell. The rewards for the pack mentality go to the individuals in those groups and not directly the groups themselves. In turn, the reward benefits unbalance the game in favor of the players who join these mass-groups and in turn make the mass groups more attractive. The attractiveness of the group leads to larger group size, leads to faster leveling of members, leads to people leaving other 'less-powerful' orgs, leads to loss of diversity.

The reward system is out of whack right now. You don't get the right reward for your playstyle and all the rewards go to one particular playstyle. In order to improve your character you don't have to perform heroic acts. In many instances you have to sell your soul.

Every player deserves the right to have fun. The solo player is shut out of fun right now. The small guild player is shut out of fun right now. The casual player is shut out of fun right now. Not only fun, but the almighty (cue angelic trumpets) 'item' as well.
    Last edited by Bionitrous; Jun 6th, 2002 at 19:47:56.

ah

good idea....let special mobs spawn anywhere randomly all over rubi-ka , i think This would definitely stop camping......cause i'm sure those special mobs gets bored staying in the same places :P... ..so guilds , or loners..would actually have to search for them..or maybe even get lucky finding the boss in some dungeon..that just happened to spawn randomly...... and i dont exactly mean anywhere in rubi ka..like spawning in the apartment backyard or in the newbie areas....heh... and make the spawn time random too?....and not at a fixed rate...?....anyways..this could mean harder to kill these special bosses...so time vs reward or something...make the rewards even better i suppose....but i dont think this would stop a guild from wiping out an entire dungeon...

It wouldnt stop them from wipeing out a dungeon but they would have no reason to any more.