Thread: Linux

Exclamation Linux

I know a lot of linux freaks that are very interressted in roleplaying games, but will never install windows on their pc's.

so is my question why doesnt exist a linux client of AO ?

this would push the number of AO users to unbelievable regions.
    Free Souls
    --------------------------
    Rubi-Ka for the neutrals! And xp for tradeskills!
    Rimor Roleplay Channel (/tell Nrpb !join)
    -------------------------
    OUT OF BUSINESS!
    Mummu's Sound Bag v1.19; A custom Voice Pack for Notum Wars now working with 15.7 html chat system!

Re: Linux

Originally posted by Mummu
    I know a lot of linux freaks that are very interressted in roleplaying games, but will never install windows on their pc's.

so is my question why doesnt exist a linux client of AO ?

this would push the number of AO users to unbelievable regions.
    This is the same for AO as for most other games. The people who make games don't see the potential value of making a linux version - heck, the guys who make the decisions have probably only heard of linux as something vague - "It's got something to do with Unix, which used to run on servers in the 80's". This trend is turning, but it's turning very very slowly. There will still be a few years before we'll see most games released for Windows as well as Linux.

On the technical side regarding AO, it has to do with AO using Direct 3D so a port would need to utilize OpenGL instead (You'll never get Microsoft to make Direct 3D support for Linux). I'm not a programmer so I have no idea how much work it would be to actually do this.

When Winex (http://www.transgaming.com/) supports DirectX 8.1 we might be able to run AO on Linux, but so far that isn't possible.
    Archelan, Ancarim Iron Legion

Vandreren (Adventurer) - Arctech (Engineer) - Egori (Fixer) - Sherringham (Bureaucrat) - Kurtwood (Trader)

Re: Re: Linux

Originally posted by Archelan

On the technical side regarding AO, it has to do with AO using Direct 3D so a port would need to utilize OpenGL instead (You'll never get Microsoft to make Direct 3D support for Linux). I'm not a programmer so I have no idea how much work it would be to actually do this.

When Winex (http://www.transgaming.com/) supports DirectX 8.1 we might be able to run AO on Linux, but so far that isn't possible.
    Well I'm 3d programmer. It would be easier to write OpenGL client then make any DX Linux port working with real application. And there is no sence to do it. Porting client to Linux require to rewrite client anyway. And no way any complex DX application will work with Winex.

Re: Re: Re: Linux

Originally posted by bunderscratch
    And no way any complex DX application will work with Winex.
    Define "complex". After all, many games work with the current version of Winex (Max Payne for instance). I won't be surprised if AO also works with it when Winex eventually gets DirectX 8.1 support.

But the best thing would still be having a native Linux client, but I doubt that'll happen. Funcom probably wants to fix the Windows version first anyway, and seeing as the game's been out for a year and still is the way it is, maybe we'll be able to enjoy the last week of the planned 4-year storyline from a native Linux client
    Archelan, Ancarim Iron Legion

Vandreren (Adventurer) - Arctech (Engineer) - Egori (Fixer) - Sherringham (Bureaucrat) - Kurtwood (Trader)

Lets hope Funcom never waste the development effort and money required to produce and support a tiny minority version. Get real.

Hey, if there were a Linux port I'd be playing AO in Linux. But look at the current state of AO. Bugs need fixing, patches need finishing, bugs need fixing, professions in need of love...

I'd much rather have the above taken care of than a Linux port. But yes to anybudy at FunCom reading this: If there were a Linux client, I would have started playing AO as soon as the Linux client was available, and you would have had my money in your pockets that much sooner.