Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OpenGL support

Originally posted by DoctorEarl
    i run it on an amiga.
    Amiga RULEZ !!!

I've switched from my good old amiga to a (bleh) windows pc only ten month ago... And if I use windows, it's only because AO doesn't run under freebsd (or even linux) ;)

Originally posted by BleuSwimsuit
    OpenGL on counter-strike and EQ makes things look smooth ^^ (blablablablabla i dont like the new 1.4 stuff :p)

what is this argument looking for? graphics or FPS? Anarchy Online on the Quake3 Engine would look awsome.
    Quake 3 doesn't have to display near as many characters at once as AO. Quake 3 doesn't have to do streamed loading of graphics. Quake 3 doesn't have to displays levels as large as AO's outdoors areas.
    And Quake3 doesn't have any form of terrain rendering as far as I know...

So, of course quake3 is faster ;)

AO isn't a FPS, so you can't compare it with a fps...

Cool

doh!

i didnt mean FPS - first person shooter, i meant FPS - frames per second >_<, high FPS in AO = no comp lag. the choppiness of the graphics is the comp/ low FPS, when you see everyone spinning in endless circles thats connection lag

I give a thumbs up for openGL if it makes FPS faster, but the game performance is getting better

OpenGL works better and faster than D3D, make a test :
    Set Half-life (CS too ) in openGL and play ... now set it in D3D(of course same resolution and settings) . It will look worse and slow ...
    D3D (microsoft) SUX
    Only reason companys are using D3D is because is more easy work with it than OpenGL

Originally posted by Carnaza
    OpenGL works better and faster than D3D, make a test :
    Set Half-life (CS too ) in openGL and play ... now set it in D3D(of course same resolution and settings) . It will look worse and slow ...
    D3D (microsoft) SUX
    Only reason companys are using D3D is because is more easy work with it than OpenGL
    Half-Life was an OpenGL game, originally supported even Glide.

DirectX support was just a add-in ie. it wasn't made for it, so it won't well..

Look at a game like Giants, it was made exclusively for DirectX and it works wonderfully, and fast.

And OpenGL, from what Ive heard elsewhere and from Arch, is easier than DirectX. to work with.

I tend to think Open GL is faster and more efficient..but I like the lighting and detail on D3D better. I guess it's a tossup.
    General Hershel "Kasimir" Jurik

President of Division 9 R.S.G.E

Fixer
    RK-1

Braumiester of the Pagan Bartenders, wielder of dual SSo8s

Stealer of hearts, creds, and anything not nailed down!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123