Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 14.2 gamenerf

Elaborating:

To wit:

Have a look at an Asheron's Call article sometime.

Observe how often and how casually "lifestone" is used as a verb. :(

Originally posted by Sergo_C
    I don't want to be around or share a virtual world with anyone who would quit over low level XP or equipment losses. In my opinion, they are weak gamers anyway, less mature, and are likely to only annoy me in-game.

My _personal_ preference is to avoid those people, rather than have a come-one-come-all policy and have a server replete with d00dz. Let them go play Easyquest.

My only quarrel with those who have disagreed with me here is in response to the, "It's not worth complaining about" theme. If it's not worth complaining about, it's not worth defending, either, is it?

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses on both sides of the issue.
    Whthere you like it or not is not the determind factor here. They probably doing this base on the feedback from new players whom cancel their account after 7 days trial.
    Last edited by Leumas; Apr 23rd, 2002 at 07:35:09.

My opinion, from my game experience, is that no xp-loss till level 30 is a bad choice. I do not play a lot, I was a real newbee (no "serious" online games before AO). I think I was the perfect example of a newbee. I started the game around October-November 2001. I'm now level 32. Level 1-30 is almost all my experience !. Levels were difficult from 1 to 15, not really as difficult above.
    It took me more than a month to pass these levels (1-15) ! That's enough for a casual player (not a hardcore gamer who will be over level 30 in 2 weeks).
    I've started a new char now, damn it's so easy to pass the first level when you know the game.

Level 15 seems ok, to me, as xp-loss stimulates your attention, enhance pleasure of surviving mobs, pvp and journeys and makes the "ding" really more enjoyable.
    Stercoral.

Circle G Inc. - Your safety is our business.
    http://nattguiden.no/circle-g/

What is it that you had to scratch, claw, and bite for that will be given to a new player by this change? XP? Please...I (and most of you) prolly lost more experience because of the telephone than from forgetting to scan. Amazing....Allegedly grown adults jealous of people new to the game.

Every day, the world becomes a scarier place (and I'm not talking about Rubi-Ka).
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Stercoral -

I'm with you, although I do play quite a lot. It took me about 300 hours to reach level 30, and while it's fine to make immunity from xp loss *possible* I think it will be disasterous to make it mandatory.

They're making things softer on those who become easily and intensely frustrated, by changing something which will deeply affect those who don't.

It's understandable to maintain artificial restrictions on permanent death, corpse looting, and that sort of thing, because they result in finality and closure which are not useful to a subscription based service, but again I ask:

If it's so easy to level to 30, why is losing a level's worth of experience such a loss?

Talking Well Said...

Originally posted by Sergo_C
    I don't want to be around or share a virtual world with anyone who would quit over low level XP or equipment losses. In my opinion, they are weak gamers anyway, less mature, and are likely to only annoy me in-game.

My _personal_ preference is to avoid those people, rather than have a come-one-come-all policy and have a server replete with d00dz. Let them go play Easyquest.

My only quarrel with those who have disagreed with me here is in response to the, "It's not worth complaining about" theme. If it's not worth complaining about, it's not worth defending, either, is it?

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses on both sides of the issue.
    Sergo,

I too come from a long line of gaming. Like me, you probably remember what the original AD&D Player's Handbook looks like (the thieves stealing the jewel out of the statue's eye). =) A lot of the 'cookie cutter' RPG'ers are here in AO. However, there are a lot of 'old time' gamers too. =) I travel with a team of ppl whose RL average age is in the mid 30s.

What I am getting at is, the game is great. People moan and moan. Fine. Do I team with them? No. Do I enjoy the game in almost every aspect? Yes. I don't PvP too much, but when I do it's fun (even when I get ganked, or lose pitifully). Otherwise I hunt with my team mates and we end up leveling pretty quick anyway (it's the ability us 'old gamers' have to adapt to everything thrown at us).

When you start playing, start on RK2 if you wish. We don't have as many ppl, but because of that we have less lag and a LOT less inflation. Send me a tell (Directordono is my main), I will even start a new toon if I don't have one already and show you around. =)

Later,
    Director Dono
    Omni Crat
    Omni Tek Wolf Pack - RK2

"In times of Peace, prepare for War!"

www.anarchy-online.com/character/bio/d/2/name/directordono

Smile

Thanks kindly, Director. I was planning on RK-2 anyway, so that will work nicely. I'll likely be named Serg.

Remember this one? "Either it throws the various Bigby's hand spells, or it's a +2 backscratcher."

Cool :-)

Oh yes indeed, you don't get cartoons like that anymore...

Wink

Cursed items are how sadistic GMs get their rocks off

On the other hand, its really fun to be a sadistic GM. Don't tell Funcom
    mercatura -ae f. [trade, traffic; merchandise]

Moved off-world and found real tradeskills...along with many other things

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12