Thread: ...still want my UNIX game client

Unhappy ...still want my UNIX game client

I still want a UNIX game client, I'd prefer a native port to FreeBSD but if I have to take linux, fine I'll take it since BSD can run linux apps. I'm just sick to death of windows.

If it wasn't for games, my M$not Winblowz CD's would become drink coasters.... or maybe a better idea would to use them as targets for shooting practice..hmmm

Re: ...still want my UNIX game client

Originally posted by daemon
    I still want a UNIX game client
    I think the client is too mired in DirectSux for that to happen, notice the lack of a Mac port, too. If they had used one of the portable libs (OpenGL, Qt, whatever)...

Some guy on this board once posted he plays AO under Wine. I'd dearly love to know how he got this going.
    Please post details on the config you used to get it to work.

Well, if you look at the No Longer Envisioned article, you will find the following

"No Linux port - Not enough users to support the addition."

Exclamation HAH!

Originally posted by Ampris

Well, if you look at the No Longer Envisioned article, you will find the following

"No Linux port - Not enough users to support the addition."

Considering that I've never seen a user poll (since 8/01) or at least don't remember seeing one.....asking if user's would like a unix/linux port of the game it would be interesting to see how they came to such an assumption.

My personal imagining of how they decided there were not enough player support was something along the lines of ..."<coders sit around cubicles swagging some beers in the wee hours of the morning> Well guys, says one, I dunno 'bout you but considering the smack we get on the windowz client... I don't even want to open the can of worms we might have by attempting another port. Anyone object to dropping it? <cricket chirp followed by deafening silence> Reckon not. "

Ironically if they dedicated time to a much more stable OS there might not have been so many hardware/client/etc issues.

Oh well.... so far since coming back this last week or so... nothing has really impressed me as any major change since the last time I played. With no unix client to keep me around... think I'm gonna close my account again ... maybe for good this time. I may try a few more hours of play before I make a final decision... it's a shame the game has such promise & I love the graphics... but it just doesn't keep me interested.

I think Loki Games is a great example on how great an idea and how much people wish to pay for Linux-games.

Oh wait... they went bankrupt ;p
    ~Lone

Unhappy Open Source the Client!

I would love to see a linux client.
    The only reason that I boot into windows at home anymore is to play 2 games.

All you people who think that it is a bad idea just because _nobody_ will do it need to give linux a try (and start paying some attention to why you might want to use it) instead of using the old no demand garbage line.

Why would there appear to be 'no demand' for a linux client? Hrmm...lemme see:
    (a) Most linux users still have a windows box sitting around somewhere for games
    (b) Most games have the windows version released long before a linux client comes out
    (c) Even if they come out at the same time, no big software resellers carry linux games.

Of course, with the direction windows is going, I will never have a newer version of windows than 98...once that is obsolete, no more windows for me.

You may be content to pay a large chunk of cash for a highly overrated os and then pay yearly fees to continue using it. I am not.

I still can not understand why no one open-sources their client for these kind of games. The fans will port it to every imaginable system out there for a company. Don't believe it? Well, if anyone ever gets over their stupid i.p. sillyness and tries it, they will probably be astonished to see ports for the client pop up within a month.

Anywise...sure, no reason to port it. I can see that currently it would not be worth the money to them to port it.

However...if they would opensource it then they could get mac users, linux users, BeOS users, Amiga users, etc, etc...for no cost other than different game developers would be able to see how they wrote their client. Big deal...more cash comes in and our games get better faster. Its not like they would be opensourcing the server...and they are already giving the client away for free.

-Religion
    "You get what you pay for." - Some really silly fool that never heard of open source software...or commercial software for that matter.

Another note...

And if they would open source the client under something like the GPL, then they would be able to take any good changes to the client written by other people and implement them in their version. Talk about a good way to improve the game with minimal expence.

These types of games are one of the most obvious places that open source liscenses would help a company make a _ton_ of money with little cost.

-Religion
    "Now you are talking crazy!" - Used to tell people that they make too much sense to be taken seriously in the buisness world

while your at it can you make a mac client
    Level 132 Nano-Techniction <---- Retired till NT fix
    Level 72. Engineer <---- why is my pet running the wrong way?
    Level 69. Agent <---- Retired sence Concealment Nerf.
    Level 58. Adventure <---- TONS of lost ip.
    Level 41. Meta.<--- Mp's are too uber.
    Level 30. Enforcer <---- press "Q" and watch tv.
    Level 29. Doc <---- Can't..... Find.... Group.....

Quote of the week "When people complain equally about all of the classes, then the game is balanced."

Only problem is cheaters. You open source a game and there will be (I grantee) someone that will be able to hack the client in someway to exploit it.

Post Only if they...

Only if they put anything that dictates how things work on the client.

If the client is just a terminal (as it should be) then this would not be a problem. Idealy a client will only send/recieve requests from the server. The only reason that this rule is broken by different places is (a) shoddy coding and (b) reduced server processing and network traffic.

(b) is a valid reason, but in the future may become moot.

And...if the client can dictate to the server, I gaurantee that any popular game that does this _will_ be hacked, source or no source.

-Religion

Linux port!!! Great Idea. I personally would love that!!!

Unfortunately, I don't see that in any plausible near-future timelines. I guess we're all just stuck to the same old crap.

I'm in your boat man!
    That's my two credits....

- Antoine Kozar (Greengiantj)
    AntoineKozar@yahoo.com

"Any forum posting, if allowed to go on long enough, eventually leads to flaming." - Dat Phan