Thread: Fixer/Engineers can hack reclaim terminals

Fixer/Engineers can hack reclaim terminals

I have an idea that I think Fixers might like.

I was exploring around the Stret River artery valleys and came upon some abandoned outposts with reclaim terminals but obviously no insurance. I think one of them even had a lonely guard wandering around.

If a particularly suited profession was given the ability to hack these terminals, it would give most of the benefits of the 'rez' ability, but still do it in a uniquely 'Anarchy Online' way.

Imagine hunting in Deep Artery Valley and stumbling across an abandoned remote outpost with a reclaim terminal. You know, a couple empty shacks and a picnic table. Well, it's of no use now. But ... if you had a Fixer with the right skills, he could hack the terminal to transfer your team's insurance data to that location. See where this is leading?

Your NT overburns his nuke and draws agro. Of course, he dies. But, now instead of ressing in 20K (three zones away), he materializes just over the hill at the outpost. Maybe even has a guard over his shoulder. At a minimum, he's back in the action kinda quick. Isn't this one of the reasons groups are so stuck on doing missions in Home and 20K?

If the Bureacrat in the party managed to cover him with the soon-to-come experience saving nano just before he croaked, then everyone has done their job.

Maybe if you hack a remote reclaim terminal and then die, you lose half your experience gained since your last save at a 'real' terminal. That is, instead of how saving at a real terminal saves ALL of your new experience, doing it at a hacked terminal will mark your saved experience at halfway betwen the point of your last 'real' save and your current value. Better than nothing and might get some people out in the world.

Or maybe the insides could be fritzed up enough so that it withdraws 10X the money of a regular terminal yet works normally. Still worth it I think.

Variety is the ****e of life and this simple change might make exploration and riskier hunting in far off lands more attractive to those groups with the Fixer who can hack the terminals and the 'Crat who can prevent experience loss.

Aren't the inability to save at regular intervals (risk) and the hassle of losing a teammate possibly for the night (downtime) two of the bigger reasons for missions in 20K and Home?
    Last edited by Bionitrous; Mar 6th, 2002 at 23:05:16.

I'll Bump once. Well ... I thought it was a good idea.