Thread: I know I know, Give em an inch, they take a mile ->MA Weapons!

I know I know, Give em an inch, they take a mile ->MA Weapons!

Well there is already no incentive at all to use them. It seems to me that at every level MA weapons (close combat not bows) seem to lower average damage rather than raise it. Basically every 3rd fist attack is interrupted for a weak weapon attack. As you know, even though the reqs on these weapons favor MAs with MA/Dimach reqs they also require a fairly high req in the weapon type itself, 1h edge, 1h blunt or piercing and you must also raise weapon Inits to even devisors of your phys init. This can be expensive in terms of IPs and basically only accomplishes lowering your average damage and disableing your special attacks. Spending all those IPs on weapon skills should be to the bennefit not detriment of the ma. Here are my suggestions.

1. Increase their damage range to make them 10-50% better than fists. Note, if you have a MA special that does say 800 hp damage every 40 seconds you need a sword that does 80 average a hit to break even. Weapons don't need to be better than MA specials, but they should be an alternative.

2. keep the damage the same but give them much better crits. Since ma's are masters at seeking out chinks in an enemy's armor (see their crit buffs) make their weapons do some massive crits so at high levels putting on a tachi with LMA makes sense over fists and shen.

3. raise the damage a bit so they actually increase your average damage, raise the crits a bit, and then allow special MA attacks with weapons that req MA skill only.

Personally I like #2 the best, since it's basically a gamble, I can trade the chance for crits for the consistant damage of MA specials, shen and BwT are like clock work, but with a tachi I could outdamage the special with 2 or 3 crits in the same period of time.

Re: I know I know, Give em an inch, they take a mile ->MA Weapons!

Originally posted by ULTRA1
    Well there is already no incentive at all to use them. It seems to me that at every level MA weapons (close combat not bows) seem to lower average damage rather than raise it. Basically every 3rd fist attack is interrupted for a weak weapon attack. As you know, even though the reqs on these weapons favor MAs with MA/Dimach reqs they also require a fairly high req in the weapon type itself, 1h edge, 1h blunt or piercing and you must also raise weapon Inits to even devisors of your phys init. This can be expensive in terms of IPs and basically only accomplishes lowering your average damage and disableing your special attacks. Spending all those IPs on weapon skills should be to the bennefit not detriment of the ma. Here are my suggestions.

1. Increase their damage range to make them 10-50% better than fists. Note, if you have a MA special that does say 800 hp damage every 40 seconds you need a sword that does 80 average a hit to break even. Weapons don't need to be better than MA specials, but they should be an alternative.

2. keep the damage the same but give them much better crits. Since ma's are masters at seeking out chinks in an enemy's armor (see their crit buffs) make their weapons do some massive crits so at high levels putting on a tachi with LMA makes sense over fists and shen.

3. raise the damage a bit so they actually increase your average damage, raise the crits a bit, and then allow special MA attacks with weapons that req MA skill only.

Personally I like #2 the best, since it's basically a gamble, I can trade the chance for crits for the consistant damage of MA specials, shen and BwT are like clock work, but with a tachi I could outdamage the special with 2 or 3 crits in the same period of time.

But dont you see, MA's will only use the MA weapons if they do more damage then thier fists. Martail Arts in AO wouldnt last long after that.
    I was one of the people who believe that FC had a "secret" 12.0 patch just before launch....he he.

You start to think that the Shrooms are wearing off and then you look at the ceiling and realize you got a few hours.

No, because it is a trade-off...

Some MAs will want better healing and hence have to spend IP in nano skills. I use 2 Zeniths and the 1HE and multi-melee reqs are quite steep...especially if you convert one Zenith to the new Hidden Zenith variety. I do it for role-playing puposes but it SERIOUSLY costs me.

It should all be a matter of trade-offs. I've had to basically give up on Dimach in order to raise 1HE and multi-melee. Other MAs won't give up Dimach and so won't use them...at least not two of them.

The weapons are ONLY useful if they actually increase the damage output proportionally to the IP expense in equiping them.

Originally posted by haniblecter

But dont you see, MA's will only use the MA weapons if they do more damage then thier fists. Martail Arts in AO wouldnt last long after that.

I think MA weapons should only require MA skill and maybe dual wield if you want to use two of them. They should also use physic int not melee int.
    -War is not about who is right, it is about who is left.

- L92 MP
    - L7 Enf

Originally posted by Archu
    I think MA weapons should only require MA skill and maybe dual wield if you want to use two of them. They should also use physic int not melee int.
    i disagree on the skill type.

i agree on the init. it could at least be half and half. that way raising your phys init could affect the weapon init because it is so intertwined with the rest of your martial arts techniques. this would help ppl attack faster over time with a lesser ip cost; thus making these awful things more attractive.

i like the idea of heavy crits. they would continue to suck ontil higher levels. when the damage capping comes into its own, so would high crits weapons. it would help keeps MAs on a consistent role of being effective in battle. it would also look cool to smack a mob for 12,12,800,12,12.