Thread: A simple way to implement taking over a base

A simple way to implement taking over a base

This thread got me to thinking.
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=10035

Taking territory and bases is scheduled for this summer, but I don’t see why it has to take that long. Well I can if it is done right, but why can’t Funcom implement a simple solution in the mean time. Now that the war has started up, players are starting to complain that they can’t really affect it. So come on Funcom, throw us a bone and let us take over bases, now. Here is how:

Design it so that both Omni and Clan guards will spawn at a base, but with different respawn rates. If it is an Omni base, the Omni guards will respawn faster, if it is a clan base the clan guards will respawn faster. Also link the strength of the spawned guards to how short the respawn timer is. The shorter the timer, the stronger the guards.

Now here is how it works. When a guard dies, his sides respawn timer is lengthened and the other side’s is shortened. Without any player intervention, the side that is in control will remain in control. The other side’s guards will spawn but will be weak and quickly killed by the much stronger “home turf” guards. However if players get involved they can tip the balance. By killing the other side’s guards you will make your side’s stronger and respawn faster. Once you get over the halfway point, your guards will be able to take it from there. BTW it would be really cool to see them duke it out.

Funcom can adjust how easy it is to take over a base simply by changing the rate at which the respawn rate changes. The faster it changes, the easier it is to switch sides. You can even make that rate variable so that the longer a side is in control the harder it would be to convert it. In this way outposts on the front could change side frequently, but those closer in would be harder to convert.

Oh, one more thing.

The side that has it's respawn rate below a certain threshold will be gain the advantages of the shops, reclaim terminals and bank.

Woops, just thought of a snag. You’ll have to code it so that if you are scanned at a base and it changes sides, that you will no longer spawn there when you die. I suggest that if the base where your spawn point is, is taken over, that you will spawn in the grid. If you have to get really down and dirty simply have the Fixer’s fastest evac nano cast on a person if they spawn in hostile territory.