Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Be able to rename the backpack

new backpacks?

Hopefully, all will go as expected. It sounds awesome. I can't wait. Even with the container gnome problem, it wouldn't be so bad if we could at least use different looking backpacks to store different stuff!

I am eagerly anticipating this new patch, for this reason alone.
    «¤ W¥RM ¤»

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/also dances a jig!

About the backpacks.

I to wish for a option to rename them, but as one post said it will take a huge deal in recoding.

Different colored backpacks. Sure, why not. But I got to thinking, why not have the ability to put stickers on the packs. Sort of like the tatoos. Sticker will be cheap and have the same symbols as the terminals in shops have. Pick up a sticker, shift right click on the backpack and you got a sticker on it with the symbol of armor, weapon, nanos, tradeskills and so on.

Inventory relocating.

I've noticed that if I add an item to my inventory, and zone. all things move around. This is very annoying as my inventory is halfway full with items I need on missions/hunt. OK, I might not need them all, but rather then trying to find a bank (Which is now filled with over 20+ backpacks), I carry some items in bags that people in my clan are in use of, or that i myself need.

Talking he he

/me opens UO
    /me goes to west brit bank (laggy for some)
    /me tries to dump a gem in a container within the bank
    /me gets message "Your bankbox is full - max 125 items"
    /me thinks we are lucky in AO and wonders how much data those backpack filled banks use
    /me smiles

Wink

Color coding, naming, numbering system, anything would help at this point.

I am addicted to clothing....need to code it all....even if it still moves around....

hehehe

Originally posted by Khiro
    Pick up a sticker, shift right click on the backpack and you got a sticker on it with the symbol of armor, weapon, nanos, tradeskills and so on.
    Do you remember the patch message about the Pioneer Backpack/Screwdriver trick? If you modify a backpack, it becomes a different inventory item, and everything in the pack is lost. Forever.

Can you even begin to imagine the fuss this would cause with players who don't carefully read the patch messages? I know someone in my guild who used a screwdriver on their pioneer backpack and found it was suddenly empty and couldn't believe that Funcom would do such a thing and not warn the players.

When it was pointed out to him/her that the same patch message that told you about the screwdriver trick also warned you that it would cause everything in the pack to vanish, they still couldn't believe it.

That issue only affected a small portion of the players one time, can you imagine what would happen to someone who bought a whole set of stickers and went through the bank labelling all their packs without emptying them first?

Yikes...

Cranium,

You're probably already aware, but the items inside of my backpack and bank do not randomize. They, as far as I am able to notice, stay put. It seems to be just the things physically "in" my inventory that randomize(including the backpack itself).

While we're on the subject of annoying bugs......would it be possible to fix the fact that you currently cannot combine ammo found in a mission with ammo bought at the shops. Ammo from missions stack, ammo from shops stack, just not with each other.......

Thanks!

How about.. LEET BACKPACKS =)
    Nah, just kidding. I think it's a very good idea, colored backpacks and stuff like that.

Way to go!

Apartments

I'd really like to see the apartments 10 item limit bug sorted.

/me remembers ages ago placing all his items in neat orderly groups on his apartment floor and watching them all disapear

It would make buying furniture more worth the while...
    Jharick "Jhanarr" Naarr
    Long since left AO :: Catch me on the forums!

Muffins are for sharing, so be cool - buy me a muffin, today!

My Five GUI Skins:::download them now!

"Do you remember the patch message about the Pioneer Backpack/Screwdriver trick? If you modify a backpack, it becomes a different inventory item, and everything in the pack is lost. Forever.

Can you even begin to imagine the fuss this would cause with players who don't carefully read the patch messages? I know someone in my guild who used a screwdriver on their pioneer backpack and found it was suddenly empty and couldn't believe that Funcom would do such a thing and not warn the players.

When it was pointed out to him/her that the same patch message that told you about the screwdriver trick also warned you that it would cause everything in the pack to vanish, they still couldn't believe it.

That issue only affected a small portion of the players one time, can you imagine what would happen to someone who bought a whole set of stickers and went through the bank labelling all their packs without emptying them first?

Yikes..." <Quote from Secretagentman>

I wasn't one of those that got a Pioneer backpack, but now that you mention it, I remeber reading about that you had to empty it first.

Even if they do add stickers, there is nothing to say that the bug that removes the items inside will be here then. Even if it is, they should post it with big bold letters. maybe a rubi-ka wide /tell.

And then you empty a backpack add the sticker then put the things back in. or you buy a new pack put the sticker on it (or the new packs will already have the symbols on them) empty one of your preowned packs. Put a sticker on it. open a pack without and transfer the items and so on.

I still see nothing wrong with this. I belive stickers/symbols on the packs will be better then having different colored packs. How many colors on the packs? will there be multicolors on them? Even then it is a hassle.

I keep my packs in various places in the bank. At the top I have my own. for items I my self need/use.

In the middle I keep armor/rings/bracers/implants/nanos. (things I dont use my self.

At the bottom all the weapons for my guild. I got several packs and since there is no way to tell them apart other then the size, I find this to be the best way, but even I have to go thru the packs to find that item I need.
    Last edited by Thoram; Jan 7th, 2002 at 18:54:41.

Question I don't know if anyone suggested this, but...

... how about making "named" backpacks similar to how macros are distinguished from one another, by yellow text on the icon? Of course, I can't think of a human-friendly way of actually doing the said naming in-game, but the implementation of such wouldn't require a database rewrite...

Perhaps
    /item tag Large Backpack "ph4t l3wt"
    would do it?

Where Large Backpack would, of course, be any item dropped on to the text line that you wish to be tagged. I can see it now...

/item tag Quality Mausser Particle Streamer "bad m0f0"
    /item tag Chemistry Tutoring Device "useless"
    /item tag Delisa "Jabberwockae" Slominski "über doq"

The addition of the /item command would, naturally, lead to a movement towards an object oriented scripting language, but that's a topic for another post and another day.
    Last edited by wh3lx0r; Jan 7th, 2002 at 19:36:46.

very frustrating to determine what bags not full

For me the most frustrating things about backpacks, besides not being able to distinguish and organize them, is opening bag after bag to put something in only to receive bag is full message. Is it possible to drop an item on the bag to put something in it without having to open it like Baldurs Gate. I mean opening a bag, seeing an empty slot and failing to put something it is extremely frustrating. A) either have no empty slots if the bag is full or have some way to distinguish without opening the bag that it is full. If I have an item and just want to put something in a backpack, is it really necessary to try every single bag just to find an empty slot. I guess having colors should help there so that I can find the bag that isn't full if its a unique color but it doesn't seem necessary for me to find a slot in the backpack does it when its not goin to stay in that slot anyhow. Just allow us to put item in backpack without opening it please or else make
    a way for us to distinguish a full bag before having to open it.

deja vu

I seem to remember something like this in the 13.4:Pioneer backpack modifications thread:
    I'm an engineer and I am trying to get into trade skills, but you could make things a lot easier with this simple suggestion (yeah, I know, its probably a coding nightmare, but I offer an easy out too)!

I am starting to need to store a lot of mission loot. Rings for melting, stones for cutting, parts for weapons, instruction disks for nano clusters, robot junk for Arul Saba; you get the point. To do this I am keeping a lot of backpacks in the bank with weapon parts in one, cluster parts in another, and so on. This keeps them organized and lets me store more. I also keep a bag in the bank with my future guns and armor that I have looted, but, not yet grown into.

Now, whenever I want to get at this stuff, I have to go to the bank and either get out all of the bags, or get them out one by one and check and see which one has the stuff I'm looking for i it. With 5-10 bags in the bank, this can be quite time consuming and a pain in the neck. Wouldn't you rather I played the game and interfaced with other players rather than open and close the bags I don't need? I know you are working on making the bank contents have static locations, but with several bags in there, it will still be a hassle.

So, why don't you do either of the following:
    • Hard Way: Allow us to label the bags kinda like we do macros. We could open a bag and type in chat "/bag rename Guns" and the word Guns would appear over the bag's icon.
    • Easy Way: Sell bags in different colors. Same 3 sizes, just add a color tint to the icon, a color to the name and maybe a couple words to the description. Let's see; red, yellow, blue, green, orange, purple, white, black, grey, tan and brown; 11 bags in 3 sizes = 33 different bags, fast and dirty!

Come to think of it, this would also be a great help in my inventory where I currently carry 4 bags; 1 for extra ammo and health buffs, 1 for nano crystals and implants ready to be installed (ya ne'er know when a friendly doc will show up) and 2 just in case I want to do more than one mission before returning to base with the loot (ok, I lied, I care 3 for loot).

Think about it. The hard way would be nice, but the easy way would work just fine and it would be a big win for little effort (that's what my development team is trained to look for)!

Anyway, thanks for listening...
    RoboKa & RoboKaKa
    Solitus Neutral Engineer & Pet

Labeled backpack

I think instead of color coded backpack (hey, some of us are color blind), why not have some backpacks that have pictures of nano, armour, weapons and other stuff.

if its color coded, you still have to remember what color is for what item you want to put. But if you have pictures of the nano, armour, you can easily just click it to open.

I believe no matter whether its color coded or pictures, its still the same code, right?

Hope it all goes well with the changes

we need rename/recolor of back packs
    we need items not shuffling in the backpacks
    we need items not shufling in the main inventory
    we need imidiate save of the inventory position everytime we move items arround... not when you die and pick them up from the reclaim

and we need to be able and open more than 2 backpacks at a time... it's not wnhough for me when im sorting things out

Hope all this can be implemented and goes well

Um... excuse me here... there's something I don't understand.

Okay, so the point of the new backpacks is to let us traders, engineers, and guild bankers to keep track of what's what, right? We're going to fill our banks and inventory full of these things, and finally be able to tell at a glance what's in which bag, right?

So... what the heck's this "get stat boosts for wearing the backpacks" thing? Not only does it make the bags ludicrously expensive - understandably so, since stat-boosting items are few and far between - but even the non-boosting bags still cost twice what a normal large bag costs.

Honestly! 6k for a little sticker on a bag? Of course, I'm going to buy them, 'cause I'd be a fool not to and I've wanted them as much as the next trader, but still... this is ridiculous.

Yes, I"m very grateful for the new bags' existance, but I don't understand what the thinking was behind making them SO DANG EXPENSIVE!
    Albea Naosuko Welding
    Mistress of Propaganda for The Honored Maidens
    "If I had a dollar for every time that happened... I'd have $3.50."

Aliases:
    Naosuko, NT, RK1
    Esselte, MA, RK1
    Albea, Trader, RK1 (Retired)

Socializer 86%
    Explorer 60%
    Achiever 46%
    Killer 6%

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12