Thread: Waiting in the Sky

Waiting in the Sky

"Fzzzt."

A small light buzzed on, the faint sound of notum coursing to life blared like a scream in the quiet darkness. Her eyes slowly drifted open, albeit tiredly. Pain in her temples was the next thing to greet her, and a groan rose from her lips as she turned over in bed. Sleep comes to me so deeply now, it figures someone would wake me...

Finally, her fingertips found her wrist-comm, as it lay on her nightstand. The light had grown stronger now, and she blinked a few times to adjust her vision. She stared at it for a long time, leaning back to lay flat. Soon, the holographic display buzzed into full view now.

"Vaaaaaash, what do you want!?", Raquel moaned in slight irritation as the image of her cousin phased into view. The young fixer muttered a bit, and looked up from something that currently held her attention.

"Cuz, did I wake ya? I'm sorry!"
    "Yes.. you woke me, boy did you wake me! What could you possibly want at this hour?", the agent had tilted her head back to stare at the ceiling as she spoke.
    "Well... you know.. you know me, right Raq? I mean.. ", she almost stuttered before taking a long pause.

Raquel just waited, but her cousin had stopped talking. She finally tilted her head up to look at Vashti, to wonder what had caught her tongue. An odd look of worry graced the fixer's features while she tried to find her words. The agent, lying in her bed, pinched her brows together and briefly studied Vashti.

"Well? What.. Vash, what's going on?"
    "I-I'm not sure, Raq. Really, jes not too sure. I had talked to Cin about it already, because I know she's spent a lot of time in the Shadowlands up there... she didn't know what it was either."
    "What what was?"

Creases of worry decorated the fixer's face again. One look at her cousin Raquel, however, spurned her on... she knew how annoying it must have been to be woken up in the middle of the night to some babbling girl. With a sigh, she continued..

"We saw somethin', er well, I saw somethin'.. I don't know, precisely.. what it-"
    "What? What did you see?"
    "Look... it may be nothing...", Vashti's voice rose a bit in frustration. "I just.. I'm not sure. For a while, I thought maybe somethin' had fallen from Jobe, but I couldn't find any reports. I mean, really Raq, half of what goes on doesn't get reported anyway..."

Raquel just looked at Vashti. Her expression turned into one of annoyance. Maybe she was being selfish for enjoying her sleep-filled nights of late. Something so simple can become precious once it's ripped from you, long enough.

"Vashti, just tell me it has nothing to do with 'Vampiric Diseases' and we can call this a night.."
    "No.. Raq, I don't think it does... but you should se-"
    "Good, then I'm going back to bed...", Raquel blurted out, prepared to put her comm back on the table. Something stopped her, however...

Vashti had linked her cousin to a holo-vid, and after a small authorization process, her eye implants burst into view a small display across her vision. As the agent watched, her brow furrowed in deep curiosity. Her lips parted slowly, her chin dropping a bit as she watched. Strings of images shaped themselves across the vid, like a chaotic dance. An almost inaudible sound trickled from Raquel's throat before she turned off the vid. She looked back at her wrist-comm and to Vashti; her look was one of near-accusation. They stared at each other for a long moment it seemed. What Raquel had just seen terrified her in a way she'd never known. Even after all she'd been through, new terror found its way into her gut. It almost fascinated her, and before she could distract herself with such notions she whispered low into her comm.

"Is this what I think it is, Vash...?"
    "I hope not, cousin...."

((just a light RP story-start for your AI goodness))
    Last edited by sezmra; Aug 31st, 2004 at 17:42:46.
    Lauri
    Cookiemonger

The Original GSP Groupie