Thread: Sound of Music

Thumbs up Sound of Music

Anyone think it would be a great idea to have subfolders in the sounds directory for our MP3's ?
    Like - The Sims - wouldn't it be great to pop in your tunes. So say when you get attacked - instead of the same standard AO 'dun dun dun' track, you hear your fave adrenalin pumpin',kick ass tune ??
    Don't get me wrong - i actually don't mind the music, background stuff in AO - but it would be quite a cool extra to be able to have this option ?

Cruising in your Yalm through the countryside with Clannad in the background (or Radar Love *lol*) -Of course this would be over the background hum of the engines that Funcom are definitely going to put in ! Aren't you Funcom ???!!!!!!!

Or entering the Reet Retreat and what's that in the background ?? Why, its that latest fantastic dance tune thats hit the charts - How did you manage that Funcom ? Keepin' up with the times ?

Of course - they should be randomly played from within its particular sub directory ( e.g. Attack, Environment, Club etc.)
    and maybe pick off from where it last stopped - We don't want to hear the same 30 secs of the first track every time we get attacked by a MOB.

Anyway, just a thought.
    ScottyB
    Lvl 107 NT - Rubi-Ka 1 - Clan

Thumbs up

A damn good idea!

I would like to change combat tunes (tired of the default ao tune) and change music all over, A VERY GOOD IDEA!!!!

And i want a big RROOOOOOOAAAAAAARRRRRRRR when i start my Yalm, would be cool
    NT phone HOME!!

great idea... would be very cool
    I must warn you that I fight very dirty, I spit and fart and soil myself

Me

"Sings we a dances of Wolves
    Who smells fear and slays the coward

Sings we a dances of Mans
    Who smells Gold and slays his brother"

Talking bump

hope funcom can add this to the game
    My small army on rbk2

NT
    Got Nullity Sphere?

Crat

trader
    <--flavor of the month

I See you!

re

I would even love a simple ingame cd player.

This is an awesome idea! Nice thinking... now if we can just get a mod to pass on this idea! I think this would add a huge bit of personal fun to the game

bump... I agree. Well, no I really don't have an opinion that much because I play windowed and run winamp in the background w/ music off in AO, but its still a nice idea.

Its all bout Phish - Back on the Train for flying between missions, its just a straight up cruisin song =)

Originally posted by Alexion
    bump... I agree. Well, no I really don't have an opinion that much because I play windowed and run winamp in the background w/ music off in AO, but its still a nice idea.

Smile a little extra point

Firstly, thanks for the positive comments and the bumps guyz

Just a couple of comments in Funcom/business terms to make it seem more appealing for them to do.

Most games as we know - background music is pretty important - not so much as graphics, but at least up there.
    Standard games last - what... maybe a month ot two until you complete it or get bored.
    Multiplayer games - well the majority are action, action, action - so the sound effects and speed of play are the main factors here.
    (excluding the graphics of course)

This is my first MMPORPG and the idea is to keep the player going over a long time (hey Funcom even would like us for 4 years !) - they have the excellent graphics already, they update the game with new ideas, places, events etc to keep the game interesting. (OK - I know there are problems - please don't flame over this point)

However, music takes a back seat here. Why ? well a couple of reasons - The music is good already (IMHO I think they have done a good job), there are always newbies joining who are new to it, why spend money, resources, download time in patches to produce a new score here when there are for more important other factors to consider ?
    BUT - for players who start hitting the month - 2 month barrier when 'normal' games usually get shelved, the background music gets less appealing and more tedious.

So give us the chance to work on it ourselves, let US keep the music interesting etc. Let US do the main work here.
    I don't want to take away Funcom resources from the main issues - bugs, gameplay etc. but as we all know (or should know) there are different project teams working on the different aspects of the game. So for what I think is a small outlay in intial coding (when they can fit it in) - Funcom might never have to worry about this aspect of the game into the future - one thing we are good at - is listening/choosing our personal choice of music

Regarding Winamp - yeah sure that is one solution - but we all know from playing the game that AO has diiferent scores for diferent areas/modes of the game - I like that Just give us the directory structure to match and I'm a happy man ( rather than us doing the equivalent - which we most probably couldn't be bothered doing - loading up a different play list into winamp each time we zone or start a fight *lol*)

Anyway - just another two pennies worth.
    Hope you spot this thread Funcom/Cosmik - even a feasabilty comment would be nice

Regards all,
    ScottyB

Cool cool

add this and sounds for yalms, if you really want to go all out with yalm sounds Funcom should add the dopler effect (you can look it up is Stephen Hawkings "A Brief History of Time")

Or you could run WinAmp in the background, which saves on a lot of memory process AO is doing and allows for a smaller chance of stupid bugs and wasted space on your hdd by copying ****.

But no, FC, please do more uneccesary work to make the game more bloated.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

Originally posted by Vrach
    Or you could run WinAmp in the background, which saves on a lot of memory process AO is doing and allows for a smaller chance of stupid bugs and wasted space on your hdd by copying ****.

But no, FC, please do more uneccesary work to make the game more bloated.

Run winamp in the background.... then the whole point is gone... I play music while playing, cant stand the ao music anymore, the idea is to swap the defaul ao music with your own... which is a very good idea!
    NT phone HOME!!

yep - it plays music already - can't see much more resources being hogged.

shamless self bump
    ScottyB

Thumbs up

Big bump from me!
    one of the best ideas I have read so far.

would save alot of updating from the dev team because it would put the musical updates into our own hands, so then we could only whine at ourselves for not having the best tunes.

then maybe later... we would be able to play our music in game so others could hear it.. for instance... giving us a chance to DJ at babboons..
    I'm getting ahead of myself again arent I?

Thumbs up Bump

in game Mp3 player? Bump. great idea.. its been brought up before but I think it is worth trying again.