Thread: A simple question...

A simple question...

I started playing AO on it's release date (got the last copy at EB that day). After a month or so I decided to go back to EQ and let Funcom fix some of the major issues. Well, now after 4 or so months I've just reactivated my account to see how things are. My initial reaction is that there just aren't that many people online, but I will reserve judgment because it could easily be due to time of day or location. So my simple question is this: Do you like this game?

I ask you all because I know many of you have experience with other MMORPGs out there and can give me an informed opinion. Even with it's faults is it worth coming back? Are you addicted? Is the world fun? Are there a lot of folks playing? Again, do you like this game?

I thank you in advance for any insight you can offer.

Right now i do...

I've been addicted to this game for a few months now but I have no idea why. Almost quit once, but decided to reroll a new character instead and I'm having a great time again. They need to work on the high level game a bit.. but getting to lvl 100 is still pretty damn fun IMO.

Lightbulb

The point of keeping yourself entertained is keeping YOURSELF entertained! Have a good plan to get to lvl 200 quick? Gonna overequip and use the optimal equipment for your breed/proffession? I bet 80% of the people who complain and threat (or did) to leave were those people. If you want to enjoy yourself, set yourself goals, set yourself challenges. If you haven't died in 10 levels, you are playing well, but might find things repetitive. Do stuff over than level and try out each profession/breed combo. Let yourself not be limited to the normal preferences and you'll enjoy yourself.
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

I hear what you're saying Telgi, and I totally agree. I'm really only asking because I've been gone for 4 months and want to get some feedback from people that have been playing it for a while. It's hard to come back and immediately get a feel for whether the game has been improved or not. Just trying get a little extra insight.

well

i love it. its good fun, and its just too damn addictive.
    My lungs arent blackened by tar, they're blackened by SIN!

One thing I hate. Spend 3-4 hrs assembling a group, another 2 hrs trying to lvl once, and then get killed right before you level. Other than that, w00t, fun fun fun!
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor

I haven't played any other MMORPGs, but...

This game is alright. The system of equipment in the game is supurb, lotza things that are cool that are rare and fun! Monster and map locations are supurb! NON-personal goals are LACKING. There is nothing that a bunch of determined people can do to change the world. I talked to an ark today that said he has played longer than god has lived, and he pointed out that this is a "Role playing game". Personally, it is not that for me. We can't even write down a message and pass it to people. I'm a quiet person in RL, and I am the same way in the game. Once u see that the game is only Lvling, and getting money by doing boring missions; Ur bummed. LVLing and missions are the only ways to get powerful! So much of this game is dedicated to getting powerful, and there is no way to use that power for the bigger picture! the ONLY roleplaying aspect to the game, is chat. whoopydoo, a character with a snazy attitude. do u think that a person that just wants lvls cares about a snazy attitude as much as 30k xp? I think not.

There are many ways to go about changing the game into something with more depth. I won't get into those now. U've read enough

OH, and BTW, what is a game where u have to get outa the game to play it? A person knows NOTHING about new events that are happening in the world unless they get OUT OF the game and go to the website. What's up with that? I've played for 30 days and the only event I could have participated in was a player started raid on a pvp area.
    Last edited by ODieLag; Jan 21st, 2002 at 07:57:49.

Thank you OdieLag, that is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. Very helpful. I know it is only your opinion, and others have different opinions, but you bring up some great points.

Highly Agreeable
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor

Thanks . I really like the idea of somebody appreciating my opinion. Now I just hope funcom takes it to heart .

I have played Gemstone, EQ, AC, and now AO. Gemstone was fun but the price structure with those premium accounts pissed me off. EQ was a horrendous time sink and I did play necro, AC was just crappy although if I were hardcore that alleagence system is ok. AO still has its problems - u still cant affect the storyline, but u can have items be named after u. U can play for just 2 hours, I play engie here so I can just log in, do a mission in about 2 hours and log out, or spend a day at the borgs and gain 2-5 levels. The variety of items and detail in AO far surpasses anyother games on the market so far. DAoC has far better interface and less bugs but leveling at high levels is slow and very time consuming. Daoc still does not have relics implemented .... and idea of weapons/armor wearing out is just not for me.
    AO also has that nifty skill system, that not only allows for customizing but will let u correct your mistakes during cap levels.
    Bottom line, if u are lookin for good class balance and are not looking to find a job that requires another 5-7 hours commitment per day go with AO.
    If you are into no-brainer, null learning curve "keep making that sword, till you drop" routine go for DaoC. There!

Do you get the feeling when you're online that a lot of people are still playing AO? Are groups pretty easy to find/make?

Depends on time zones and areas. Sometimes I get asked to go in a group before I even start looking, sometimes I've got to wait a bit.
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor

-Hard_Boiled

I have played Gemstone...

holy hell!! A gemstone player..I played gemstone way way back in the day.

Yea it pretty much depends on what time u play in AO..during peak hours ...lots of people around to romp around with

swick out
    -If u have fun its a good day...erm um night, oh whatever u know what I mean!

-Any moron with a pack of matches can start a fire. Raining down sulfur takes a huge level of endurance. Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer.- Dogma

-It hurts doesn't it? Your hopes dashed, your dreams down the toilet. And your fate is sitting right besides you. - Rounders

-Swicky is trying having fun -

-Master Rock Collector-

-Proud Member of Ecodisaster-

I have to agree AO is a highly addicting and fun game, but one can never be drawn into the game because it severely lacks any plot (as mentioned by many others). Setting goals for yourself like trying to reach a certain level may be fun at first, but what happens after you reach that level? Set a goal to reach another level? A bit repetitious. That's just more of a personal factor and I personally would like my character to lead a life in Rubi-Ka with more involvement. I feel like a mere peasant with no point in life in Rubi-Ka... uh-oh, suicidal thoughts (in-game of course) are filling my mind

I do have to mention however that parties, clubs and other social-gatherings make the game more involving.

But to sum it up, it's just a massive online Quake.