Thread: What is the definition of a static mission?

What is the definition of a static mission?

For as long as I have player AO (4-5 months) there have been two types of missions:
    1. Those which you get from the terminals that require a key to enter. These missions always have a specific goal and a reward stated in the mission documentation (whatever).
    2. Those that are at specific locations, but are lways there for anyone and do NOT require a key to enter. These missions have no apparant goal and I have never received a reward for clearing the mission building. Examples would be the center of the lake in the bronto oasis in Newland, the cave amongst the rocks outside the south entrance of tir or the cave due southeast from the 20k gates that seems to contain nothing but vipers. I guess these could be considered not missions at all, just hunting areas that happen to be in mission buildings.

So then what is the definition of the new static mission? What is static about them? To computer geeks, static usually means non-changing, but then, what is stable about them? Are they always in the same place...no, all issions statisfy that. Do they always have the same goal or story? possibly, but what other attirbutes exist. How many players can enter? Are these missions team only?

I gues I would just like to know better what to look for and why.

Thanks

p.s. I entered one building last night thinking it might be type 2 above, but there were already a bunch of others inside. It was a mission type building, but there were already atleast 10 players doing battle. If Static mission means that the mission is constant no matter how many people are inside, who gets the reward? Is there a reward? Is this rewardless and just an RPG thing?
    RoboKa & RoboKaKa
    Solitus Neutral Engineer & Pet

They are supposed to be like this:

You ask a NPC for a mission. NPCs always stays in one place. They are always there, unless someone messes them up. They always offer the same mission.

You get a specific goal (sorry, no examples here) which has to be solved in a specific way.

You then get a fixed reward for this.

Thus, they will be the same no matter which player gets them. Sure, someone with higher runspeed might have an easier time traveling to the target, but you still got to do the same thing.

Those static dungeons has been in the game for a long time. They are just a general hunting place where certain mobs spawns... No missions there.
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

Hiya RoboKa - actually I was in the "static dungeon" you walked into last night in Mort (but there were only 6 of us lol) my the OP/grid term.

It is as you described: a zone that is similar in layout to a dungeon but doesnt require a key. To find them you just need to experiment and try zoning in and out of different entrances...they are simply spawns to hunt and have no purpose aka mission nor reward.

As for the NEW static missions: it seems as tho there is some genreal confusion here re: whether or not one supposedly gets a key or not...and I don't know either.
    Auri Sacra Fames!

Specialone Clan Fixer RK-2
    Spatialone Clan Bureaucrat RK-2

Thanks

I guess my confusion last night was that I have never been in a static dungeon with more than a single person or team. When it became ...ah...7... of us last night i thought I might have found something new.

On the other hand, while I little skill at playing AO, I do seem to have one particular talent; Asking stupid questions...

Thanks again and have fun!
    RoboKa & RoboKaKa
    Solitus Neutral Engineer & Pet

I would like some answer from Funcom as to the procedure for getting a Static Mission

1) Do I NEED to talk to an NPC for the mission?
    2) How do I go about getting the Location of mission
    3) Do we REALLY get a mission Icon and a Key
    4) If we do get a mission icon can i use that to get the location
    5) Is it the same as missions from a mission terminal regarding rewards (item, money, exp)

I just hope funcom can answer my question. At least we know what to look for then.

Asked support about it. Lots of people get this wrong. Static missions have little resemblance with dynamic missions.

You can only get them from certain NPCs. You talk to them and in some way use certain keywords to get a mission. You then get an icon in the mission menue (hence the 6 slots).

No dungeon or similar i created. Instead, you get a certain objective (ask this person about an item and bring it to me, or something).

You will get certain clues, but there is no actual coords shown.

I haven't actually tested it out myself, but I'm pretty sure this is how it works.
    *poof*

When this game game I, I talked to alot of NPC's looking for quest but now after finding most of them dont have any scripts or anything to say to you I gave up. Now I hear static missions are in game but have yet gotten no clue where to find. It is big secret with GM's but does anyone KNOW where to start with these? I hate going into cities as I freeze up 2/4 times but if knew where to search would try if not wasting time...

Hint :)

Your seach should start in Lush Fields.

That is all I can tell you.
    Sepentura

"The future is in your hands."

Former Leader - Sea of Change

Check out my guide for the clan counterpart.

It's in this board.
    *poof*