Thread: What skill/level is needed to open chests?

What skill/level is needed to open chests?

Ever since a recent update I have not been able to open a single locked chest in missions. Since FunCom does not seem to be concerned about this (I see nothing in the upcoming patch notes) I assume that the problem is with my character and not with the game.
    I have some available IP right now and would like to buff the right skill to open chests. I am guessing the skill in question is Breaking & Entering, but since IP is so precious I thought I'd ask everyone out there before going ahead with it.
    Also, if I want to open most or all chests in missions, any ideas on what level that skill should be? (for example for level 100 missions, what level should what skill be?)
    RoboKa & RoboKaKa
    Solitus Neutral Engineer & Pet

Don't have any number out for you, but I throw a couple points in there every now and then. At level 53, I have less than 100 (maybe 63 or something- don't remember for sure), but I can open any chest.

The key I have found is to just keep trying. Takes only a few seconds to try a chest 10 times. Never needed that many but usually 2 or 3 up to 6. No big deal. And don't wait for the animation to complete. Once that lockpick is back in the inventory, try it again.

Now go let those frightened rollrats out of the trunks!

I've dumped a bit of IP into B&E. I've got somewhat over 100 now and I still can't open a single chest. I'm running lvl90-100 missions (ok, so I've yet to live through a lvl100 solo) and there's no way of picking any of the chests.

My guess is that in order to keep picking them, one has to spend IP on it on a general basis as more is needed at higher levels. Since it's dark blue, too bad for me cuz I don't have the IP to spare

Lvl 100-105 with B&E 180-210 (including generic buff) works fine.

Post Yes and no

Hi RoboKa,

lvl52 Adv with 120 Lockpicking.

Doors: 100% 1 attempt (up to lvl 65 missions)
    Chests: 90% first attempt; 9.9% 2-5 attempts; 0.1% more than five attempts (I have B&E proficiency as backup)

The good news first. I recall a comment of Cosmik, that this is considered as bug (chests) and looked into, but I can't give you the post. I vaguely remember something that they've overdone it a little bit. They wanted it to be harder, but not that hard (don't nail me on this statement)

That is really funny/weird. I kept this skill always fairly high, because it is one of the few possibilities to gather XP without fighting (for me). Likewise, it fits to my image of an self-sustaining Adventurer (Role play). These days it pays off. When I am on team, and I am rather often in a team, I unlock all doors and most of the chests for the other team members (fewest tries; 8-10k XP yesterday; 200+ per door; ~400 per chest). So my main duties as team member are healing and lockpicking? And I do some pulling because of my relative high HP, armor (buffed) AND sneaking -> single pulls. Ahh, and my team mates usually prefer my speed buffs and morphs. (well, you can have some fun, if you don't need to powerlevel all the time )
    Nice spectrum of duties . And, one could say, this feels somehow like 'Jack of all Trades' (well, let's not be to positive).

I am looking forward to that IP reset. Please, do it FC, soon.

So long,

Max(imilian)
    100% curious

doing a 170 mission I needed 305 B&E (285 did NOT cut it).

Keep the data coming in folks! I want to know what I need for a 200 chest.
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

each time i level and it become more&more difficult to unlock chest, i add few points in B&E...

i guess each chest has is own difficulty, and unfortunatly not based on the value of the items inside

i'm now lv74, my B&E is 201, i've some trouble when mission QL95+ (need to try sometime 4-5)

i just don't care trap disarm : GIMME MY ROLLERRAT AS PET!!!!
    -Marssss
    RK1 Agent
    RollerRat Diplomatic representative (www.rollerrat.com)
    "i come in peace"

I tested in a 106 mission last night with the following results:
    • Started at 75 B&E = chests didn't open after 20 tries.
    • Added B&E Expertise buff = chests didn't open after 20 tries.
    • Pushed total (with buff) to 125 B&E = chests didn't open after 20 tries.
    • Pushed total (with buff) to 150 B&E = chests didn't open after 20 tries.
    • Pushed total (with buff) to 175 B&E = chests didn't open after 20 tries.
    • Pushed total (with buff) to 200 B&E = chests opened within 20 tries.

The loot in the locked chests ranged from 80ish to 125ish, so, although it took most of a levels IP, I guess it was worth it (since I'm a 92, that higher level armor is a good find).

I guess we can figure, from this and some other of the posts, that B&E should be roughly double the mission level.

Thanks for everyone's help!
    Last edited by RoboKa; Dec 18th, 2001 at 15:02:18.
    RoboKa & RoboKaKa
    Solitus Neutral Engineer & Pet

B&E Where does it end

Now, I have a level 105 fixer which has a 350 "B & E" unbuffed. He can open pretty much anything up to level 189. Now, I really don’t think everyone should strive for a high B&E accept Fixers and engineers (even that is Questionable sometimes). Rather find a group and get someone you trust which has a high B&E in the group.
    All the really good missions you’ll need a group for anyway

Wink Well

who would trust a 'Fixer'?

Serious: I would honestly like to split duties, therefore we have different professions. But due to some nonelegant moves by a well known online game producing company, the profession of the Fixer is not that 'in'. Jake, do you know some Fixers around level 50?

So long,

Max(imilian)
    100% curious

Re: Well

Originally posted by Maximilian
    who would trust a 'Fixer'?

Serious: I would honestly like to split duties, therefore we have different professions. But due to some nonelegant moves by a well known online game producing company, the profession of the Fixer is not that 'in'. Jake, do you know some Fixers around level 50?

So long,

Max(imilian)
    Send me a tell in game "Jakespeed"
    I'll try and find you one.

The difficulty of the lock is based on the QL of the chest. The QL of the chest determines the QL of the items that can be found in it or the level of the roller rat.

I suspect 2 skill per QL is sufficient to pick a lock with few tries, but thats just a guess.

Talking Chests and B&E

Greetings Ao players,

For one I am happy with the increased difficulty of lock picking chests. Before the most recent patch anyone with a mere 100 points in lockpicking could pick any lock. I am also happy to see that doors are much much easier to pick than chests for those that have not invested ip into B&E.

The previous post Hit it right on, takes 2 points per ql lv of mission to open a chest. I can open chests in a 180 lv mission with 350 B&E. Now B&E is blue skill for Traders but I found it viable in the long run to be able to open chests. Considering the Loot lv increase and more random finds, I suggest everyone to spare Ip into B&E. I have been finding Battle suits and hard to get nanos that sell very very well. The skill Pays off in the long run better than any trade skill.

Mistell

At about 390 buffed I am able to unlock nearly all chests in a QL200 mission (level 112 mission, max hard, gives QL200 reward items) in less than 5 tries. At 370 without the breaking an entering expertise buff some chests would take 10 or more tries. I'll agree with the others that for easy opening 2 b&e per QL of the chests you want to open is a good amount to have.

Ah.......
    Finally a call for the forgotten Can-openers

JB
    The Cynical Fixer
    "The Money's Gone, The Mind Is Shot, But The Liquor We've Still Got...."
    "It's a fine line to walk between "No-Surprises Policy", and "Can't-Let-The-Cat-Out-of-the-Bag"
    STOP SUFFOCATING THE DAMN CAT!!!!

Valdazz
    L32 Omni Fixer - RK1
    Cynic Exraordinaire

Strange world

Hey Jake, either you are way more powerful than I can imagine or we had a really improbable coincidence. Just as we grouped yesterday (Newland) a level 45 Fixer was around looking for some company. The big chance! We invited him and headed out for some mission in WW.
    So, what are Fixers known for. Speed (buffs), SMG, and Spying (B&E, Disarming, etc.). Well after a little experimenting we figured that the cool run buffs of the Fixers (Grid Jump) don't stack with my morphs - crap. His damage output was really nice (compared to me, Dual pistol wielding Adv ), but he ignored the locked chests and doors??? Are Fixers aware of their Skills. I would have expected, a Fixer of about my level doesn't know that there are locks, that can't be opened!

Funcom, this is a conceptual flaw. Due to months of meaninglessness complete blocks of skills are alomost forgotten. Maybe, just maybe the game is a little bit to much combat oriented.

So long,

Max(imilian)
    100% curious

Re: B&E Where does it end

Originally posted by jakespeed
    Now, I have a level 105 fixer which has a 350 "B & E" unbuffed. He can open pretty much anything up to level 189. Now, I really don’t think everyone should strive for a high B&E accept Fixers and engineers (even that is Questionable sometimes). Rather find a group and get someone you trust which has a high B&E in the group.
    All the really good missions you’ll need a group for anyway
    but jake your not always there. I am the chest opener for swick and miglio. Neither of them ever put points into it. Im a 2hb guy, I get extra IP's anyway

besides, I want to be usefull!
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Re: Strange world

Originally posted by Maximilian
    So, what are Fixers known for... but he ignored the locked chests and doors??? Are Fixers aware of their Skills. I would have expected, a Fixer of about my level doesn't know that there are locks, that can't be opened!

Maybe he did not care about opening chests while fighting with a team. It is not welcome if someone joined your team and start opening chests like mad while fighting...

Break that lock HI YAW

Locking .

I mean a hey it is green to us and there are some killer stuff in those chests. If your not a fixer and if ya have some spare ips drop some in there. If not send me or a fellow fixer "a tell" i'll open that chest .Any fixer which doesnt have a high B&E either is streight PvP or has some issues which should be disclosed.
    I dont think people really know how important b&e is in till they get a little high in levels then it gets expensive..lol..
    Think of all the lost loot.

Dnastyone and swick will tell ya im just a moments away.
    Send me a tell and "POOF"

I have around a 360 unbuffed on jake..

with about 400 B&E i rarely have to click any chest more than once even in a ql200 mission....some people would say that havin 300 and clickin 10 times is just as good. I disagree however, when runnin a ql 200 mission for some item being able to open a locked door on the first try is essential if you want to live