Thread: Chess Game

Chess Game

Yes, I'm being pedantic, but the moves called are actually wrong.

When he said "c4", the board actually played "f4".

Seems the board had a layout of h,g,f,e,d,c,b,a rather than a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h as it is in algebraic notation.

I'll get me coat, before the flames start....

what? did I miss something?

chess game??

help please

*confused atrox*

Or is this part of the storyline that us RK2 players dont get to have fun with
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Ah

Yazule, he is reffering to the chess game in inthe latest story episode, which is located on the story portal of AO website. I dunno what you're talking about unless you , RK2 players, have a different internet than the rest of the world and dong't get access to the same public websites as us in RK1.

Dscaper, I am sorry, but the alphabet starts from the white side, so unless the board was set up in a reverse order the called out moves were correct.
    Major Shadowolf Marone
    Blade Corp
    "Leading mercenery organization in the Galaxy!"
    Position - CEO
    Rank - Major

Personal quote:
    "Your advertisement could be here"

This is probably the strangest complaint (thout it's really a correction) I've seen on these boards since the 15-page petition to keep "/ass" and "/crotch"
    "By the way, if anyone here is in marketing or advertising: kill yourself." --Bill Hicks
    "Have we turned into gerbils? People are paying money to walk up invisible steps over and over again." --Dennis Leary

Re: Chess Game

Originally posted by Dscaper
    Yes, I'm being pedantic, but the moves called are actually wrong.

When he said "c4", the board actually played "f4".

Seems the board had a layout of h,g,f,e,d,c,b,a rather than a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h as it is in algebraic notation.

I'll get me coat, before the flames start....

ROFLMAO

Re: Ah

Originally posted by Shadowolf
    Yazule, he is reffering to the chess game in inthe latest story episode, which is located on the story portal of AO website. I dunno what you're talking about unless you , RK2 players, have a different internet than the rest of the world and dong't get access to the same public websites as us in RK1.

Dscaper, I am sorry, but the alphabet starts from the white side, so unless the board was set up in a reverse order the called out moves were correct.
    No, we have the same internet, but I would not be surprised if we were banned from watching the movies. After all there is no storyline on RK2 so they probably want us to pay for the book.
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Re: Ah

Originally posted by Shadowolf

No, Dscaper is quite correct. The moves played are clearly notated wrong ('counting' a,b,c from the cameras view instead of from whites left to right).

Not a major problem I agree, but if you're going to use the chess-game as a fairly significant metaphor for the Omni vs. Clan battle, I think they could've gotten such an obvious detail right...

Smile yes but...

at least they had some nice effects on the 3 part of the episode.

I stand corrected

Yes, I stand corrected. Sorry, my misstake, I'm afraid I missunderstood the question. After watching the videaos for the second time I indeed noticed that the chess board layout was carried out wrong. The pieces were set up right, but the letters indeed started from the wrong perspective. FC is probablly reading this and laughing that now we're even *****ing about a minor error in a short movie episode. Well, that's the part of the fun lol.
    Major Shadowolf Marone
    Blade Corp
    "Leading mercenery organization in the Galaxy!"
    Position - CEO
    Rank - Major

Personal quote:
    "Your advertisement could be here"

Talking

I think the automated chess board might have an AI problem. That, or Ross needs to update his voice recognition drivers...

"what? did I miss something?

chess game??

help please

*confused atrox*"

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

You Do not know how much that sentence made me laugh! OMG!

Just that *Confused Atrox* Part hahahahah!.

Yazule you get funnier and funnier :]
    A comedic Atrox, Woah!

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/chessco...ion/notate.htm : for those that don't know about chess notation firstly.

Also, the first move was in reality, p-f4.

Just to give you a little more background:

"The Bird Opening
    The Bird opening is named after H. E. Bird (1830 - 1910), an english gentleman that transformed the "useless" move 1.f4 to a opening system.

Even today many players are surprised, sometimes shocked when they come across this seldom played move. This is a great chance for those players who strive to avoid the usual paths of opening theory!"

Looks like Radiman's gonna be tested on his opening theory too, and Ross is playing sneaky.

Could be a good sign for Omni-Tek the way I see it....

Originally posted by Cranium
    I think the automated chess board might have an AI problem. That, or Ross needs to update his voice recognition drivers...
    sure its just not another typo? like Ping Ring? or Pesant? (Peasant in the org types hehe)? someone might just have "accidently" typed the wrong letter on the board :P
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

weird opening too

Yes, not only is the algebraic notation backwards, but opening pawn to king's bishop four is not exactly normal either, unless you are deliberately provoking the opponent like Fischer did once in a while.... Pawn to queen's bishop four *is* a standard opening, but that's not what was played, though it is what was called, i.e. c4.

You know, I'm not sure I can ever remember in any film a reasonable or plausible chess or go move being played. Since I first noticed that no one ever plays these games properly in films I've started watching for it, and defective game play seems to be universal. In a typical film, people push pieces meaninglessly for a while, and then suddenly someone says "check and mate" -- of course in a real game between good players, checkmate is almost unheard of because someone resigned long before that.
    Go is even worse in film, since western writers and directors hardly ever even bother to learn the rules.

Latest film reference: the go game in PI has an idiotic initial position, and the supposedly hyper-intelligent players are making very stupid moves.

How hard can it be to ask someone who knows how to play what to put in your film or animation?

Striking another blow for thread relevance....

-Strycker Omni NT 58
    former USCF 1600 (quit playing in jr. high school)
    former Go 2-kyu (haven't found anyone to play with for years)

Read two posts up. The opening that Radiman was technically playing was Bird's Opening, which is a very skillful and clever opening. I'm not exactly sure what Ross is retaliating with, but Radiman is at least playing it by the book. Besides the erroneous notation on the board, the rest of the game seems quite interesting.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

silly, and you expect funcom to make AO what it is supposed to be?

Yes, I stand corrected. Sorry, my misstake, I'm afraid I missunderstood the question. After watching the videaos for the second time I indeed noticed that the chess board layout was carried out wrong. The pieces were set up right, but the letters indeed started from the wrong perspective. FC is probablly reading this and laughing that now we're even *****ing about a minor error in a short movie episode. Well, that's the part of the fun lol.

-----------------------------------------------------

funcom should stick with checkers. it's probably more their speed anyways. hehe. j/k.

he played C4 - the english opening.

Err... c4 is the English, but if you look at the board, you'll see he played Bird's. Don't matter what you write down or how you describe a game, there's no refutation for video evidence or watching the game live.
    Powervault ~ Legion
    Poweredge ~ Omegastrike

Poweredge's Soldier Guide (Now Sticky!)

You want to use CAC in SL? READ THIS

Talking

Maybe your all looking at this wrong. From y experience on Rubi-Ka some things happen independant or contrary to what you actually mean to do. Maybe the notum in the air causes it. So Rubi-Ka chess moves pieces as it sees fit no matter what the players want.
    I actually think I saw a "Take it easy" msg displayed in the background before the piece actually moved