Thread: To Funcom on PVP

To Funcom on PVP

I'm glad to see that you are trying to fix PVP, and are making changes along those lines.

Unfortunately, so far none of the fixes you've put through have managed to help much. This game is supposed to be about the conflict between Omnitek and the clans, and yet, at any particular point in time, less than 1 player in 1000 in the game is actually participating in PVP.

This oughta tell you that something is wrong with the PVP system, and that your fixes have not fixed it.

The major problem, the biggest problem with PVP, is that there is no point to it. Stand around 2holes for an hour, kill a couple people, then someone kills you. Whoopee.

In order to make PVP meaningful, there must be some point to it. There needs to be some incentive. I see this happening in two different ways.

1. There need to be enemy bases which can be taken over and controlled. Some area which one side or the other can control and which can change sides, with any guards present switching from one side to the other. These bases should have some point to them, and not just be a little area off in the middle of nowhere that nobody cares about.

2. There needs to be a way to see how many points you have towards your next PVP rank, so that you might possibly feel some sort of sense of personal accomplishment after fighting successfully. When you kill monsters or do missions, you can see yourself earning credits and making experience. When you fight in pvp, people would feel more of a sense of accomplishment if they could see that they just gained 10 points or 50 points or whatever towards their next PVP rank.

So far you haven't done anything towards #2 yet, and as far as #1, you've actually been making all sorts of changes in the wrong direction!

2holes was actually an area in the game which fit the requirements for my first idea. It was an area which could be controlled by one side or the other, because it could only be entered through the grid or whompa entrances which were very close to each other.

And it was an important area. 2holes was the only easy entrance to a number of zones in the game, and with players from each side wanting to do missions there, it was actually important to have your side controlling 2holes.

And, you totally ruined it for pvp by separating the grid and whompa and putting in the Omni guards. This now makes it nearly impossible for either side to control 2holes. And your new 15 second invulnerability rule will ruin it even more, as now anyone will be able to grid in in safety and run off to do their missions with no danger of being attacked.

This is great for those who want to do missions. But this game should be about more than levelling up and doing missions, shouldn't it? Wasn't this game supposed to be about the Omnitek/clan conflict?

I would suggest putting 2holes BACK THE WAY IT WAS ORIGINALLY. Put the grid entrance back where it used to be, get those Omni guards out of there, and make sure that the new 15 second invulnerabilty is broken as soon as you move, >and< that you are not able to attack anyone during the 15 second period.

Then you'd have a PVP area which had some purpose, and each side would have incentive to control it. And with the 15 second invulnerability, this would make it possible for one side or the other to bring in players to attack the opposide side, without having them all killed before the zone loaded.

I think your idea of the game is different than the view that most other players have. Yes the game is about conflict , but nobody said its all about direct pvp. You need to understand that most people dont like pvp because they know there is a person behind the avatar, killing monsters is completly different. Your idea or funcom as developer ,should not try to force people to pvp, for most people 2HO camping is nothing more than annoying. You dont need a proper pvp system to encourage people to kill each other, the system is only there to support people that want to pvp and have fun with it.

The game should have some points of pvp, but that should not interfere with the idea of the majority. Id love to have some siege places ( perhaps some kind of notum towers in pvp zones that gives the ruling faction advantages) that encourage pvp, but not major traffic places like 2HO, and especially not zones where you need to get through when doing missions. Im thinking of zones where omni and clan enter from different sides that cant be camped and they have to meet in the middle or something to duke it out (some cool ruins, or deep forest).

Titles are for kweldudes (imho), i see no point in them, i can remember the time when in uo factions the 13 year old kids hit their showscores macro every min. just to show off. Again this is only important for pvpers if they really get satisfaction from titels ( ok no loot but titles haha ), can be different for rpers. "non rp pvp" is not about loot or titles its about thrill and competition with others, or having fun with a good team.

Despite all that (sorry but flaming now) i see no valid points in your suggestion to roll back 2HO to old state, other than that you want to camp save again and kill others without them having a real chance to fight back. 2HO is ok now , you can camp players there but not as easy as before, just try to hide somewhere else (not on buildings, ok!) and of course players are loaded now when you engage them ( which basically means they can react ).

I'm gonna have to side with Stark on this. Why do we even have 25% zones if they are going to make it impossible to have a real pvp conflict?! MMD is a joke already. Omni has nowhere good to go to hunt clan. Clan doesn't come to the real 25% zones enough, except of course, for grid camping.
    Anyone else noticed that rewards are usually pretty good in 25% zones? I wonder why that is? Perhaps because it is dangerous to go there? It is a risk vs. reward scenario. You do not HAVE to go to a 25% zone to do missions, but if you do, you incur the risk of someone ganking you on your way to/from the mission. 2HO camping is what made that zone scary.
    I am definitely against a 15 sec mobile invulnerability. Not that I support grid camping, but this just reverses the problem. I think the player should be invulnerable (and unable to attack) only until they move.

-D

I was thinking along the same lines stark, looka t my post at
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...?threadid=1313

If only we could, TAKE over places :]

Originally posted by Dropcid
    I'm gonna have to side with Stark on this. Why do we even have 25% zones if they are going to make it impossible to have a real pvp conflict?! MMD is a joke already. Omni has nowhere good to go to hunt clan. Clan doesn't come to the real 25% zones enough, except of course, for grid camping.
    Anyone else noticed that rewards are usually pretty good in 25% zones? I wonder why that is? Perhaps because it is dangerous to go there? It is a risk vs. reward scenario. You do not HAVE to go to a 25% zone to do missions, but if you do, you incur the risk of someone ganking you on your way to/from the mission. 2HO camping is what made that zone scary.
    I am definitely against a 15 sec mobile invulnerability. Not that I support grid camping, but this just reverses the problem. I think the player should be invulnerable (and unable to attack) only until they move.

-D
    And I'm gonna have to side with Cthuluh on this one. I think the numbers suggest that most players aren't driven by the pvp aspect of the game with the possible exception of group pvp. Re the 15 second shield, to use your argument You do not HAVE to hang out within a 5 to 10 second sprint of the grid but if you do you incur the risk of someone ganking you. I'm quite content with the prospect of grid-griefers and grid-campers taking turns ganking one another

Originally posted by JuJutsu
    Re the 15 second shield, to use your argument You do not HAVE to hang out within a 5 to 10 second sprint of the grid but if you do you incur the risk of someone ganking you. I'm quite content with the prospect of grid-griefers and grid-campers taking turns ganking one another
    Amen to that!!! I could not have said it better myself.

Originally posted by Chtuluh
    Despite all that (sorry but flaming now) i see no valid points in your suggestion to roll back 2HO to old state, other than that you want to camp save again and kill others without them having a real chance to fight back.
    Exactamundo.
    Last edited by Slivicon; Nov 25th, 2001 at 07:39:13.
    Slivicon
    Atrox Soldier RK1
    Squad Commander
    Omni-InterOps
    "You can't just talk to people anymore. You have to hit them in the head with a sledge hammer. Then you'll see that you have their strict attention." -Kevin Spacey in Seven

So, you all aren't bored with levelling up?

That's all you want to do is just keep gaining more and more levels? "Look at me, I was level 113, but I spent 5 more hours fighting monsters, now I'm level 114, woohoo!"

Without a decent PVP system, the story doesn't exist ingame, and that's all you're doing is gaining levels endlessly.

Or at least, until you hit level 200. Then you quit the game, as all the level 200 players have done when they realized they had nothing left to do.