Thread: Omni-Memo: Current Clanner political developments

Omni-Memo: Current Clanner political developments

[OOC] I've been unable to reach the ARK reporters program at all through the listed e-mail address so I'm going ahead with posting this.
    [/OOC]

MEMO

To: all Omni department leaders
    Cc: public Omni gridnets

Subject: Current Clanner political developments

This memo has been written out to the heads of all Omni-Tek departments in an effort to inform them of these latest political developments on the planet. A copy of this memo will be available publicly on the Omni gridnets.

I have taken the time to review and look over the clanner’s recent attempts to reform the Council of Truth. To avoid confusion, for the remainder of this memo the initial Council led by Henry Radimant will be referred to as CoT1 and the newer attempt by the lesser clans as CoT2. The CoT2 has been an ongoing effort for some time now and is now nearing the final stages for its initial formation.

As of the time this memo is being written, the CoT2 is having some issues with staying true to their ‘cause’. There have been many complaints from other clans and private interests about concerns about the lack of democracy. For something that is supposedly held so dearly, there is a great shortage of it in actual practice.

In my analysis of the current Rubi-Kan political situation the CoT2 still have many glaring omissions or oversights that in my professional opinion need to be addressed before the group can be taken seriously.

[list=1][*]Historical: They are taking the name of a political group that has shown to be untrustworthy. Before the CoT1 dissolved they were under Omni-Pol investigation for funding the terrorist organization, the Dust Brigade. Omni-Pol managed to find concrete evidence linking the two before the CoT1 dissolved overnight. Will the CoT2 take responsibility for the CoT1’s past wrongs or will they try to shrug it off and pretend that they’re something else? But then why take the tainted name?
    [*]Accountability(Social): The last CoT1 fled the long arm of Omni-Pol started to close in and uncover their illegal activities. Rather than take responsibility for their wrongful actions (supporting a terrorist organization) they all fled and those responsible haven’t been brought to trial yet. Will the CoT2 be responsible for only the clans under its banner or will they be a representative for all clans? If it doesn’t represent all then what is it doing, pretending? If it does, how will they be held liable for the clearly terrorist clans that also to claim to be fighting for the same things the CoT2 represent? This brings us to point 3.
    [*]Representation: Do they represent the few or the many? Who is to say they do or don’t represent all clans? If not, then why bother recognizing the CoT2 as a political entity on Rubi-Ka?
    [*]Accountability(Legal): Just as Omni-Tek have to recognize the authority of the ICC, the CoT2 won’t do to have them running amok on Rubi-Ka without being bound by any legal galactic law/entity. If they seek recognition as a political entity capable of making decisions representative of any group they will need to submit to the laws governing not only Rubi-Ka, but the rest of the planets as well.
    [*]Recognition of Neutrals: Currently, the clans have grouped everyone on Rubi-Ka as either clan or non-clan. Right now for better or worse, the non-clan includes both Omni-Tek employees and Neutral citizens. The Sentinels’ ruthless slayings in Tir have shown what can happen if the Clanners do not give official recognition of Neutrals as being different than Omni-Tek employees. Before this group can be taken seriously, they need to recognize and respect Neutrals.[/list=1]

On a footnote to Omni-Pol that have warrants out for the Clan leaders in the CoT2, if they become a recognized legal entity the leaders would technically be protected as a diplomat. It may be prudent to retract the warrants at this time.

Sincerely,
    Charles ‘Kithrak’ Houston
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

Charles,

I don't think you can claim that the COT1 was untrustworthy. The alleged links to the Dust Brigade were never proved in a court of law. The fact that those COT1 member fled does not in itself prove their guilt. It was a difficult time, the COT1 was effectly under siege by the Ares Pact. For all we know they may have been fleeing fellow clanners.

Moreover assuming the allegations were true, that does not in itself tarnish all that the COT1 stood for in its 40 year life. OT-RK has had more than its share of rogue elements, "employees" who have taken upon themselves to violate the Amnesty, make military deals with Clans to subvert the established order, shoot Philip Ross and other Omni officials during their public appearances, and take the law in their own hand. That does not make Omni-Tek Rubi-Ka untrustworthy as a whole, all it really shows is the difficulties of governing a frontier world where violence is an everyday reality.

A new COT is in Omni-Tek's interest. If in the last 200+ years OT-RK has failed in bringing a military solution to the Rubi-Kan question, it seems unlikely this will be achieved in the remaining 70. A diplomatic solution is the only viable option and that cannot really happen without a central clan authority to negotiate with.

That said I do find the name COT2 a little ironic in that it was very much clan dissatisfaction with its moderate policies and the machinations of the Ares Pact that brought the COT1 down in the first place.

Savoy
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

An excellent read Charles, and brilliant work.

One thing I might point out, however, is that any crimes committed ex ante by a diplomat are not subject to blanket diplomatic immunity. This has always been the case, going back as far as 28,000 years.

As such, withdrawal of outstanding warrants for the criminal elements of the Clans and Council of Lies...*ahem*..."Truth", is not an option.

As far as the Clanners' current stance on Neutrals (Clan or non-Clan), I don't have a problem with that. I take the same view as well - Clan or nonClan.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner