Thread: ((OOC: When is it "TOO MUCH" ? ))

((OOC: When is it "TOO MUCH" ? ))

((OOC :

Tonight I saw something that sickened me to my core as a gamer, and in general. I won't name the parties envolved, as to preserve their anonimity, though they really don't deserve any consession from me, in my oppinion.

I am part of an Org, which over the course of time has made several in-character enemies, that is to be expected due to what 'we do'.. And therein, I am not unused to being the target of misinformed hostility, or being painted with a very wide brush with the sins of my org-mates

I am a big boy, I can handle myself.. And usually just a "eh, sling yer hook " will do as far as getting rid of the vocal few who have given me hassle in character.. But tonight.... It went too far, and it was disgusting.

The event that bothered me was as follows:

Someone who has had words with Dkaarn in the past (Person A)was walking around in a crowded place, Dkaarn isnt exactly what you might call a 'diplomat' so he made an offhand comment about the person, I fully expected a return comment, all in good fun of being 'enemies' but what instead happened was a disgusting slandering of a former org-mate (Person-B)who happens to now hang around with people who left Person A's guild to join them..

Part of the slandering , in /vacinity chat was that Person B was a rapist... This is where I drew the line and was taken aback by the disgusting display.

My better half is in real life a counselor for sexual abuse victims, I hear horror stories all the time.. she happend to be in the room with me as this slandering of person B took place, she was sickened also..

I'm not asking for the RP community to blacklist the person, or to even acknowledge who it is.. But for that person, and future participants in stories envolving such dire "story-lines" to OPT OUT, refuse to be part of things which have such harsh REAL LIFE implications, think of REAL victims and ask yourself is it right to mock them by pretending their plight is yours in a game? It is shameful in my oppinion and SEVERAL people were added to my permanent ignore list tonight.

If you are going to be mature enough to rp certain "private" moments, please I ask that you do so privately, and furthermore be mature enough to NOT behave as person A did tonight.

Thankyou,

/OOC ))

EDIT: I had to change the actual wordind from the R word to "sexual abuse"
    Last edited by Dkaarn; Dec 9th, 2003 at 09:51:41.
    Devil's Advocate is cooler than you.

"If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance."
    - George Bernard Shaw

Can only agre on that! Ive seen such cases where people get out of line. I say that you just report it, if you find it offincive.

People being unmature is classic error tho, but some other people are just plain idiots, not much to do there
    "It's your life. Keep it up! Keep it real!"

((If Person B had been in an RP situation where he was accused or known to be just that, I guess Person A's comment wouldn't be out of line even if I don't like that sort of thing. If Person A is just pulling it out of the air, then it's not only bad RP, it's also just plain wrong on a lot of levels.))
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

((That's pretty messed up. I mean, I think if people want to RP stuff like that in private in closed groups that's fine by me, but to go on about it in public channels where people aren't necessarily going to understand is not OK. I'm not sure if a lot of people understand why that sort of accusation is so disgusting to so many people, and that disturbs me in and of itself.))
    Delia "Aerinyi" Jett
    General of Whisper's Edge
    Atlantean

<(

It's horrible AND disgusting. I know about what happened here as well, and this is WAYYYYYY over-bounds. It just goes to further solidify what I knew already about some people in this game: Which is of course, there are some you should just flat-out avoid.

)>
    Ylemae (6-10? years old):
    "Lemmy" (True name: Jiselle Waldram)
    Jennifer Matusz - Daughter to Don "Doncarnage" Matusz

Chelle "Crysallys" Dinnen (14 years old)
    Hayley Dinnen's Daughter
    Growth Accelerated as a Baby
    Born Dec 25, 29476 RST
    Trainee in Vector Blue

Interesting viewpoint coming from someone associated with a group that considers themselves lecherous fiends.

http://ao.stratics.com/content/news/...rc7-2002.shtml

If someone thought that references to the devil were over the line, would it be respected?

There was sexual assault in PwH, at least it fits my definition of sexual assault:

http://216.74.158.92/content/game/st...ifteen/04.html

Player A did not depict or RP an act of sexual assault, he RPed an act of slander.

As serious as it is, there are many more serious offenses that are completely ingrained within the AO setting.
    Max "Quool" Marsalis

Sir I do not think your information is very relevent is it is a year old with completely different people as membership in the advocates. I don't know how many times a person needs to be told the definition of "Devil's advocate" but it is not a reference to the devil, satan, beelzebub or anything relating to religion or evil. A Devil's Advocate is a person that takes the side of the opposition just for arguments sake. For instance if I took your side in order to argue that the word Devil in the term can be misunderstood as a reference to the Devil in the christian bible. In the future I suggest you please check the date in your news before reporting it as current information, as well as understand what a figure of speech means before critisizing it.
    Atlantean Soldier.

Director of Obsoleet (@.@)/'

Thanks Don, seems some folks wont ever learn that "devil's advocate" has less to do with satan than the term "deviled egg"... But I digress

Quool, you may think what happend was mere slander, you are entitled to think whatever you want of it. People (as I said in my post) are entitled to RP whatever level of privacy they do so wish, but Quool my point was that some things need to be thought about on a mature level before going ahead, and ALL things that could have serious implications to a person if they were taken as OOC Real Life comments should most deffinatly be kept in private channels.

I'm done posting on this subject as the matter has been dealt with swiftly, and I want to extend my hopes that any RL people who have been emotionally effected by this or other sensitive issues are not too harmed

PS: Just food for thought, how come so many people seem to have no problem ignoring the In Game rivalry between clan and Omni in a bar, but the accusation of being a rapist is ok? Surely someone must have lost their mind if that is logic?

Anyhow, I'm done with this, comfortable in the fact that 5 out of 6 responses were in agreement, and only one wasn't.
    Devil's Advocate is cooler than you.

"If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance."
    - George Bernard Shaw

I am well aware of the date and of the definition of 'Devil's Advocate'. If an expression has 2 meanings, and only one is offensive to a few people, does that make it alright to use?

Before dismissing something from 16 months ago, ask your 'better half' how long the repercussions of a sexual assault last.

I agree Player A should not have slandered your friend.

I disagree with the proposal that people OPT OUT of such a storyline. The AO storyline has sexual assault and many other offenses within it.

It is shameful in my opinion that people would ignore such issues.

Think of the REAL victims and ask yourself if it is right to pretend these kinds of things don't happen.

It is shameful in my opinion to ignore people completely simply because they disagree with you.

I am doing what I can to make this situation better, by talking about it.
    Max "Quool" Marsalis

Perhaps player A was not pulling this accusation out of thin air. You want something more recent concerning DA?

Originally posted by Don Carnage
    Impossible. The girl is pure breed opi and everyone knows trybes like the soli meat.
    Look at yourself and how your own attitudes may be making this worse.
    Max "Quool" Marsalis

DA also seems to invite accusations of illegal activity.

Originally posted by Trybes/BarBile

Lawyer: DA in the past has been known to "bend" the rules a bit and likewise we tend to come under the gavel of the Omni-Tek courts. Of course we've always came out of the courtrooms squeeky clean due to our excelent legal team. This is one of the more difficult positions in DA but also rewarding in it's own right.
    Max "Quool" Marsalis

((What is your point, Quool? That we not roleplay evil? Maybe we shouldn't have make our characters Omni since that side is evil, known to bend or break the law and sends out soldiers to kill innocent people. Should my character never wear anything provocative in appearance because she would be "asking for it" if attacked?

No one is ignoring issues and people's real feelings do need to be taken into consideration. The point of the whole thing was that one person called another a rapist, pulled it out of thin air and it was not only in poor taste, it was poor rp - if it was even supposed to be rp.

We (Devil's Advocate) have rped in some touchy areas (I could dig up a lot worse than what you found), but it was always within a controlled situation with a group who was mature enough for it and understood what was going on. That's quite a bit different than calling someone's character a rapist in front of a crowd of strangers at the Bronto Burger.

Either way, I don't play computer games to learn life's lessons, I play them to have fun; I get plenty of reality throughout my day. If you want to help people who have had some trouble in their lives, I suggest donating some of your time or money to a good charity or other institution to help them out, not posting on a video game message board about how such people should be thought of while we shoot up cyborgs.

Originally posted by Quool
    I am well aware of the date and of the definition of 'Devil's Advocate'. If an expression has 2 meanings, and only one is offensive to a few people, does that make it alright to use?
    Which is the "offensive" definition?))
    Last edited by Nevver; Dec 10th, 2003 at 13:46:01.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Originally posted by Nevver
    ((What is your point, Quool?
    Originally posted by Quool
    I agree Player A should not have slandered your friend.

I disagree with the proposal that people OPT OUT of such a storyline. The AO storyline has sexual assault and many other offenses within it.
    That we not roleplay evil?
    No, go ahead and play evil. Don't be surprised if people start accusing you of other evil things, you may or may not have done, though.

Should my character never wear anything provocative in appearance because she would be "asking for it" if attacked?
    No, but your character can think for herself.
    Max "Quool" Marsalis

This isn't In-character so this normally would not be allowed here. Second it's turning into a flame fest. Locking it down.
    ARK Community Relations Forums Oracle Guardian

~Forums Social Guidelines~

~Advisors of Rubi-Ka Website~