Thread: RE: PvP Rankings on Website

RE: PvP Rankings on Website

this is in regards to a poll found here about whether or not the PvP rankings should be shown on the front page.

No. No. Ten thousand times, no. I am of the oppinion that having the titles above someones head for PvP is completely foolish. Awarding PvP is certainly something that can be done... in a game where PvP isn't botched beyond recognition, perhaps. But what good would a on-page ranking do? Show who was best at keeping that 2h0 grid point warm? Show who best utilized the fact that you can kill someone before they've even loaded the zone (as informed by ARKs, obviously not an exploit)? No. I beg you, please don't make it any more appealing for grid campers to do their thing. When you've repaired the travesty that is AO PvP then, and not before, should we worry about how to award the courageous few who brave PvP.

If they ranked people, they would have to reveal the points system, somewhat.

I don't care, personally, but I think that it's funny that they keep the ranking system so secret, and now they are going to tell us who is the best rookie, how close people are to appr. etc. etc.

Unless they just lump everyone together by title level, which would be lame.
    Katelin Arinia Rhees
    Level 220 Enforcer
    Former Enforcer Professional
    Former President of the late Midnight Reveries
    Account Created: 2001-10-08; Account Expired: 2005-02-19

I agree, I think awarding people for killing others before they completely zone is a bad idea. It is not in the spirit of the game.

I think this is the reason for all the anger people have when killed by grid campers. For me, I hadn't been to 2 holes since the grace period patch. I was under the impression that Funcom had intended PvP to be optional and you would have the chance to get your bearing and flee the PvP zone if you hurried. Funcom expressed the intention of elimating grid camping.

I visited there twice, once in a car and once in a plane, both times killed instantly. The first, I was clearly rooted before the grace period was over. It really angered me. I thought, "What is this crap, this is not what the game is about. If not technically an exploit it sure is terrible and cowardly gamesmanship". The second time, my plane was shot down by 4 attackers.

This is the source of the anger. People feel that this is cheating, if not technically declared an exploit by Funcom. This is where the profanity comes from, that people have been complaining about.

Remember when the game first came out an you were dying left and right in missions, not because you did anything wrong, just bitten by a gameplay bug. Remember zoning, where you got suspended at the zone line and monsters continued to attack you until you died in limbo. Remember characters warping back in time and losing levels and IP? These problems drew venomous posts from subscribers. They felt cheated by this beta quality product. Profanity was rampant.

I think the grid camping deaths evoke this same "cheated " feeling and cause to people to go raving made for about 15 minutes. Most people save before gridding and generally lose nothing but time, therefore; the anger is way disproportionate to the result (death). It is the cheated feeling which evokes this visceral response.

When I first discovered PvP in Meetmedere, I realized the inherent danger in that mission in the far back section on the right. Taking a mission to that spot was a risk. Could you run into the city and get back out without being attacked? This was kind of a rush. If I died, oh well. If I made it, ha! I win. Fun stuff. I could run into the city with full vision and function. With the Grid, I may have vision for about three seconds, then all hell breaks loose. Not an a pleasant situation and certainly not fair.

The point is, I never got mad if I got killed on a mission there, I was taking a calculated risk. I died, but did not FEEL cheated.

The Girdcampers counter that I know 2ho is Pvp, so yeah, I don't grid there anymore, but I had to learn the first time. Hey. I thought this problem was fixed. No,sorry, you can pick up your stuff at the nearest reclaim booth.

So, PvP rules need polishing and grid camping needs to be eliminated not rewarded, to make the game better for us all. As I have said before, have fun, but not at the expense of others players.

Oh by the way, I was in Tir superior store last night, coming out of the nano department when I saw several characters standing inside of each other doing that treatment exploit. They shouted "Hey, come stand inside me, someone get in here, we need another." Guess what, all of them had PvP titles. I also have to say that people with PvP titles are much more likely to ignore you if you ask for implant assembly, than a none PvPer. That has been my experience. You PVPers have a terrible image in this game. Yes, I know, and there are some honest politicians, too.

From this match, I suspect a flame.

It be good to have, Time taken, where, what lvl etc etc.
    But thats ALOT of logging :P

Cloudeh,

I read your post where you recorded the exploit. I don't know how to take a screen shot or record dialogue, so sorry. But it happened in Tir superior store.

Uuuum..okay you could have private messaged me

f11 or f2

F12 for screenshot,

on your firends tab, where you have all your channels listed there are two squares to the right of each:
    Listen
    Log

if you tick listen you will listen that channel, if you tick log you will log what is beeing said there.

hope it helps