Thread: OOC: Synergy Factor and RP

OOC: Synergy Factor and RP

This post was originally part of a follow-up to the "When Clans attack..." thread, but it has a point to it that some of you may find useful.

We are not a role playing organization. A long time ago, we did everything we could to be friendly and not interfere with role players. However, in spite of our efforts, the role playing community insulted and harassed us for every little thing that they felt we did wrong. So now that we've grown up and can kick your ass, you want us to play nice and respect your playstyle when you wouldn't show us the same respect before.

If you want to encourage role playing, I would suggest being more tolerant of those that are new to the MMORPG environment and may not be as interested in hardcore RP as many of you may be. Most new players are struggling enough with the mechanics of the game without having to deal with hostility resulting from the politics of RP. People like myself and many in my organization could have just as easily gone the RP route had it not been for the alienation by many in this community when we were new to the game.
    Kennan - President, Arcane Legacy
    Asmoran - Retired (Former President, Synergy Factor)

Thumbs up I understand what you mean, Hon

mirrored much of what you are saying here:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=93491

Tolerate and create>>>

EDIT Decided to edit mine< to clarify. My only intent in replying was to concur with the poster's call to tolerance. Not to address any specific situation he may have had with any guild or person. Definately meant it purely as an agreement to the idea to tolerate.
    Last edited by Gorgetha; Feb 1st, 2003 at 15:54:40.
    Gorgetha
    Priestess of the Unspeakable
    Omni Meta-physicist (RK1 Atlantean)

Who exactly is this thread meant for? I can't help but feel you included me in that blanket statement. From level one to two hundred I have never once been intolerant of anyone's play style(including members of Synergy Factor). I'm very familiar with people that are intolerant of others play styles and it sucks. Being level 200 and into the RP aspects of AO I've seen both sides of the intolerant community. However I feel blanket statements made in anger don't serve anything except to divide the community further. I respect the work you've done with NWChat and don't really want to flame you. But I don't think these kind of messages do much to solve the problem.
    Advisor of First Light
    Tradeskill How-To's, Engineer Profession Guides, and Jello Wrestling at The Tir School of Engineering
    Confused by Alien Tech? Check out my Alien Invasion Guides

New to Engineering? Try HighOrbit's Engineer Guide. Thanks HighOrbit

It is kind of vague.

Obviously Synergy Factor has had some bad experiences with RP'rs. But aaronb, can you tell us a bit more about the details?

I'm totally not familiar this.
    ======================

blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

Lyricia, please don't take it personally. I posted this to share a perspective that might help many in the RP community move AO more in a direction they want. This post was not made in anger at all, but more after I took a step back and thought about the situation and how it could encourage learning instead of just more discontent.

Originally posted by Blix

Obviously Synergy Factor has had some bad experiences with RP'rs. But aaronb, can you tell us a bit more about the details?
    Most of our "bad experiences" took place a long time ago, but it's little stuff like hostile reactions to buffing omni, hostile reactions to accidentally aggroing guards with mongo, or more recently stirring up drama on leader chat because we aren't attacking bases controlled by friends we have in the opposing faction.

I don't pay much attention to this forum, but I do stop by every once in a while to see what the RP community is up to. Right now, I see people frustrated by organizations that have no regard for RP in this game (including mine). So, I think back to *why* we have no regard for RP and what could have been done (or could be done in the future) to make the situation better for both "sides".

We used to have a statement on our website that though we are not a role-playing organization, we did support preserving the role-playing environment (basically that we would not interfere or antagonize people that were interested in RP).

If people want to judge SF because we consider guards to be just another mob or whatever, we're well beyond where we care what other people think. My point here is that those people might not want to push so hard on new players or you'll end up with more people against you than with you.

This is really just a suggestion, not a whine or a flame. Please accept it as that.

It is kind of vague.

I'm totally not familiar this.
    I actually liked to RP before, but the leaders of 2 of the biggest RP guilds "harrassed" me so much because they wanted Apocalypse name in when they wanted to write their story for an RP event...

Now I only discuss RP events or to help people with RP events if those 2 guilds have absolutly nothing to do with it.

Some RPers have absolutly no respect for people that don't RP and they ruin ALOT for the other RPers when it come to getting more people into RP.
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

Rp, non-rp its still a game and is meant to be fun. People RP to have fun, some don't for the same reasons. When it stops being fun for the other person leave them alone. *shrugs* That's my idealology.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

Re: OOC: Synergy Factor and RP

Originally posted by aaronb
    This post was originally part of a follow-up to the "When Clans attack..." thread, but it has a point to it that some of you may find useful.

We are not a role playing organization. A long time ago, we did everything we could to be friendly and not interfere with role players. However, in spite of our efforts, the role playing community insulted and harassed us for every little thing that they felt we did wrong. So now that we've grown up and can kick your ass, you want us to play nice and respect your playstyle when you wouldn't show us the same respect before.

If you want to encourage role playing, I would suggest being more tolerant of those that are new to the MMORPG environment and may not be as interested in hardcore RP as many of you may be. Most new players are struggling enough with the mechanics of the game without having to deal with hostility resulting from the politics of RP. People like myself and many in my organization could have just as easily gone the RP route had it not been for the alienation by many in this community when we were new to the game.
    I know this doesnt apply to me. I am often seen in RP situations, and camping Uber mobs. I respect everyones playstyle, and expect everyone to respect mine as well. I have had no problems coexisting with SF, as my guild Arion and SF are good friends. I can enjoy the Uber loot scene, and enjoy the Character scene as well. Though I do understand that some people have trouble doing both, or choose not to. This postis to show Respect for everyone.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

Re: Re: OOC: Synergy Factor and RP

Originally posted by Fixerben

I know this doesnt apply to me. I am often seen in RP situations, and camping Uber mobs. I respect everyones playstyle, and expect everyone to respect mine as well. I have had no problems coexisting with SF, as my guild Arion and SF are good friends. I can enjoy the Uber loot scene, and enjoy the Character scene as well. Though I do understand that some people have trouble doing both, or choose not to. This postis to show Respect for everyone.
    Well said, I can only add my support to this.
    All the ducks are swimming in the water

OOC:

Its nice and all to say that we must all get along, and its just a game. But in practice, there will be problems.

A non-RP'r main goal is to team with friends, go out, and have a good time collecting loot, killing monsters, battling each other.

As RP'er we have chosen to impose an overriding set of rules upon ourselves. We must stay in character, play the part, make sure that what we do is always consistant with our storyline.

Our success is measured by our ability to be convincing actors. Theirs is measured by experience points, and weath.

Neither approach to gaming is wrong, but because of the difference there will be problems. We need to recognize it and not simply say that 'we should all get along'. That's not enough. We need rules on how to interact with each other to make sure that we can manage.

Sadly, I'd say the burdon is on us, the role players, to initiate this. It's us that have the greater requirements. It is us, that are asking things of non-RP'rs.

Any ideas?
    ======================

blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

Sadly, I'd say the burdon is on us, the role players, to initiate this. It's us that have the greater requirements. It is us, that are asking things of non-RP'rs.
    And I am open to discussing concessions we can make in order to not disrupt the game for you. We may find that a few small things could make a big difference in your gameplay without disrupting our gameplay.

/ignore <name>

simple solution. If someone is disrupting your RP gameplay, or annoying you with their Rp when you dont want it, slap that puppy on them and go on with life. If you are a Rpers you should be able to Rp that person not existing at all

(( I think the only element I would like to see is the Clans pick up the good fight and take it to the enemy that they all know so well as Omni-Tek.

If nonRPs would just get their targets straight, we'd all be happier campers everywhere.))

You'd probably be a happy camper if you just accepted that some people don't wish to RP, ignored them, and got on with your life.

OOC

That would be fine if not for some RPers expecting us to somehow police our non-RP brethren. This puts us in a difficult spot; tick off non RP guilds who occasionally are bigger, stronger and meaner than we are, or leave them alone and tick off a faction that just hired goons to kill all clanners.
    Hmmm, actually that's not a hard choice at all...
    BigGreen
    Advisor of Rising Phoenix
    www.risingphoenix.org

current setup

(( The point is I can set every person I want to /ignore, but that won't stop them from interfering with myself or others. No matter what our play styles.

But thanx for the trolling!))

OOC:

Its nice and all to say that we must all get along, and its just a game. But in practice, there will be problems.

A non-RP'r main goal is to team with friends, go out, and have a good time collecting loot, killing monsters, battling each other.

As RP'er we have chosen to impose an overriding set of rules upon ourselves. We must stay in character, play the part, make sure that what we do is always consistant with our storyline.

Our success is measured by our ability to be convincing actors. Theirs is measured by experience points, and weath.

Neither approach to gaming is wrong, but because of the difference there will be problems. We need to recognize it and not simply say that 'we should all get along'. That's not enough. We need rules on how to interact with each other to make sure that we can manage.

Any ideas?
    I think that I have found ways to include camping Uber loot and the incorporation of said loot into my characters life. No one on this planet knows who I am in RL because I am always in character when I play. So in that way, I constantly RP, and can camp Uber loot mobs while staying in my character.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21