Thread: Lame Names

Lame Names

Coming up with a decent nickname is almost impossible... on either server. They are all taken.

I wish they would start allowing one space in names... or a hyphen or something. I hate having to use a name with a number at the end (Bob123)... It's completely lame.

I have used some pretty obscure stuff for names and even they are taken...

They should do a character wipe for the names that have been chosen but are no longer used or something... This is ridiculous... I have been searching the web for good ideas and everything is taken.

But I refuse to use a name with a number at the end...
    The Sleepwalker

Namemaker is my middlename

Greetings

I offer my help to anyone who needs a name.

Lamonia

If bob was taken, you could probably still able to use bo13 or b0b.
    I usally add a 'the' infront of my character name, and often it was not taken. Altenately, you could try spelling backward for you character name.
    Last edited by Leumas; Feb 4th, 2002 at 17:38:15.

Leumas, I don't think you got the point of my post...
    The Sleepwalker

Originally posted by The_Sleepwalker
    Leumas, I don't think you got the point of my post...
    I was trying to help you to pick a name since you complain that most name are already occupied. Obviously, you do not need my help, I will shut up then. BTW, how would you feel, if your name was taken away and give to someone else after a patch?

I appreciate your willingness to help, but if you had really understood my post, you would have seen that I was trying to avoid names with numbers in them and d00d-sp33k names...

A character wipe would only include the names of characters from accounts that are no longer valid. I don't know if the names they had become available again instantly or not...

Anyway, I did finally come up with a name. Not exactly what I wanted, but it works...
    The Sleepwalker

That name generator is great. Thanks for sharing

If done with some thought a number can be used but not noticed.

Example: Termina1 or 5teve.

It takes some trail and error but can work.

Good luck.

Originally posted by The_Sleepwalker
    I appreciate your willingness to help, but if you had really understood my post, you would have seen that I was trying to avoid names with numbers in them and d00d-sp33k names...

One problem with names though. If you have a really hard name, it could be hard for people to give you tells. (Unless they have come up with a way to click a name you see or something.)

Back when AO first came out, I really wanted the name Belladonna, but it was taken. So I just added an extra l and became Bellladonna. It looked the same and I was pleased.

Then one day around level 25 I started selling in the chat channel and of the only people who did reply to buy my stuff, they all had to make a comment on how hard it was to give me a tell cuz of the spelling.

Food for thought.

Also, with the way you can look up charactors now, it's amazing how many of the good names are on level 1 charactors. I think heaps of these accounts are dead now (as my old one is because of some payment glitch and it was easier just to pay the 20 US dollars for a new account.)

I read somewhere there is a three month charactor wipe, but obviously this has not been implemented yet or my old charactors would be dead. Kinda sucks to look them up and see them in all their glory in a pic. :P

Re: names

Originally posted by reality
    Have you seen this ?
    http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/
    Thanks. That thing rocks. I just wish I had known about it before I named my current Atrox character

Lunkdoof would have made a great name. Or Belch (although Belch is probably taken).

I usally add a 'the' infront of my character name, and often it was not taken. Altenately, you could try spelling backward for you character name.

Great idea, simply spell "bob" backwards and that shouldn't be taken... why didn't I think of that dammit.
    Last edited by Anatha; Feb 7th, 2002 at 02:01:24.

Originally posted by Anatha

Great idea, simply spell "bob" backwards and that shouldn't be taken... why didn't I think of that dammit.
    Bob was an example, thank you for picking on it. BY the way, my board nickname are spelling backward, so it work for me.
    Last edited by Leumas; Feb 7th, 2002 at 05:20:10.

a good start would be allowing canceled account
    character names to be used again . .

anyone that's been gone more than 3+ months
    (or whatever the official time-limit for character deletion is)
    isnt going to be using them anymore..

how many canceled accounts?
    10,000+? (random guess)
    multiplied by 8 character names ..

no wonder it's tough for newbies and rerolls
    to get out of the character-creation room.

Originally posted by Leumas
    Yeah! try Bob backward! :P

Only joking ofcourse, couldn't help it
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

Cool Re: Re: names

Originally posted by Kichigai

Thanks. That thing rocks. I just wish I had known about it before I named my current Atrox character

Lunkdoof would have made a great name. Or Belch (although Belch is probably taken).
    You can always petition to have your name changed.
    O b i t u s Atrox Clan Enforcer My trade skill? Smackin' stuff till it cries! Obi's Rig
    Unit Memer of S t o r m

Never Forget