Thread: Home Comming

Home Comming

He ran, faster than he ever ran, heart beating so hard it felt it would burst at any moment. He wasn't scared. The terror that filled him was so much closer to madness than merely fear.

And for all his effort, he knew it was still right behind him, waiting for the soldier to turn around for a look. It's warm breath brushed against his neck, the smell of rotten flesh filling his nose. he could infact feel it's hunger, its need to........devour.

It almost had him. Its massive jaws opening, preparing to consume it's prey. But it stopped suddenly, and before Cratty could wonder why, he felt the land under his feet disappear.

Cratty fell forward, tumbling, rolling down the steep hill. He finally stopped as he smashed back first into a massive boulder. Pain filled his body in a way it never had before. It seemed to hurt....his..soul? No, that made no no sense at all. But it sort of did.

God, the soldier was tired, so tired of the running. Tired of this whole foresaken place. It felt like the air itself wanted to kill him. Hated him for being here somehow. Death seemed to follow him ever since he found himself in this strange place, hunting him evey moment.

Cratty looked up wearily, trying to see if it was still there. Despite the fear that told him to close his eyes, not to look, he scanned uphill. For a moment, it wasn't there. For a moment, hope returned to him. But then it re-appeared, jumping atop a fallen tree, then leaping down the hill. It chareged on, its maw opening, revealing countless razor sharp fangs.

And the soldier was filled with despair. To hell with it, he hadn;t the energy to fight anymore, nor did he have the strength to pull himself up and run, the strength to cling on to hope in this hopeless place. Soon it would be upon him, and despite the momentary agony, he would be free.

Yet his mind returned to her, as it always had. Her face...she was so beautiful to him. The memories were foggy, just as were most of his thoughts since he....after he....

What the hell was "here"? How did he get "here"? It was all distorted and hazey. Except....the faces. An older man...his father? No almost but, not, not....And another, one so friendly, so kind.....Sister? But it was....different some way. And then her. His heart wept when he thought of her face.

She was beautiful, her face white and angelic. Yet her eyes seemed.....sad. Why? He couldn't remember a name, and it angered him. But he knew.....he knew he...he loved her. Yearned to hold her......again? Yes, he had! He had held her once at least. And he looked into her eyes and he saw...he saw......what? It was the same thing he felt when he......when they...kissed. Love, yes, yes. He loved.....

"Jenae!" he yelled out, as if professing to this vile place that he remembered.

A flood of rage filled him. They wouldn't stop him, they couldn't. He would find then. He would find her. Death be damned! He lept to his feet and charged it. He was the hunter now.......

Cratty awoke from his sleep, and immeadiately sat up in his chair, Desert Leet in hand as he scanned the dark appartment. He moved the pistol left to right, looking, listening. Finally, assured it was just a dream, he put the weapon back under the pillow. He looked upon her as she slept peacefully in bed. It was good he hadn't waken her. Jenae needed the rest. They needed the rest. The soldier, however, would need some help if he wanted to rest tonight.

Malcom walked into the kitchen, and went to a cabinet. He pulled out a half drak bottle of Hit the Floor Jack and a small shot glass. Queitly, he pulled a chair from the small tabe and sat down. It wasn;t till he had opened the bottle had he relized it was odd that he should remember where a bottle of liquor in his appartment was, when only hours ago, Jenae had to show him where he lived. He played with the thought a moment in his mind, then finally poured a shot and slammed it back.

He thought about the dreams. It seemed as though he had them for years. Yet somehow he knew it started after he.....lost his way. She told him he had been gone for two months. But is seemed longer and shorter two at the same time. But if today was certainly his first day back, how could he have been dreaming so long? Maybe he had the dreams while he was gone. But where had he gone?

THe questions tore at his mind as he tried so hard to remember. But it was still so....faded, like the fleeting memory of a dream that is forgotten shorty after waking up. Just traces.

He pulled out a cigar and lit it. Then as he was about to pour another shot, paused and considered the tiny glass a moment. It was then flung across the table as drank deeply from the bottle itself.

It didn't matter. The dreams, the lost time, the memories that were unexplainably not there. All that mattered was what she told him. He knew inside he had struggled to return home, to be with her. And finally he was. But again, fate stepped in to challenge them once more, to deny them happiness. But no, he hadn;t given up yet. And nor would he now. Nor would he if should have to fight till the end of time. Somethings were worth that much. Jenae was to him.

They could fight this battle together now, at least. THey could find the answers and finally be free, be happy. Or at least spend the little time they had left together.

Malcom slammed back another gulp of wiskey, then puffed his cigar. He would find him. He would beat him untill he told them the answers they needed. He was the hunter now.....

A little more relaxed now, Malcom stubbed out his cigar and went back to the bedroom. He sank back down into his chair and looked upon her a moment. Despite everything, he was happy. He knew that whatever he went through to come home was more difficult than anything he ever faced before. Yet this one moment in time made it all worth it.
    Last edited by Jon Grim; Jan 27th, 2003 at 02:16:51.
    "Jon Grim,Omega News Network, mind if I ask you a few questions?"

"....I dont usually give my comm number out on the first date, Ms. Thorn.......but you did dig that bullet out of my shoulder."

Thumbs up re: Yay!

((A story on the RP board,

nice read, keep it up!))
    Gorgetha
    Priestess of the Unspeakable
    Omni Meta-physicist (RK1 Atlantean)

Fake Wings...

If you are near to the dark
    I will tell you 'bout the sun
    You are here, no escape
    From my visions of the world
    You will cry all alone
    But it does not mean a thing to me...
    - Aura -

I luv sunny days.

(A slight stir in the dark. Someone moving, near her, the presence so strong for a moment, such feelings poured into a single moment of half-awareness... then stopping, simply looking at her, before slowly moving away, silently, careful not to wake her up...)

It's still kinda cold outside, I know... but we had said we'd go to Clon**** again on one of our few holidays, and today ain't worse than any other day. At least we have sun. Heiji likes the waterfall a lot - says it reminds him of some old place seen on holovid, long, long ago, the Kyomizu or something like this. A cliff. Impressive, terrifying. High. Of course he never was on Ol' Earth, but if he likes it, then it's surely worth our lil' place in '****.

I think I'm dreamin', but I ain't sure... It looks.... it feels so real!... The warm sun on my face, so caressing, the chill of the wind singing through the trees branches... I'd surely die if I couldn't see the sun again, and

(Can't I look at the sun? Why....)

I can't wait for the spring to be here again. Spring in the South.... I hate winter. So dark, so cold. So lonely. I hate loneliness! I wanna stay with my friends forever! Forever... I dun wanna be alone 'nymore.

(Another sound. Cristalline, choking sound. Glass against glass, maybe. Someone pouring something in a glass... the presence, again, more diffuse... more discrete?....)

They're coming back with the drinks and food, yeah - I can see 'em, there, from where I'm standin'. Fer Grid's sake, why does Heiji always have to pull such a face whenever someone doesn't move as fast as him! *amused chuckle* Looks like he'd be ready ta kick Malc in the arse if it could make 'im walk faster. I so feel like laughing when looking at 'em. I love 'em so much....

(Slightly shivering in the darkness, a pale, feminine hand reaches for the blanket, sleepily, pulling it closer around the frail body lying in the bed. It feels so cold, so cold, all of a sudden... the dreams... are they coming back, to haunt her, to show her what she so desperately tries to forget? Was it real, this conversation? Is he really here... is he really back... is the nightmare real, has she really did what she...)

No, it ain't a dream! It's reality! Boss finally gave us a day off, and we're in Clon**** ta spend the day, and... and... and they're with meh now. It's so good, simply being here, chatting with 'em, with Heiji's arm around my shoulders. There's this quirky smile on his lips, the one he uses to flash to Malcom, almost a smirk, but not really one. First arrived, first served, run faster next time, m'friend! Oh, yeah, I know. I know this smile, and this look, and the way he's kindly mocking. This's just his way o' being. Malc doesn't mind. They know themselves too much fer this now.

I'm lucky, I think. I'm sitting here, looking at the waterfall, enjoying the pick-nick and the afternoon with the two men I luv. I'm so happy they luv meh too. Feels so good, bein' luved, so good. They even used ta fight fer meh in the beginning, my, was that awful... but now, they're so best friends, I dunno myself how they managed to get on like this in the end. I'm glad they did. Now I can be with 'em both, all the time! It's such a wonderful feelin'.

(Slowly appearing on her pale face, a smile... hesitant, hazy, in a way. Wondering about the dream. Such happiness... is it really for her? Is it something she can afford? So many things had happened, so many terrible news, and now this... the last blow... how could she still look at him after what had happened? Although asleep, she confusely feels his gaze lingering on her silhouette, and old instinct telling her that she's being watched. Yet the shame is too strong. She can't come back... she doesn't have any right to look at him again. And thus, the dream... isn't the dream better?...)

I wonder when Cyrus will be able to come. Malc's just said he had a problem with one o' the bots, we dun really know more. Too bad Raquel can't be here too, poor Sis... so much work ta do. Will keep some cookies fer her, and hope that she can be here tomorrow. I know how she feels though. Saying 'work, work', but she loves her work, huh. I know. I luv it myself. Gave a real meaning to my life... allowed me to work with Malc and Heiji, too... Ain't it perfect? Ain't my life perfect?!....

(A dream, yes. The dream of a happiness she could only try to reach, yet never really found. Happiness ripped from her hands, torn apart, destroyed before she could ever taste it. Happiness is not for her, yet maybe, maybe if she keeps on dreaming... There's this voice in her, too, anxious, worried - can someone dream so long? Shouldn't she come back, and try to live again?...)

I still wonder. This feeling... of having something important to do. Except that I can't remember what. I'll surely remember later. Why do I think of such weird stuff. Why I... Malc's here, right? He ain't disappeared! And Heiji... why do I suddenly feel like he shouldn't be here... dead?... No! He ain't dead! It can't be!....

...Time fer a walk? Aye, sure. Men are all the same... they surely think of findin' somethin' more... interestin' on the way, huh. This's such a lovely day... such a happy day, yeah, even if

(it's too happy, too beautiful to be true. I dun deserve it. I'm gonna wake up, and this stupid world will still be around. I dun wanna look at the world again. I make all my friends unhappy... can't help 'em, never...)

Yeah...Mehbe it's jus' a dream.

But if it's a dream, then I dun wanna wake up.

Never.

Never....

(A very slight sigh. And the dream carries her, again and again... forever.)
    Last edited by Demenzia; Jan 27th, 2003 at 21:50:19.
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

*grins, fire in his eyes* He's back...I havn't been this glad to see a sparta member in some time. You owe me a fight, Malcom.
    Atlantean Soldier.

Director of Obsoleet (@.@)/'

A Perfect Day

Just a perfect day,
    You made me forget myself.
    I thought I was someone else,
    Someone good.

Oh it's such a perfect day,
    I'm glad I spent it with you.
    Oh such a perfect day,
    You just keep me hanging on,
    You just keep me hanging on.
    - Lou Reed -

Ain't it a dream?.... Ain't it an illusion?....

Days are sunny - all the time, all the time, flowing by, each of 'em filled with so many interesting things that I can't believe it's true. But it is, yeah. It's true. People would be so jealous - or mehbe not, cause sometimes it's dangerous, but it's a danger I like. 'May we live in interesting times'. Who said that, still? I can't remember... things sometimes are blurred, as if the older the event, the fader it became... mehbe just the unhappy ones? Cyrus has finished working on this new 'bot of his, though he'll prolly never stop giving his attention to Maru. I like lookin' at 'im when he's workin'. Reminds me of good ol' days. Wish Mom was here, too. I dun remember her well also, but she was so kind, so loving... always so kind to meh! Why did she have to die when I was still a kid?.... Why is it Cyrus who....

(Jen....)

Who's callin' my name? I feel so fine in here, even if I duno where I... No, wait, here's Malcom coming. Said we'd have a beer in Rompa's after work. Heiji will surely come later, once he's finished this job of his, but fer the moment, it's just the both of us. Malc and meh. His lips on mine, kissing, a smile of welcome, such a kind smile... his hand taking mine, with this softness contrasting so much with his seeming, as if he feared ta break meh... hey Malc, dun worry. Ya can't break meh. I'm fine. I'm happy! It's a perfect day again, an' I'm happy ta spend it with ya!

(A low growl, escaping between gritted teeth. Anger. Pain. Sadness. Despair. Why can't he talk to her? Why, why... when it's one of the few things he could do so easily?!....

Sitting in a booth in the back of the bar, curling in his arms... He's talkin' to meh about his day, what happened, how he so wanted tmeh ta be with him, an' I know, cause I was feeling the same... It's over now. We're together again. How could anything separate us, huh? How could anything make meh unhappy when I'm living with such wonderful men like Malc and Heiji? When I'm having the best job, the best friends... when I'm here?

(A faint beeping sound... the need to gather his wits for a few seconds in order to recognize it. A call. The Nano-technician. Ashwell. Something about 2 Holes being under attack. The communication is regularly jammed, and he feels like he should help, yet... yet the strength is lacking. He can't. If he does, he'll snap. He first have to....)

'Bring 'im back here, Chris?" I say, and Bro nods with a smile before getting up and walking to the exit. That was a call on the department comm channel. Malik, coming back ta Rome, so he's gonna meet 'im. People are arriving now. More people, people I met even before workin' fer SPARTA. Trayla, taking her turn fer the evening, hello Tray, long time no seen. There's gonna be a party organized by the Vixen gals again. Aktrez herself will be here, eh, nice woman, I like her a lot. Where are they all? Lazaro, there, poor boy, I feel like teasing 'im again, just ta see how he's gonna respond. Mr Thompon, too. Kiyoko. Edwin. Jo, Raquel, mehbe we'll even see the boss, who knows? And here's Ms. Pierce, doin' her regular inspection o' the evenin' in the bar, as usual... And so many others... I dun like bein' entrenched within habits, but sometimes, some of there are so good ta have. A reminder of what the world's like. Like... sorta... a marker, yeah, that is! Makes the rest feel even more exciting, when ya know that once it's over, ya can be back to yer world.

(...Is it really what you think?...)

What?...

(...Your world... Is this really your world, Jen?...)

Of course it is!

(...Why... why don't you want to come back to me...)

Why would I leave such a perfect world, eh?

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Cages of the Mind

You are here alone again
    In your sweet insanity
    All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
    Do you call it solitude?
    Do you call it liberty?
    When all the world turns away to leave you lonely

The fields are filled with desires
    All voices crying for freedom
    But all in vain they will fade away
    There's only you to answer you, forever

- KAJIURA Yuki,
    The World -

(Kono seikai ni... Watash'tachi no inochi... Watash'tachi no tomodachi... Watash'tachi no ai...!

This is the real life. This is the world we pertain too. This is where we're supposed to live.... So... why aren't we? Why, Jen? Tell me why, love...)

I can't stop looking at 'im. I know... I should better look at my term's visual display, and at the pad under my fingers, but they're anyways moving by themselves - 'outta habit', Adan-sama would say, cause, well, I know how ta do my job. Nuthin' wrong on this side o' the fence, as we say too. Nuthin' wrong. And so, I look at Heiji. He's jus' a lil' older than meh, but sometimes... sometimes I feel he has so much experience. So much, yeah. Look't 'im. Sitting his back against the wall, hands on his deck, casually smiling, as if... simply asleep. Asleep, even if the wires jacked into the NCU at his neck make this thought seem... weird? Aye. I'm the only one to know he ain't. He ain't sleeping; he's hacking, and he's damn good at doin' it, though his field of speciality would rather be, well... cracking. Or ain't it almost the same, in this case?

Semi-state of Phasing - half-looking at what's happening around meh, yet already half-immersed in the Grid. In a few minutes, it'll be my turn. I'm ready. I look't him, at his eyelids slightly twitching from time to time, his handsome face calm and steady, his eyes closed on the visions of the Grid. And I know. In exactly two minutes and thirty-three seconds, I'll send my Wyvern, and all the doors will fall. They're no match against SPARTA hackers. No match. Dat's why he's smirking, huh. He knows it too, my Heiji. Two minutes, fifteen seconds. Progeram's ready. Now I need to...

(You need to come back, Jen. He's waiting for you. I'm waiting for you. We're waiting for you...

...Malcom... can I call you Malcom?... Sure?... I... need your help... Help me, please... help me to bring her back...)

Dat's odd. It feels like Heiji's voice, but... so faint? Why is he calling? He knows it'd be easier ta talk through the Grid, so why... Wait a sec, Jenny. He ain't even talking? Where's this voice coming from? Ain't Heiji... ain't... ain't Malcom... No, Malcom's here. Arriving. Our job's finished, so why ain't Heiji coming back? He can't be trapped... he's too good fer this!... I need to unplug the data-jacks, or he may... may...

Wait, Malcom. We'll kiss later. There's a problem. Dun look't meh with these sad eyes? There's a...

(...You should see it... in a way... it is so cute.... Locked in a dream .... of her own.... And we're all there... you... me... oh can you believe it, we're both there, and I'm alive, and she even... she... we're best friends and all... and... And the whole SPARTA... and all her friends... and Cyrus... all... all...a perfect world... yes, so perfect.....

Don't look at me like this, Malcom. I know I'm not making much sense. I hate admitting it... you know.

Maybe... maybe I should join her? I can't shatter her dream. It would... kill her mind. How can a body live without a mind? That's why I'm here, Malcom... For her to live... But it's too late, too late...)

...I dun understand. The voices are growing stronger. Why... why am I... hearing them? No... they're with meh, now, we're in this room... the job's over... and we're back. A success, yeah. We need to bring the data to Adan-sama, and then... then.... mehbe we can... Why are the vices going on?!... I dun understand jack to what's happening! What are you talking about, damn voices... 'bringing me back'? I dun need ta be 'brought back'! This is my life... why can't I stay here?... I dun wanna listen ta ya Shuddup. Shuddup shuddup shuddup! I wanna kiss 'em. Heiji, and Malcom. Both of them. Cm'ere... I need ya both. This is our world. This is our life!....

(...A nightmare. I don't know what I can do anymore. It's been five days... yes, five days now... I've never seized her body for so long. I can't hold anymore... I can't... but if I lose it, if I lose control... will I ever be able to take it again? I feel so tired... I'll lose it, in the end. Help me. Help me keep my grip on her. If none of us can come back... then she will die!....

I feel like giving up....

'Dont yew dare, pardner. Dont yew dare'. I hear you, Malcom. Damn you Soldier, why do you have to be so kind? How can I hate you if you're... if you... if you....)

Shuddup... voices? Shuddup... I wanna enjoy my life - my happiness! Whatcha talkin' 'bout? I dun wanna go back to anywhere... I dun wanna leave this place! It's my world, here. It's the world where I'm happy! So stop arguing, both of ya... ya sound so much like Malc and Heiji, it's a nightmare.... a nightmare.... Shuddup, I say! Tonight, we're gonna go out. I won't hear the voices if there are folks all 'round us. I wanna have fun. I wanna be with ya'll, forever. Forever. I dun need your stpid 'reality'. I dun need it. I have mine. I'm happy here! I dun need to go back to yer world of shadows. Here's where the sun shines. Here's where we're all happy!

(...Maybe I shouldn't... even try? maybe... at least... she's happy this way!?.....

'Wa both got uh long way uhed uf us, Haiji... But yers is harir cus yew gotta keep her safe uhlong tha way...'

How can I keep her safe... when I can't even bring her back? After fifteen years spent together, I can't even find a way to bring her back? Can't you see it? Can't you? I admire your strength and courage... but I just can't go on... This world... I don't care... I can't care anymore...

'Ahm gonna do evrathang ah kin. Ah swur it, Haiji'

With your help... yes... maybe... I'd hate dying a second time, Soldier. And I don't want to lose her.

Damn... I think... I kind of... begin to... like you too....

Dark... so dark....! Stay with meh, please... both of ya. Dun leave meh alone. Dun leave me all alone outside there. We're gonna be happy together, forever, so stop talkin' of any other place!.... Here's the world where we can luv' each other! Here's the world where yer both alive, where I din't kill all the people I luv! The world full of friends, the world that never, never changes...

Happiness...

Happiness is only here....

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

To take on the slings and arrows of utrageous fortune

The soldier looked upon the woman who was not Jenae with eyes that were not his own.

That is to say, Jenae in body, yet the mind of another. The mind of a man, actually. One he despised once, more than any other man Cratty knew. He was the man that kept Jenae wawy feom him, the one that ensured he would never have her as he had dremt on so many sleepless nights he someday might. Just he and the woman he yearned secretly for. But no. This Heiji, a man somehow forever bound to Jenae in a way Cratty would never be able to fully understand, denied him that which he most longed for.

Or rather, this was the way the soldier felt before. After all the three of them had been through however, Cratty began to understand. And with understanding came the realisation that Heiji was not his enemy. Nor was he some lost wraith that haunted his beloved Jenae.

In life, Cratty observed, this man must have been a great warrior. This won his respect, as Cratty himself knew well the trials and pains of a warrior. In this sence, they shared a bond only soldier's had, a kind of "honor" that trancended the color of the flag you waved.

In death, his soul remained to watch over her, to protect her the best he could. Cratty knew that had it not been for Heiji, Jenae would have perished twice already. And these were only the times he knew of. Certainly, over the long time they had been "united", her gaurdian must have come through for her in many dark hours. Cratty was scincerely greatful for this. Yes, he knew Heiji loved her, and would always be with her. Yet Cratty, knew she loved him as well, and was willing to let him be part of her life. However if the soldier was to accept Jenae's love, he would have to understand. The reward was too great for his to let slip by. Cratty made his heart compassionate, made his mind open. The truth came to him, despite his jealousy. He genuinely liked Heiji, and repected him more than just about any living man or hero from the past. Course, he would be damned if he would ever come out and admit it. Well, maybe after one to many Triple X beers, he might someday, but certainly not sober or in so many words.

Now as for his eyes not being his own........

This was far more complex. Cratty didn't know or couldn't remember what had happened. Yet he knew since his return, his body was changing. He knew something was wrong with him, terribly wrong. The soldier began piecing the puzzle slowly together and he formed some conclusions. The first was, he had been having vivid dreams, terribly realistic and horrible dreams, since he awoke in Omni 1, nor had he any clue how he got there. Secondly,as revieled to him in his reoccuring "nightmares", he killed Dolph Tedder, the man who was like an adoptive father to him. He couldn't for the life of him remember the reason why, either.. Third, his best friend, Mack, was dead and he wasn't sure if he had murdered him as well, though he reasoned he probably had. Finally, he admitted to himself that there was indeed something inside him, something vile, something filthy, yet somehow......exillerating in it's own perversion. It gnawed at him from the inside out, changing his body, toying with his mind. His heart warned him he had to resist, yet his resolve weakened with each passing day, with each frieghteningly realistic nightmare.

Through the eyes he used to gaze upon her, or rather the body that held Jenae and Heiji, she was stunning. She wore no cosmetics, and her eyes were so sad. But these eyes seemed to take everything that was beautiful about her, about him even, and reflect it all around her, all at once. And the shadow. The darkness caressed her face in a way the soldier had never before seen shadow enhace an imag. It was impossible to explain any better than that, were he asked to. Essentially, despite her expression so sad, and the poor illumination of the dimly lit appartment, she seemed.....angelic.

Cratty finally snapped himself out of his daze. Later, he could marvel at her beauty, admire each perfect feature of her face. Now, however he had a job to do. Or, at least, a job to "try" to do.

Heiji, as strong and dedicated as he was, was begining to weaken. The signs were showing. Jenae's body was begining to spasm, her own muscles resisting the fading neural responces of her exhausted gaurdian. Jenae, he told Cratty, was unresponsive to his calls. She had locked herself in a peaceful dream, a place she was happy. Soon Heiji would not be strong enough to keep the body alive. Time for the both of them was running out.

And Cratty was asked to help. He had no idea what to do. Heiji told him he must try to call her back. Yet what call could possibly be stonger than the link she and the gaurdian shared. But Cratty would not give up, not on Jenae, not ever. And as Heiji once pointed out to him, Malcom James Cratty could be a bit "cocky" at times. So the soldier prayed to whatever god might be listening that his "great idea" would work. All the while, never letting his fear or doubt show on his face. He hoped his act was convincing for he guessed that if it were to work, gaurdian and ward must believe it would as well.

The soldier dropped his trenchcoat to the floor, and looked at Heiji/Jenae. Smootly, he removed the sunglasses he'd been wearing. Awkwardly he cleared his throat.

"Heiji", Cratty said, as he cracked his neck to the right, his nervous habit.

"Yes, Malcom?" the gaurdian answered.

"Ah hope fer yer sake this werks, parner,"

"I do too, Mal....." Haiji started,

"Cause if'n it don," Cratty inturupted, grinning impishly "yer gonna have uh mouthful uh drool"

Cratty saw the confusion and also the split second of disgust flash across the face the gaurdian. The soldier moved so quickly now, too quickly for the weakened body to react. As he lifted her chin up gently and moved his mouth in to kiss her lips, he hoped with all his soul this would work. That his concieted act was convincing enough. That this idea that seemed so prideful would do the trick. If it hadn't, he would not have any idea what he could possible attempt next.

As he kissed her, deeply, passionately, the body resisted. Haiji was, after all, a man. Cratty felt equally as akward, but he continued anyway. Kissing with every ounce of desire in his body, reaching out to her with his love. Calling. Screaming her name out with the fire that burned for her in his heart.

Jenae.........Jenae please...........

And after what seemed like an eternity to Cratty, she seemed to stop resisting, Almost as if she......yes! She was embrassing him back, faintly returning his kiss, finally fully kissing him back.

Jenae was back. Haiji, Malcom hoped, would be able to rest a bit. He had done so much to keep her alive and was probably quite worse for the wear. It must have taken everything he had to keep her going.

Cratty looked at her as he held her in his arms. She seemed weary, as if still half asleep. As she spoke, she seemed to have been awaken from a dream far too pleasant, far too perfect.

"Yer still alive......" she said, still not fully awake,

"Yes, Darlin, yew dint get muh sick. Ahm fine, babie" Cratty reassured her. At least the part was true.

"Ah don't wonna be hear, ah wonna go back", Jenae protested tearfully

"Yew caint, Darlin, that place yew wus is whur tha ded go. It aint reel."

It took her a few minutes to wake completely. And Cratty sympathized. Five days of paradise.......Then only to be pulled back to this hell of a reality. He hoped to himself that one day, he could be her paradise, her shelter in the storm, her light that devoured her darkness. Yet, for the moment, he could more than be happy that she was back, and he was with her.

She still looked tired, exhausted. Being torn from a place that knew no sorrow, no sadness, no pain to Rubi-Ka must have been a long fall indeed. He slid off her jacket and lifted her gently in his arms, carring her to his bed. Sofly he lay her down, and then crawled in beside her. Happily, lovingly he held her in his arms.

Their future was dark. True, a light did indeed shine at the end of the tunnel. Cratty knew there always was a light there. But this one seemed so far, so dim.

But such grim thoughts would hold till later. Tonight, they had each other. Tonight, Cratty found his fleeting paradise.
    "Jon Grim,Omega News Network, mind if I ask you a few questions?"

"....I dont usually give my comm number out on the first date, Ms. Thorn.......but you did dig that bullet out of my shoulder."

Ima, soko ni iru atashi....

Here, alone with my fears
    If only I could leave this night behind, and love life again
    If only I could turn the time, and turn back the tide...
    Imagining, loosing what's real
    How I would have needed you to be here by my side
    We tore out all emotion, and I'm left with the pain
    Come, step through my head again
    And show me where I stand
    I need the aim to guide me, leave the time that made the agony burn
    Lift me up again...

- Anekdoten,
    Here -

She was so happy... so happy, yes... so why, why this terrible feeling, why this darkness creeping around her, more and more? Malcom was with her, but Heiji... she was staring at him now, staring at his slim but muscular body, made for speed and agility, at his slight and sad smile, at his deep black eyes, always so shining with their inner fire. And he was staring back, holding her hands between his, as if for a last embrace, a last farewell. Sayoonara, Jen-chan. You know that I can't stay...

She didn't understand. Why had he to leave, when they were all so happy? Why wasn't Malcom trying to persuade him... why wasn't he telling him to stay, too? She couldn't understand anymore. Her world was crumbling, all around her... crumbling, letting darkness surround her, more and more quickly. And there was this sheer certainty in her heart. Heiji was going to die. Or maybe... maybe he was already dead? How could be... what was the reason to this? It was as if there wasn't any other choice, as if he was... accepting death. ...Yer... alive...! No.... Can't be... can't be dead!... Nooo!.....

I can't stay, hun. Don't you remember? I'm already dead. But I'm still here. I'll be with you as long as you need me to, Jenny. Come back, please...

'Come back'... to where? The darkness enclosed her a little more, as his presence was slowly fading from her, leaving her alone... Alone? Not completely. There was something else... someone else... a soft warmth slowly piercing the deep cold - strong arms tenderly holding her, closely, so closely, shielding her... loving her? It was... feeling like Malcom. But I killed 'im! Like Malcom and his love. But I condemned 'im! Like Malcom, the Malcom she knew so well, his kind smile, his warm embrace. But he hates meh, he must surely hate meh... after what I did to 'im!...

Darlin, come back ta muh... Ah need yew... Ah love yew Jen!....

It was looking... feeling like a nightmare. Being pulled from a happy dream, only to be returned to a place she loathed. She wanted to sleep some more, to go on dreaming... ready to beg for a few more minutes, for being allowed to stay in the orever sunny world... You stupid, dirty brat! How many times did I tell you not to steal food? Damn you girl! What did I do to have such a filthy... 'daughter'?! The memory hit her with all the violence from a long denied sadness, and she let out a small yelp of terror and pain, as Mommy was slapping her hard in the face, again and again, forcing her to cower back into the darkness, vanly shielding her head with her thin arms. It was a nightmare! Mommy couldn't be so... so... so cold and nasty and sad and angry and...! ...?.... No... No?.... Dun hit meh... please... mommy... dun hit meh!... I'll be kind!... I promise!...... Dun hit meeeeh!.....

But it was reality. It was her reality, the one where she was forced back, along with all the ugly memories. The one where she was so desperate, the one where all her friends were dying, one after the other, where Heiji was dead for years, where Malcom was surely dieing because of her, where her whole persona had been stripped of its fragile balance, only to leave her even more lost than she had ever been. She didn't want to come back... she simply couldn't! It was driving her mad... making her feel like dieing... so wy, why wasn't she allowed to stay where she could be happy forever?...

Baby, its Muh. It's Malcom... ah aint gonna hurt yew, nor let nahwon hurt yew...

Nothing more than a nightmare.... ...Why ya all leaving?!... I won't... won't do it again!... I promise! ...Dun hit meh... pleaaaaase..... Please... I... dun... wanna... come... back...... But he was holding her even more strongly now - holding her close, caressing her hair, tenderly kissing her... caring and kind and loving. She could feel it, through the veil of dreams. His love... his need for her to come back... and the thought slowly rose in her. Did she had the right to leave him alone? Did she have the right to escape in the happy world of dreams, when he was waiting for her, outside... waiting for her to walk the path with him, to be with him... all that simply? Jen. Jen, listen to me... Jen-chan, we both need you... we both love you... Remember? Heiji's voice, again, weaker than before, yet still determined. Heiji... What did I... do to ya? ..Heiji... Malcom.... come back... dun leave meh... I beg ya.... nooooo.... dun leave meh alone!....

She was aware of a sound - her own wail of sadness, convulsive sobs escaping her trembling lips. Yet he was still withher. He hadn't abandoned her. None of them had... ..Can't I stay... jus' a lil' more?.....

He shook his head. She could perceive his moves, even if her eyes were still closed. Halfway between the world of humans, and the world of dreams, slowly curling into a ball of pain and sadness, trying to take shelter between his strong arms. Its time ta come back, Jen, yew caint stay thur nahmore... Yew gotta hang ohn... Come back ta muh darlin...

Why was he so kind? Why did he love someone like her... a pitiful being like her? ...But I ain't happy.... Just a pathetic moan from a child crying in vain. She knew that she couldn't stay. She knew that both Malcom and Heiji wanted her back. It was just... so hard to go on living. His words were going on reaching her, soft, caressing, kind... Jen, muh sickness came frum sumwhur else. Ya dint make muh sick. It wurnt yew. Not her... wasn't there a single thing she had done, that hadn't attracted death or misfortune on her beloved ones? His hand, on her head, his fingers gently brushing thrugh her long hair... It was feeling so good, to be in his arms.... And she could hear them, however unable to prevent them from escaping her lips... the words of sadness, a desperate litany she couldn't stop... Heiji... promise... he's here?.....Promise... Malcom's... here? ...Dun wanna dump meh?....I'm a dirty lil' gal... I'm dirty... dirty brat... Mommy always said... dirty brat... dirty... stupid, dirty brat.... Tears, more tears, more crying, and she couldn't stop it either. It had always been so cold, so dark, at that time. Loneliness. The lack of love, when all she wanted was a kind look from her own mother. The lack of humanity in her life, all hopes then ripped from her with Heiji's death and Cyrus' disappearance... going on, because it was the way things were, going on because she was with him, her ghostly mind-lover, going on because they loved each other, yet... ...Dirty brat, yes, yes... can someone... love meh?......... Happiness... not fer meh... I know.... but... but....Wanted to hope... Wanted to believe... in it.... so much.....

Resting in his arms. Resting in his arms was all she wanted in this very moment, not paying attention to where they were, nor when he lifted her, so easily, to carry her to the bed. ...Allow meh to stay... please?.......Please?...... And she opened her eyes to look at him, at his rough but handsome features, at his shiny eyes, so full of sincere love. Shame rolled over her, tears, sadness, shame again. What had she done? Where had she been? Slept... so long? Four days? Five? How could... how had she onyl dared to leave him like this? And he wouldn't even be angry against her! "...It was... beautiful... but... but it wasn't... reality... yes?......Wasn't... reality....? ...Couldn't stay... yes?... Cause... it ain't... 'reality'?....."

"No darlin. Its whur the dead stay. It wurnt real."

And where was he... where was Heiji? She was so used to hear his mental voice, and now... now...

"He's here. He's jus reel tired... had to look ovir yew while yew wus sleepin."

The realization hit her, once again. It was enough. She couldn't... go on like this, making them suffer. But sleep, dreams... death... wouldn't change anything. She had walked her own way for so long... she couldn't allow herself to give up now? Not now. Not when there still was so much to do, so many people that needed her... knowledge, that was it. Knowledge. She was gifted with two memories - three, even - and two lifestreams to support her. She hadn't any right to abandon this behind her, nor abandon those who loved her. Thinking was tiring - how come she could stupidly sleep for so long, and feel even more tired than before? Something was wrong, something her oddly functioning mind couldn't understand, a concept it couldn't grasp in its present state... yet in the depths of her conscience, as she was feeling herself drifting again, something snapped. Something that looked like... a formula? An algorithm? A scheme? Words and ciphers - alltogether. Heiji's faint presence, the warmth of Malcom's body pressed against hers. She was seeing someting... something that was important. Something that would help them, the both, the three of them. Something she needed to do, soon, quickly, before it was too late.

Go back ta work, ya stupid gal. Ya already slept too much. Time ta help 'im now...

And for the first time in many days, a faint yet sincere smile appeared on her lips.
    Last edited by Demenzia; Feb 7th, 2003 at 22:08:23.

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --