Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tokens, the once nice feature, but got no reason now

Angry tokenboard

OY.

One thing i forgot to say.

Im lvl 112 agent so i dont mind that on of the skills that a 1000 tokenboard add is concealment. =)

BUT. =(

Why should some professions get more out of a 1000 tokenboard than others.

If u play a enforcer, i bet u wont jump furious around getting +140(i think) in concealment, so this also needs adjustment, i think..

The board should add to skills we all use..
    We can all use hp and nano and the comp litt adds, so thats fine as it is...

My take on tokens....

I don't think you should be able to get a 1000 token board in 3 months of play (ignoring all the exploits that were done in the past).

If some idiot wants to token farm at level 6, and do that all day, fine. Let em. How boring.

Tokens are harder to get at higher levels. True. I spent 3 hours on a mission last night to finish and get the token. I'm level 110 with 140 tokens.

I think the balance is pretty good to be honest. If people are doing a fair number of missions, they generally get fair amounts of cash and loot, and their character tends to be stronger. However, time spent in missions soloing for tokens means slower character advancement. On the other hand, some people are out hunting, doing the power level thing. Power levelers tend to get weak as their level increases without concomittant increases in weapons, armor, etc. So, having powerleveled, they now have trouble completing missions, and accepting tokens. Again it comes to risk/reward, power levels get the advances of level, but not the benefits of slower advance with token board benefits.

As to the token boards themselves, gosh, if I ever get a 250 token board I'll be amazed. At best I can do about 2 tokens per day (1 mission per day is about all I can handle, unless I luck out and get a small cave). But keeping the tokens hard to get helps keep some balance in the game, otherwise, people could powerlevel willy nilly and the high level bored character situation would only get worse.

Team tokens. I like that idea, but if done the missions should not be rehases of solo missions but be a real challenge for a 6 person group.

Thumbs up

Bump to original post.

Re: Re: 1000 token board

Originally posted by MSag

You are wrong. Its very possible to get the 1000board now. Here is how easy it is to get 3tokens per hour for me at 141 as omni:

Fly to avalon, get 3 missions in frisko grainkurt of frisko wastes. Grid to clon****, do them (takes 30min for all 3 generally, this yields small blue cave missions). Fly back get 3 more. If I would get 4 tokens per mission at 100+ I could do the 1000board in 9days that way if I played 10hours per day.

Can you ppl now stop claiming its impossible and instead work for your boards if you want them?

and what about the professions who cannot solo green mobs at that level?

bump to implement team missions awarding a token to all in the team.
    Last edited by Ejeckted; Feb 6th, 2002 at 05:26:21.

Yeah I'll agree on that all professions should be able to solo. The box I bought the game in stated solo as a way to play. But that is more a profession balance issue IMO. I also have the impression that for many it doesnt get harder as you get higher above 100, in fact it might even become easier. In fact I think the extra ip you get at 100+ and 150+ makes it easier for many, you get to catch up in other important skills than those you maxed before. At 70-90 for instance I had a ton of skills that werent high and that was the period i struggled most.

Thumbs up Tokens

In the future, we plan for some tokens to reward you with more than one "token point" when you click on them. However, already in the next patch you'll have an increased chance of finding "normal" tokens. We'll leave it to you to find out where

Talking

Noooo I cant take the suspense.

At least give us a clue as to where we are going to see tokens, dropped from mobs maybe?

You dont thave to tell us which ones, but just give us a cryptic clue or somethin

Ah, just to play the devil's advocate here, since AO is supposed to have a four year storyline, it might be that Funcom originally intended the token boards to be rewards for those players who chose to stick with AO over the long haul (the people who, in about two years time playing AO, would be the true veterans of the game).

With a four year storyline, I don't see why some folks are so hot in the pants to get their 1000 token board after only a few months of play. It is true that we live in an instant gratification society.

I agree with the team missions fix though...

Arrow 1000 Token board > 5 weeks farming at lvl 6

just boring to wait title caps to upgrade it

Man listen to some of you guys. I want cool powerful game mechanic rewards for getting tokens but I don't want to actually do the missions because, um, they are HARD.

68 agent 220 tokens
    62 enf 122 tokens
    67 NT 121 tokens
    42 engi 73 tokens

If you go off and camp spawns for 50 levels and suddenly you don't have any tokens, who do you have to blame for it? Funcom should have capped token collection at the get go, you can't collect more tokens than you have levels for. The level 6 guy getting 1000 tokens is like giving a private in the US Army a Congressional Medal of Honor (the very highest award for military service) for cleaning 1000 toilets.

"The level 6 guy getting 1000 tokens is like giving a private in the US Army a Congressional Medal of Honor (the very highest award for military service) for cleaning 1000 toilets."

Haha, right on. Thats classic. The one thing thats pretty indisputeable here I think is the no getting tokens past your title level req. If you're title level 2 you shouldnt be able to get tokens past the best title level 2 req board.

Takes a bit of planning but..

..getting the 1000 token board should be possible for a one hour a day player to get in a year. I really have to agree with MSag when he argues for the little caves in Clon****. Get missions in Clon****, equip your yalm and u are well back from three missions within the hour. If you opt to play more than one hour pr day - that would of course mean a faster completion.

Now u may call this boring - and it is, but it is clearly a way to keep players a while longer in the game while nothing actually happends storywise.

And with a 4 year storyline - why do u absolutely need a game that gives u this nice item in a months time - i dont get it

Hell I have a MA level 82 with 290 tokens running 50% missions in Clon**** (not /terminating by the way) - after what I have heard I will hit trouble with minimum damage at this point, but I am still gonna play this character for one hour a day. Eventually I will have my 1k token board.

Well good luck to y'all anyway. I just dont think dev. team should ajust the system just because some of u want easier access to the board.

It's been mentioned that teams should get tokens when they clear a mission. I disagree, if it's a SOLO mission. Only award items and tokens to all party members in a TEAM mission. Simple eh? That should cut down six people clearing six different missions, teaming and getting tokens they had no part in earning. Just bumb up the diffcultly in team missions to keep up risk vs. reward. And for heavens sake, base the diffcultly off the SIZE of the team ie a two person team should not have the same diffcultly mobs a six person team would get as well.
    Perfection breeds weakness.

Obergeist-Burning bright, Above the head ghost

Mdgprogram-Fearful symmetry <---beat the every lovin' crap out of a level 60 soldier at 49

Stronger, better, faster, push it

The Troll Corps want you!tm
    General in the Troll Corps tm

Originally posted by Obergeist
    It's been mentioned that teams should get tokens when they clear a mission. I disagree, if it's a SOLO mission. Only award items and tokens to all party members in a TEAM mission. Simple eh? That should cut down six people clearing six different missions, teaming and getting tokens they had no part in earning. Just bumb up the diffcultly in team missions to keep up risk vs. reward. And for heavens sake, base the diffcultly off the SIZE of the team ie a two person team should not have the same diffcultly mobs a six person team would get as well.

Your idea of a problem is moronically stupid. It's dangerous to do a mission solo and the rewards are less than what six people could do in one mission at a time. It would be such a pain to do what your talking about that nobody would actually do it. More than one QL shift to the right of 50% and I have about an 80% chance of being unable to complete the mission at my level... and im one of those "uber" MP's.

Talking tokenboard

yo yo yo....

A reply to Wonton....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    U said:
    I think the balance is pretty good to be honest. If people are doing a fair number of missions, they generally get fair amounts of cash and loot, and their character tends to be stronger. However, time spent in missions soloing for tokens means slower character advancement. On the other hand, some people are out hunting, doing the power level thing. Power levelers tend to get weak as their level increases without concomittant increases in weapons, armor, etc. So, having powerleveled, they now have trouble completing missions, and accepting tokens. Again it comes to risk/reward, power levels get the advances of level, but not the benefits of slower advance with token board benefits.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The balance isnt that good. Its tru that powerlevelers tend to loose some strength when leveling that fast, but thats not an issue when u can get u 1000 tokens at lvl 6, and then start powerleveling.......

And once again, coming to ya hyper, donald D the syndicate snipper.. oh sorry.

And once again, i would like some comments on the 1000 tokenboards add to concealment....

Why to concealmant, only people using aimmed shot will benefit from that..

So is it fair to ´give some proffs more advantage than others..

The same goes for the Nano Programing add...

How manny proffs need a add to nanoprograming ??????????????

1000 token board should only add to skills we all can use...

=) What u guys think am i madman or does this sound fair =)

Hey how do u do that highlight thingy of text u are replying to ???
    Last edited by Dangereoz; Feb 6th, 2002 at 16:14:12.

Giving a token to each member of a team in a team mission would probably have the effect of annihiliting a high level character's incentive to level up in the outdoors. I morally support the idea, but the effect it would have on the game world might not be a good thing.

You might as well remove all the spawn camps for how often they would be used. Too many high level characters stay in-doors as it is now. At least back when you could fight medusas in Deep Artery Valley you had the off-chance of running into an opposite aligned party and a battle would ensue. This was a good thing, because that is what this game is about IMO, the higher level you are, the incentives for advancing your character should lead you into conflict with the opposite faction; or else there is no way to move the story forward in a player driven way.

If risk vs. reward is an issue, a change like that would drive a huge portion of the player base into missions. When a newb first joins the game he will be greeted by an empty city, not a thriving population.

As it stands now, Funcom has to contrive an event in Sabuluum in order to get the playerbase to participate in the storyline. If the incentives were reworked, players should be drawn into conflict as a natural progression. Then, events and battles would flow as a matter of course spontaneously.

Before the medusa nerf, I remember leveling in DAV and if a clan team was spotted, omni guilds like the Dark Carnival would spontaneously assemble teams to search and destroy. Funcom didnt have to lift a finger, but these were the kinds of organic interactions the players would develop on their own.

I dont know what the fix is, but team tokens probably shouldn't be it.

As long as missions are being discussed, it would be nice to see misssions in Rome, Omni-1, Athens, Tir again would probably do a lot to make the player population more visible.
    Last edited by Psiraven; Feb 6th, 2002 at 16:27:01.

To Dangerouz....Hmm, I think the balance is fair. If some guy takes the time to do 1000 missions at level 6, terminating, and then doing the powerlevel thing....fine....Its one strategy one could pursue, and while maybe it isn't totally fair at the higher levels, if somebody is that serious about the game they should get some reward for it.

I could see some team missions being outdoors only-say wipe out all Omni in PW....hehe...for higher level teams. That would take a while, and certainly would be worth a token or 2!!

Tetra

I'm under the hopes that the mobs will be toned down by the time they get around to fiddling with tokens. As is, the mobs are bad enough. I'm simply stating replying to a question that was brought up earlier that six people solo a mission, but don't clear the objective, then team and get six tokens at little risk. Besides the green goo river has been axed in the latest patch (so I've read) so you "uber" MPs shouldn't have pet pathing problems. Christ almighty... team missions should be harder. That should be a damn given. While they're implentmenting team missions, they should tone down solo missions, thus, easier, but not nearly as much gain. Fair enough?
    Perfection breeds weakness.

Obergeist-Burning bright, Above the head ghost

Mdgprogram-Fearful symmetry <---beat the every lovin' crap out of a level 60 soldier at 49

Stronger, better, faster, push it

The Troll Corps want you!tm
    General in the Troll Corps tm

Nice to see the last patch nerfed the small cave missions. The only efficient way tokens could be earned. Anyone seen anything of the "new way" of earning tokens?

Originally posted by Obergeist
    Tetra

Besides the green goo river has been axed in the latest patch (so I've read) so you "uber" MPs shouldn't have pet pathing problems.
    Actually i've only had that mission like 2 maybe 3 times ever, perhaps it's the settings I use on the terminal, perhaps the places i take missions. It's really not that big of a deal to me anyways though, after the fun and exciting pet pathing of things like EQ what we have here is godly efficiency. The fact that with shades, nelebs, ql140 pet centric implants, etc my pet is barely orange to me and will easily be yellow before i get my next barely orange pet is the problem.

Low level MP's are powerful, as they level though the rate at which mobs scale and the rate at which they/their pets they use scales does not hold up. Pathing doesnt come into the equasion at all except for an extra handful of nanorechargers in a mission.

Also while im the first to admit I only spent about 20 min playing with the mission terminals the locations looked to be annoying trips like this
    Central artery valley
    Central artery valley
    Longest road
    Upper stret east bank
    Central artery valley

Central artery valley
    Deep artery valley
    Central artery valley
    Upper stret east bank
    Central artery valley

Upper stret east bank
    Longest road
    Upper stret east bank
    Central artery valley
    Upper stret east bank

Central artery valley
    agean
    Central artery valley
    Longest road
    Deep artery valley

Longest road
    Nano cannyon (AKA longest road)
    Longest road
    Broken Shores
    Central Artery valley.

It took me about 150 missions to find 1 broken shores missions, I saw a couple for varmint woods but those also seemed rare, i saw no clon**** missions, broken shores missions seem to be almost nonexistant, mort seemed to be nonexistant, perpetual wastes seemed to be nonexistant, SFP seemed to be nonexistant. So basically if I dont like traveling 10 minutes from newland, 4 holes, 2ho for the upper stret/varmint woods type missions. Or gridding to a clan city for longest road (i'm not even sure if it's *possible* to fly to longest road), or grid to newland>whompa to clan held athens>whompa to clan held avalon.... your stuck with artery vallies missions which IME have a 90% chance of a mob that hits for about 1/2-3/4 of your life standing within aggro range of the exit.
    Last edited by Tetra; Feb 7th, 2002 at 09:17:01.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast