Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why you picked your side

I chose omni because everybody I know who played was like "hey.....omni.....cool, be omni. I'm omni" so I was like "alright, hi omni"
    /tell Numeric

--:o IS NOT .
    [Khaln]: it's teh small and soft
    [Khaln]: BUT
    [Khaln]: I need teh large and hard

I seem to remember a lesson I was taught years before I was implanted into this 'trox body. Was back on earth in those days and I was young. My prof was expounding on the different types of government and that all it really boiled down to was a balance of order and freedom. And that you can NOT have freedom without order, this is why I chose Omni.

Barbaresque sits back and thinks carefully about his next words

It's just darn silly to think that a lawless clan based system will ever work in the long term. You people can't even keep neutrals safe in your cities.

I think that just about covers that...oh wait. There is one other reason I chose Omni. They said they would be my friend!

huggles Omni Tek

.....I really need my non-RP forum back
    /tell Numeric

--:o IS NOT .
    [Khaln]: it's teh small and soft
    [Khaln]: BUT
    [Khaln]: I need teh large and hard

*sigh*
    Perhaps if you could see past the present you could see what we are trying to build. I have personally had a dream of a ordered, democratic RubiKa for years and now, with help, we are setting the first steps, though they are small, into motion.

And if you think we have no love for the neutrals, check my "The Sentinels" discussion. It should show you that we do indeed care for our fellow non-employees.
    Bliqz: "anything Uwen says is a vicious and ugly lie"

((Completely OOC here, it's 7 am and I don't feel like writing an IC novel in my oh-so-damn-hard-to-understand 'accent' right now... :/

From a player point of view, I chose Omni for several reason... first of them being that my boyfriend, who was playing at the time, enjoyed the echnological side better than the Clans. Me being a total n00b at AO - man, this was back in October 2001, damn! - I followed. Then end of 7 days trial, back to school and RL and other stuff, buh-bye RK-2.

End of April 2002, we both come back to AO, this time with a little more insight on the game. I still decide to stay Omni, for after having played the 'punk for more than 3 days in Cyberpunk table-top RPG, I feel like, for once, embracing the Evil Corporation (tm) side. Tried several professions before sticking with my dear little Fixer. And then, as I had this really weird Netrunner and other RP ideas in my head, what else than choosing the technological side... the one with the better equipment, the one where, from a Fixer point of view, well... being good at one's job is a thing, being good with good equipment is even better, huh ^_^

This was the real beginning of my RP involvment in this game, because it was then no more a question of game mechanics. Jen is working for OT because

1) It gives her access to vast amount of info, and one of her goals being to search and find for a certain someone that has gone completely MIA, what better than adding this element to her chances of success (or non-success, depends).

2) Coroporation being 'evil'? They gave her well-paid jobs, then she got an even better job that she loves to the point of certainly not wanting to leave it, she found friends in there, amongst these so-called 'evil people'... OT s a mega-corp, sometimes they don't do very pretty things, but generally speaking, they do their job, they are 'normal' people doing their jobs, and Jen doesn't feel like they're prisoners of their affliliation or whatever.

3) She was working for OT before her death already, that sure leaves a few 'sequels'

4) A certain psychological reason too, for she keeps very, very bad memories of the first attacks led on OT territory by the Dusters, when she lost many friends and, so to say, her only family. To her at that time, 'Dusters' were 'Clanners', and nothing else... and thus, she certainly wouldn't embrace the Clans' ideals, that seem nothing more than terrorism to her eyes. This also made her realize that all in all, she cared for the corporation she was born in, even if her first years in it weren't that good... that she cared for its towns, for the people living in it... and she doesn't want to abandon it just because some other people claim 'OT is evil, fight for freedom with us!'.

5) OT has goals. OT is building, even if building means terraforming first. And in spite of the seemings, Jen is someone who desperately needs a goal in her life. OT is goal. OT is security.

Okay, and now 'Demy' is gonna grab something to eat and stop the novels, or she'll be late at work

Oh crap, and I *wrote* a novel again... bah!))
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Originally posted by Uwen
    *sigh*
    Perhaps if you could see past the present you could see what we are trying to build. I have personally had a dream of a ordered, democratic RubiKa for years and now, with help, we are setting the first steps, though they are small, into motion.

That's not my point friend. I've got nothing against clanners individually, my beef is that they're ignoring history as a whole. Not Rubi Ka history, but all of it. A revolution has to be fast! If it drags on and on it gets into yer skin. It's gets to be part of you. Sure your small steps are admirable and may be in the right direction, but what happens if you get what you want? There will always be other clans who don't like it. Another group just like the Sentinals or even somethink like the Dust Brigade will show up and spoil yer milk.

Forget the term good... forget the term evil, simply because these things dont really exists. Omni as an whole can be described as selfish, but is selfish an bad thing when your in charge of billions of people? Omni must profit, Omni must flourish in order to provide for the people who work for them.

Omni has laws, order and justice (even though not even close to strict enough).

OOC: Now dont bring in some quote from what the designers have said about shadowlands, Im talking about things ive seen and read on the time line, not what will happend in the future. Ive seen nothing that proves Omni-Tek as 'evil'.

Omni-Tek terraformed Rubi-Ka, made it hospitable and provide for people who live there.

Omni-Tek set up transport routes across the entire planet.

Omni-Tek has insured that life is eternal for those who stay on Rubi-Ka. (Not counting accidents and sabotages.)

Omni-Tek has implanted an full wildlife on Rubi-Ka, birds, trees, etc. etc.

Omni-Tek has brought life up to an new standard and has made things alot better for all of us...

The clans are fighting for the freedom they already have... Omni lets the clans have land up north but still they fight... They shared insurance technology with the clans, still they fight... They offered an amnesty in our darkest hour and still they fight on...

Omni-Tek is not evil, nor is it good, it is an company that cares for its employees and have made the world an better place in some aspects, at the price of profit.
    "Yesterday we bowed before kings and bent our necks to emperors, today we kneel only before truth"

lilnymph started off Omni, because her parents where omni, and that was where she grew up. She changed to clan when she had a little "disagreement" with Omni-Pol over the finer points of corporate law, and decided it might be time for a change of scenery

Hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

/ooc

Being Omni is just a job, it does not define your character. You don't even have to like OT to live and work in Omni-1 or Rome. Sure if you are in the military the clan situation is a big deal, but for the rest the "troubles in the North" are a fairly distant thing.

I felt a lot more threatened when The Blackhand and its copycat orgs started killing OT guards in Omni Ent then by any clan incursion in 2HO. And by the same token, I am as just as likely to talk about the 'clan situation' with friends as I am about about the last Galway Bronto's game, Sol Bank's share price or a recent visit to the "Avec Leet" art gallery.

Being Clan, and I am sure many of you will disagree, for me implies being part of a cause and is much more of a political statement. That can lead to good roleplaying too, but I think you have more freedom defining your own role as Omni.

I like neutrals. Dabz started neutral but for practical, ooc reasons it made more sense to make RUR an OT org. *sigh*
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

My 2 cents

MERRYMAN'S BACKSTORY

Quinn Honer was born and raised in a family loyal to Omni-Tek. Even when his family was shattered, demoted and humiliated by being forced to live in the Slums of Omni-1, his family still bought the propoganda.

But they did not stay there. When Quinn reached his late teens, his family's fortunes turned once again, and his mother and sister reached quite good positions within Omni Reform and Omni Admin.
    Quinn stayed in the Slums...

...and let us be honest, he liked the lifestyle of the slums, with the stim addicts and the no-hopers. He began to build up his own little empire in the underworld, till he overstretched himself. Then he looked for work as an investigator, eventually finding employment with Division 1 (SPARTA).

SPARTA has given him respect and a raise in his standard of living (if he ever saved and not poured it all into drink... but that is another story). His loyalty to the Company has grown recently because of the murder of his mother...

In all, he believes in order. Frankly, he views the Clans as ungrateful louts at worst, and people just trying to work a better deal for themselves, working around Corporate. Add to that the redneck view that "they" are just criminals, and "he" actually has a job with some "legitimacy" and there you have it...

CONTRAST THIS...

EARTHCHILD (Rimor)

Gloria Washko was not born the rabid Omni hating person she is. That is down to her father, who had reasons of his own to make his daughter a weapon to be used against the Company.
    Essentially, he wanted at least one of his children to do the fighting he could not (including clear his conscience to turning on his old employers).

Gloria was fed anti omni propoganda all her life. Further, her training as a Martial Artist added a mystical dimension to her views: she belives Omni-Tek is a pawn of some mystical entity that seeks to enslave humanity. And she is willing to fight to the death to remove it from her home!

I have no problems with anyone who choses to be an employee of Omni-Tek. Nor do I have a problem with those who wish to align themselves with the rag-tag bunch of chaotic rebels known collectively as "The Clans".
    But both of your governing bodies are disfunctional and will ultimately cease to exist on Rubi-ka.

Rubki-ka is now an independant and functioning ecosystem, that stands autonomously and independantly from these forces.
    Anything that harms her, I will fight against. Those who help the ecosystem, will be my friend.

I am neutral.
    ======================

blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

Im currently clan, it seems easier for me to level up as a clanner, then an OTer

I play all 3 afflictions though
    "It's your life. Keep it up! Keep it real!"

Originally posted by Arila
    Im currently clan, it seems easier for me to level up as a clanner, then an OTer
    ((OOC: My god girl, why are you in the RP forum then ? ))
    ======================

blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

OOC

The reason I am Clan was my co-workers who pretty much bullied me into playing AO wanted to all be Clan. Now though, I choose to stay clan cause I want to fight against the "Evil Empire" and have built up my characters backgrounds around the injustices of OT

Now to stay true to RP I won't make Omni Characters. It leaves Omni cities a bit of a mystery except for what I remeber when I was running around shooting things up when I was CAS vice-commander.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

If you want to know why I am clan read this article.

This also contains a story of the beginning of my life. I was a baby when the Clans revolted.

Also read Benjacrats response to the recent news.

And finally my personal story:

I came from the Notum mines as all the Clanners did. Being very young at the time of the revolt I was unable to help, but lived through the troubled times. When the revolt happened my mother was in the party that escaped to Athen. She was mortally wounded, and my father was in one of the decoy parties that allowed my mother to escape with Redruum'c group.

Soon after we reached Athen my mother died from her wounds, and being that the miners had no insurance patterns yet her death was permanent. I was left without parents or anyone to take care of me, so Redruum and CAS took me under their wing.

One day when I was younger I wasnt particularly good at defending myself and was wandering out in the woods outside Tir. Being young I was very curious and I ran into a Savage Panther. I approached it carefully, but it seemed not carefully enough. The Savage Panther mauled my face, leaving me blinded, and with a large scar from one corner to the other. Luckily for me Redruum was not too far away and heard me yelling for help. He came running and took the Savage Panther out with one AimedShot.

Needless to say I was in need of medical attention. Maxtek fixed up my face, and gave me eye implants. So if you have ever wondered why my eyes are such a bright blue color, its because they arent really MY eyes.

This was the day I knew I wanted to be in CAS. I saw how they helped me, and took care of me and I knew this was my family. Where I belong...

Now jump ahead to later in my life. I remember once we had sent out a recon team to the old notum mines. I joined the team, and went out to see if I could find any remains of my father so I could lay him to rest honorably. We got to the mines and found no traces of anyone there. It had been abandoned for years. While there I did find one thing though. A small necklace with 7 high quality Notum Chips on it. I brought the necklace back with me, and began wearing it. It seemed to remind me of our past, which is something we should never forget.

One day I woke up, and went to shower and noticed my hair was getting lighter...it went on day after day lighter and lighter. Until one day I woke up and it was white with a faint blue tint in it. I figured it must have been from the Necklace. So I took the necklace off and placed it in my bank for sentimental value.

When I was skilled enough I sought to join the ranks of the guild that had made me what I am today. I have come to be known as one of the most resourceful people on Rubi-Ka. I can do anything, and if I cant do it, I know someone who can. I can find anything, and if I cant find it myself, I know people who can. With my resourcefulness and survival skills I have proven to be a great asset to everyone who knows me.

Lust for money, and greed are not befitting for anyone. Because so much was done for me I have a naturally generous nature. If I have extra money and a young one needs it I will share. If I have armor that I dont use anymore I will give it to someone that can use it.

I live a good life, and I would like for everyones life to be as good as mine. That is what I strive for. I am a Fixer yes, but not shady, and not untrustworthy. That is the common public image of Fixers. I am a Fixer and I like to Fix people. Not my bank account. If you ever need me I am here, my friens are my family, would you not give anything you could to yours?

I grew from a child with pride and freedom in my veins and I live now to gain freedom for all the people of Rubi-Ka.

((for clarity CAS has recently split into 2 guilds, one with higher level players, and the other has very mixed levels in it. Arion is the higher level guild.))
    Last edited by Fixerben; Jan 23rd, 2003 at 15:48:59.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

Originally posted by Fixerben
    Fixers. I am a Fixer and I like to Fix people. Not my bank account. If you ever need me I am here, CAS is my family, would you not give anything you could to yours?

Hmm...CAS is still your family?
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

yes CAS is still my family, Red saved my life, and I will be forever indebted to him.

((but I did just edit that, I hadnt read all the way through))

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

Originally posted by Arila

I play all 3 afflictions though
    I love your choice of the word 'afflictions'.

Originally posted by Barbaresque

That's not my point friend. I've got nothing against clanners individually, my beef is that they're ignoring history as a whole. Not Rubi Ka history, but all of it. A revolution has to be fast! If it drags on and on it gets into yer skin. It's gets to be part of you. Sure your small steps are admirable and may be in the right direction, but what happens if you get what you want? There will always be other clans who don't like it. Another group just like the Sentinals or even somethink like the Dust Brigade will show up and spoil yer milk.
    Our cause will not fail. You make my point when you say that there will always be detractors. You are right. And while there will always be detractors, there will always be clansmen on RubiKa. The only people that can be permanently removed are OmniTek employees. Now I do not want to remove OT from the planet. I dont even want OT to stop mining. I dont care about mining one way or another. All I want is for OT to decide if it wants to be a company or a government, not both. You have to run a company in an authoritarian way or it wont be efficient. But a government has no right to be fascist. If they want to be only a government, they must become democratic. If they want to become a real company, they can be a real company and operate independently of the democratic government. They can have a notum monopoly and provide many services to the people at a monopoly. BUt they can't tule over the people. IT costs them money to run a government anyway. If they did things this way, they would make more money.

And for those of you saying we clanners are ignoring history, RubiKa or not, that is laughable. History has shown us that OmniTek cares more about profit, equipment and property than human life. IF you are a company, then you can value profit that much. If you are a government, you cannot. OmniTek's abuse and oppression is what created the clans. Do not tell me I am ignoring history for you are ignoring a far more relevant part of it.

And these statements are absurd. I have agreed with Centurion before, but these I must disagree with.

Omni must profit, Omni must flourish in order to provide for the people who work for them.

No. OmniTek is not profitting so it can benefit the people who for them. OmniTek is profitting so it can help people like Boss Ross and the government on OmniPrime.

Omni-Tek terraformed Rubi-Ka, made it hospitable and provide for people who live there.

OmniTek terraformed RubiKa, making it possible to mass produce slaves to mine notum for them.

Omni-Tek set up transport routes across the entire planet.

OmniTek set up transport routes across the entire planet to profit from faster delivery and to transport their slaves to far away notum mines.

Omni-Tek has insured that life is eternal for those who stay on Rubi-Ka. (Not counting accidents and sabotages.)

OmniTek has insured that life is eternal for those who stay on RubiKa and do not reach the age of 70 where they are no longer allowed to insure.

Omni-Tek has implanted an full wildlife on Rubi-Ka, birds, trees, etc. etc.

OmniTek has implanted a full wildlife on RubiKa, birds, trees, murderous mutants, etc. etc.

Omni-Tek has brought life up to an new standard and has made things alot better for all of us...

OmniTek has brought life up to a standard and has made things alot better for Boss Ross and other Omni higher ups. IT has made life misery for any who think their policies are incorrect, whether they are employees are not.

And keep in mind that OmniTek did all of this off the backs of slave labour.
    Bliqz: "anything Uwen says is a vicious and ugly lie"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast