Thread: Prize Fights, and gambling big bucks

Prize Fights, and gambling big bucks

Has anyone tried setting up prize fights, and running a book on the odds?

I figure someone could set up prize fights in the arena between martial artists, with no armour, weapons, or healing shots allowed. Implants and nano tech allowed, just because it would be too difficult to police. Apart from that they fight naked, greek style. Level differences, track record, (and any info about implants etc) would contribute to the odds.

For really high level fights the prize money would of course be very high, as it would attract lots of high stake bets. Could even get some of the bigger guilds to sponsor fights, as they would be sure to attract a lot of publicity. It would take a bit of organisation, and probably wouldn't start making big bucks until it was very well established.

Any thoughts? I just feel that there should be more ways to lose my money through frivolous gambing in Anarchy Online.
    "When you tread the path of the demon make sure you follow it to the end."

Back when the game first was released, there was the Arena Combat League or some such. Due to the buggy gameplay back then, and 'The Great Player Exodus' of 12.6, it didn't last long.

Something like this would be a great idea, it would have to be well organized and policed due to the number of Arena gankers.

Woot!

This sounds great! But why limit it only to MAs? Surely fights between other professions could also be set up with their own rules.

Which leads me to say that we need one arena each for the three factions that are designed especially for having audiences. Face it the arenas we have now don't make for great viewing.

Perhaps something on the order of an ampitheater with a transparent wall around the fighting area to prevent ganking?

They use to have this in Meridian59 and it was great! Besides one on one, we also had guilds duking it out with other guilds and also a last one standing is the winner free for all competition.

People would sit in the stands and cheer on their favorites and heckle the opposition. Ah....those were the days.
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

I figure the problem would be, as you say ganking. But I also figure you could see people doing that, and as this is a professional gambling corporation thing, that would make the fight null and void. All bets returned and everyone hacked off with whoever tried to buff one of the fighters. If it looked like the player was involved, they would be banned from future events (Winners don't use nanos).

The other problem is that events would have to be organised at least a week in advance, and then players would be off levelling up in the meantime which would change all the odds.

Maybe it would be better if people created prize fighters specifically for professional gambling purposes. They'd get xp from the fights right? Am I right in thinking you can see when someone has implants with that whirly thing going around them? That would stop cheating.

The other problem would be fighters 'taking a dive'. Seems to me if you offer someone enough cash, they'd think about taking a dive, and there will always be people willing to exploit it. The gambling corp would therefore need hardcore backup from a mercenary guild etc, which would cost wonga.

I mean, this is primarily a 'new gambling opportunity', rather than a chance for players to show off their uber-character. I think it could be a success though, and really create some superstars out of players who were prepared to fight honourably. The reason I say just Martial Artists is because this is a gambling thing, it would need to be as standardised as possible. Might work with other characters, could expand into that later.

Okay, I'm thinking of trying to roll with this idea. If anyone is interested here is what we need:

1) Financial backing. Probably about 1000000 creds for start up. Investors could buy 'shares' in the company which would give them a share of the profit. No guarantee of profit though, although exact records of transactions will be available on the website. Mercenary guilds might consider exchanging their services in exchange for shares.

2) Some Fixers to help me sort this out. You fixers are moaning about roles etc, well how about being semi-illegal totes selling bookie slips?

3) Some people interested in starting off new prize fighter martial artists, only for fighting in the ring. I'll make you famous.

4) One pair of red pants/trousers and one pair of blue pants/trousers for the combatants.

(5) Somebody who really understands odds, and can help me work them out.

I figure the name Fight Night Ltd for the company name. Because I can't be bothered working today I've made a logo for it.

http://www.release-incl.demon.co.uk/graphics/fight4.jpg

Let's discuss it more, either here or you can talk to me in game /tell Redrazors.

To be honest, I'm more interested in gambling than setting it up, so feel free to really muck in and contribute. This could be real fun for everyone and add some colour to the game.

The referee could give the exact same buffs to both people so that the fight lasts longer, because I see people going down in less than a second.

Heh

This is a damn good idea.

The only problem is how to organize it.. this can easily be done with players, and maybe a guild to do it, but its not something that necessarily has to be hard coded into the game..

so I guess what I am trying to say is that we can have a system of prize fighting if someone would just want to organize and there are enough people who would be willing to bet on the outcome.. ^^

I've though about it some more, and the organisation and responsibility are too much for me. Probably can't give that much commitment.

Why doesn't some fixer-ish guild set it up? Or someone else, there must be somebody who's always dreamed of being the Don King of the Tir Arena.