Thread: "Dimensional Shift"

Post "Dimensional Shift"

Sid woke to the subtle sound of metal. A clink like the tapping of two keys together jerking him out of a sound sleep like a scream of blue murder.

Eyes opening quickly....his hand slid underneath the pillow and grasped the grip of the OT Boomer he kept there. Life had not been good lately in the big city, and Mrs. Scheer had not raised a dumb boy.

Silently he rolled out of the bed, feet lightly hitting the floor as to make as little noise as possible, while his ice blue eyes scanned the darkness of the bedroom, disarming hostile shadows into known shapes of his possessions as they did so. Whatever it was....it wasn't in this room.

Moving to the door, Sid put his back up against the wall, and stuck the barrel of the Boomer through the crack between the door and the doorframe, silently easing the door to the side. Inching forward, he stuck his head through quickly, cutting his view left to right quickly down the hallway.

'Clear...' he thought to himself, the thought not decreasing the white hot adrenaline flow of fear in the least. He edged out into the hallway, crouched slightly, ears alert for sounds and his nose scanning for telltale foriegn scents.

He heard it again...the subtle clink of metal, freezing solid at the sound, he stopped breathing.

As his eyes adjusted, he noticed a faint blue glow coming from the entry to the main living space. Mentally he ticked off the night before in his head, and was sure he had turned of the console for his medialink before going to bed.

Eyes narrowing slightly, he continued his slow advance down the hallway...stopping just before the entry to the main room of his quarters. And slowly he craned his neck to the left, nose to the plasteel wallplating, letting his left eye scan the room beyond the entryway.

He stopped breating again, his eyes seeing the area of deeper darkness in the grey-black of the night. He coiled and lept out from the entryway, rolling into the room and coming up, the Boomer raising in his hand and taking a bead on the spot of blackness.

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!...the sound of the gun exploded in the small space of the living room, the muzzleflash destroying his night vision and illuminating, for what seemed minutes, the space he had shot at.

His eyes saw nothing in the flares.

The smell of cordite hung heavy in the air as Sid came fully to his feet. Ears ringing...he scanned the room as he backed over to the wall, his fingers finding the touchpad and activating the rooms lighting.

Nothing..., there was nothing in the room.

"Dammit." Sid muttered under his breath, taking a moment to survey the three very large holes in the wall the heavy caliber rounds had left.

Then he heard it again....the subtle sound of two pieces of metal clinking together, he turned quickly, the Boomer coming up before him instantly. Expecting anything.

Then suddenly, he felt momentarily a presence behind him. A sound of plasma current, and the feeling that his neck had just been hit with a hot bat....and the world slid into darkness.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    ((Beginning of an SL that I'm developing to justify my current in game actions. I'm abandoning my Rimor based characters and restarting on Atlantean because of the larger RP population there. Give me a /tell in game if you want, the name is Sharkman, I'm sitting around waiting for an ARK to give me my real name "Sid Scheer" as I write this.))

"He is awake."

"How do you know?"

"I know."

The voices we disconnected, and seemed far away, his head hurt....had he been drinking?

The events he last recalled we disjointed, but he remembered the smell of cordite. He knew something was wrong.

"Where am I?" Sid said, his voice rough and dehydrated.

"Ahh...Mr. Scheer." One of the voices said, there was a quality to it Sid couldn't quite define yet. Something...metallic....an android?

"Who are you?" he said, feeling the presence of someone standing over him, for some reason his eyes did not seem to be working, likely a neuro-inhibitor in place....yes...he felt the pressure of it on his forehead now.

"It would be best for you to think of us as....your friends....for now" the voice said.

"My friends?" Sid said, ears straining, he felt feeling coming back to his arms. 'just a little closer...whoever you are.' he thought.

"Yes...we are your friends...we've...."

Sid lunged off the gurney, barrelling into whoever had been standing close to him, his knee coming up into his captors groin hard, arms coming up together as a guttural snarl of rage escaped his lips, preparing to bring them down in a massive blow across the back of whoever was now kneeling in front of him.

He could not see, but in his minds eye...the world went white sudddenly.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"He is awake."

"How do you know?"

"I know."

The voices we disconnected, and seemed far away, his head hurt....had he been drinking?

The events he last recalled we disjointed, but he remembered the smell of cordite. He knew something was wrong.

"Where am I?" Sid said, his voice rough and dehydrated.

"Ahh...Mr. Scheer," One of the voices said, there was a quality to it Sid couldn't quite define yet. Something...metallic....an android? "let us hope that the shift you just experienced will show you the futility of trying to attack us."

The events were there, in his memory, he remembered distinctly thrusting himself off the gurney and into his captor...but suddenly. What the hell was going on?

"Now, before you decide to go commando on me again Mr. Scheer, can I get your word you'll at least listen to what we have to say before attempting to fight your way out of our custody?"

His head still hurt, he couldn't think. Hard enough, with the neuro-inhibitor on.

"Take this inhibitor off me and I promise not to shove it up your ass when your done talking." Sid growled.

"I shall take that as an agreement to non-violence then Mr. Scheer?" The voice said again, the sudden pressure of a hand resting on the inhibitor unit on his forehead.

"Yes dammit," Sid said, angry and annoyed. "just get this damn thing off me."

He felt the pressure of fingers turning off the unit, then removing it from his forehead. His vision came back slowly, from a pinpoint of light and color...the blackness faded away at the edges of his sight until he could see again.

Around him, the room was a sterile setting, stainless steel and white, a vague clinical look to the room itself. And of course, on one side, the one way plasteel window that he could not see through...but was sure there were people behind it that could see him.

As he looked to the person in the room with him, he wasn't surprised. It was obviously an android, the pallid gray flesh, the white hair...he'd seen them before. But they were very antiquated in a day and age when life could be replicated easily into forms that could do the manual labor that these used to be made for.

"Yes, I am an android, Mr. Scheer." the unit said, coming back towards the gurney as Sid sat up. "I am the human relations unit for my employers."

"Employers?" rubbing his neck, Sid felt the telltale minor burn that a plasma subduer left. "Your employers make a habit of kidnapping people against their will do they?"

The android shook its head slighty, handing Sid a nanocompress for the burn. Sid grudgingly took it, pressing it on the burn and feeling the tingle as the nanites began their repair work.

"Oh, not often Mr. Scheer....not often at all." the android said, looking to the one way plasteel window for a moment. "In fact, you might say never."

Sid looked over to the window himself, then back to the android, confused and waiting for an explanation. He pulled away the compress patch and wadded it up, tossing it on the tray of medical supplies between them and putting his hand to his neck again to check, the burn was gone and the skin fully healed.

"You see Mr. Scheer, we found you somewhere where you shouldn't be." The android said. "And this became something of an issue we needed to fix."

"I was in my living quarters in Rome 7," Sid said, standing up and rolling his neck slightly. "I can hardly see how thats somewhere where I'm not supposed to be."

The android looked to the one way window again and nodded, seemingly getting instructions from a neuro-link, then turned back and looked up to Sid.

"I can see this will take some explaining Mr. Scheer, please..sit down sir, this will not be easy for you to understand."