Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Refocusing the Community work

ok lets get this str8

1) you are moving the focus of ao resources to "community sites" instead of the official site, which is supported by paying players.

2) the bulliten board as is now will be erased ( or conveintly archived)

now what does this mean? It probably means that same as after a crappy launch when there was a bord whipe to keep people from knowing what was going on and the board whipe before the european launch, FC is now doing the same thing again. Maybe as damage controll for the upcoming shadow lands, or in preperation for the release of competing MMORG's that are comming out.

my question is this simply at a time when people are screaming for more information and more feed back and more interaction between funcom and its paying customers, why in the world would you even think this is a viable alternative?

now you seem to be telling us that what we have to say is so unimportant to funcom that you are not even going to support the area in which was dedicated for the pourpose of saying what we have to say in a public area supported by funcom officialy.

This is a slap in the face to every customer, do you realize that?

you are saying

"we do not care about everything and all the time that customers have put into the furoms"

"we are not going to pay for staff to deal with customers concerns"

"we are transfering the burden of having to hear negative feed back from our customers to fanboi sites"

or

"this is simply another board whipe in disguise, with a chance to lower funcoms responsibility to its customers"

well you win funcom, i am finished this is definatly the last straw
    Last edited by besheba; Jan 20th, 2003 at 15:13:22.
    "death comes slowly to those who anticipate it and swiftly to the unconcerned" Richard Pyott

You want a duel?.......Go play chess
    You want honor?......Go serve your country in the military

First pistol crat to reach Chief.

Proud follower of the Mexican Hat Band Cult.

Two boards I would hate to see removed is "The World of Rubi-Ka" since its pretty much the only way to talk about the general encounters of wildlife and encounters in AO. It would totally drown in a major "general"-board. Secondly the patch-board coming up at each patch to gather the common problems people have and posting feedback as they come would be a great mistake to stop doing in my opinion.

And further - Ao Basher isn't an option for me. Havn't been able to get on that site ever without using an US proxy.

"Should start a combined raid/NW bot, where people get points if they help take down a clan base. Should be most effective." - Said by Waikase 14th of May 2003 in sarcasm to the appearance of the first raidbots on Rk1.

Angry

Bad news. Whats the next message from Funcom? We cant maintain the servers anymore? A company who has an MMORPG as its product should have these boards. Dont think you would like to get thousands of emails a week with people asking questions, who otherwise would have used the forums. AO is a great game, but the signs are bad.

Destractor, reading fan site forums is more work than reading own forums, yes. But reading fan site forums instead of reading own forums, administrating the forums, and moderating the forums, is a lot less work.

Currently, due to other tasks, we read less. We hope to change that now.

Dr.Log, closing the RP forum is not done with a wish to nerf anything. There are already roleplayers on other bulletin board that you might never see. If you need to keep all people from our RP forum together, decide on one place to go, together.

si, this is done also to get time to give more official answers. With less time spent on other things, I have more to grab hold of issues people are concerned about, and give proper updates.

The fan sites can help a lot in this, as they have more eyes on the community than we do, and a unique position to bug us with things and post them to the public when getting an answer. And updates will also be posted in the Community Corner, which has seen more frequent updates already on this side of Christmas.

besheba, the bulletin board will remain here. Several forums will be moved to an own section and closed for posting. Nothing will be deleted.

And I'm not sure how you link "open bulletin board" with "more information". These entire bulletin boards are not our main place for giving information. One single forum here might be, and will serve the purpose just as well as having the posts spread on 30 forums.

And your way of trying to claim I say thing I am not saying is just unconstructive.

Noer, the patch notes will be posted on all fan sites (I hope), and on the main site, as well as the test server forum. We will of course keep a close eye on the feedback on external bulletin boards each time such important updates are posted.

mickey, no, I don't think I'll be swamped that much in e-mails.

What why, are you crazy?
    Its not Aprils Fools for months!
    Gimmie a break!

TOMTEMOR

Originally posted by Cz
    Noer, the patch notes will be posted on all fan sites (I hope), and on the main site, as well as the test server forum. We will of course keep a close eye on the feedback on external bulletin boards each time such important updates are posted.
    So you wont run the temporary board with people crying in frustration when patching? I think thats a really bad idea. There may be a lot of swearing and crying, but also a lot of the problems with prior patches was posted there and people were able to see what the already reported problems were and thereby putting less stress on your support-department and the ARK-program.
    "Should start a combined raid/NW bot, where people get points if they help take down a clan base. Should be most effective." - Said by Waikase 14th of May 2003 in sarcasm to the appearance of the first raidbots on Rk1.

Originally posted by Cz
    besheba, the bulletin board will remain here. Several forums will be moved to an own section and closed for posting. Nothing will be deleted.

And I'm not sure how you link "open bulletin board" with "more information". These entire bulletin boards are not our main place for giving information. One single forum here might be, and will serve the purpose just as well as having the posts spread on 30 forums.

And your way of trying to claim I say thing I am not saying is just unconstructive.

posted on official ao website above bullinten board

The Anarchy Online Forums are the main line of communication between the players and the developers. It is where ideas are exchanged, and answers are given. It is also a place for people to be social, and communicate, all important aspects of Anarchy Online.

??????????????????????????????????

now ask me your question again

or state somthing to the effect

"anything a customer has bad to say is unconstructive"

getting rid of furoms is the wrong thing too do, i am not the only person who feels this way

as far as claiming to say things that you do not mean to say goes, well there is a thing called logic here is a little example

if A than B
    if B than C

therefore if A than C

so if what you say is A and A is true and C is true, than B is transposing the factor fo truth

so basicly, with some conjecture it is easy for me to come to the conlusions on my statements.
    Last edited by besheba; Jan 20th, 2003 at 15:42:24.
    "death comes slowly to those who anticipate it and swiftly to the unconcerned" Richard Pyott

You want a duel?.......Go play chess
    You want honor?......Go serve your country in the military

First pistol crat to reach Chief.

Proud follower of the Mexican Hat Band Cult.

Exclamation

I noticed that the bug and feedback related forums have been su****iously left out of the list of forums that will likely survive...

Why doesn't that surprise me?

I had a witty comment here but decided that it was a waste of time.
    "On the brink of the dark he stood, with only the dream of the cities, the million books, the spectral images of the people he had loved, who had loved him, whom he had known and lost. They will not come again. They never will come back again."

-Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938), Look Homeward, Angel

Ugh.

I understand why you're doing this, as you've made it very clear.

I'm frustrated as a player. Coming here to find every forum I would ever need was simply convenient. We knew everyone, and every forum was simply one or two clicks away. Not to mention, the way the forum was run (for the most part) was very professional.

I think you are overlooking "convenience" when you assume people are going to go sign up at a number of different "fansites" to post on their respective forums. I just don't see it happening as much as you think it will.

Perhaps out of boredom, I'll go sign up with AO Basher to see how things are over there, but nothing will compare to the AO forums and being able to directly communicate with those in the Community, such as yourself. I also think you're kidding yourself when you say you'll be both reading and posting more on fansites than you do on these forums now.

A bummer all around
    Last edited by Sheffy; Jan 20th, 2003 at 15:45:47.

I think that so long as the cuts go no deeper it's fair enough for FC to rationalise the boards. I would however urge FC to try and get two people on the team. It's a lot of work running this kind of BB and it shouldn't all fall on one person's shoulders

Noer, running the temporary patch day forum might still be a possibility. I didn't think that was what you were talking about.

besheba, good point. That text was writeen ages ago, and has obviously been missed completely when updating the purpose of the bulletin board. I actually think it's from August 2001.

Please disregard it. It's a mistake that it's still there.

On the rest, I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. We would never consider that "anything a customer has bad to say is unconstructive". What have I said to that effect?

Hoops' Cousin, the article covered where to send bugs and feedback.

Sheffy, I agree with you on the convenience. However, one can easily say that it would also be convenient if we had 6 people working on the community team, and we could all work 24/7, if you get my drift.

Tatterjack, I got some weird error on your profile, so I had to remove your avatar. Probably some database error. Feel free to add the avatar again.

COMPLETELY Brain dead.

If anything, you should focus the entire community on the official site.

No Offence to anyone running fan sites or such, but imho they should be just that, fan sites. Anyone looking for official information, news/discussions on official things should come to the OFFICIAL SITE.

/rant.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Why, thank you for the extremely constructive feedback, Kinkstaah.

/sarcasm

Now, did you at all read the part about resources on the team?

I can understand a lot or your reasons for this change, and I agree that its better to spend time focusing on the information exchange between fc<->players, than on moderation the forum.

Im however concerned when you say that you are going to send content to the fan sites, fx dev chat. Does this mean that I will have to check a list of fansites in order to keep up with the game? Information to gamechanges are very vital to anyone, and even though the fansites might lack visitors, forcing us to go there to get the info is not really a good solution.

As an example, lets say you let a fan site perform an interview with some devs and give them exclusive rights to host the log. Would you then post the log on this forum for easy access? or just a post about the site having the log?

If you intend to spread fc->player "content" out over the fan sites then we at least need a central place to find out which fansites have gotten what. Is that something you honestly can promise will happend, or will we be left to search the fansites and hope we actually find the dev chats/news that we should know about in order to make choices for the future.

I don't see how much negative impact this is going to have for anyone. I mean, how often do we get answers on raised issues anyway?

I have to agree with Besheba though. This is a step in the wrong direction. We already suffer from lacklustre support regarding player concerns as it is. E-mails don't get answered, posts on the boards get ignored. Only time you see some action around here is when someone says something that's not liked or that reflects badly on Funcom. Funny how threads like that are pounced on in 10 seconds when there's other very constructive threads with requests for information that fade into oblivion.

In closing, I wish to state that Funcom have very little credibility left with regards to keeping promises and supporting the players. The two very-well timed "accidental" forum wipes, the broken promises etc. Is it a sign of ostrich mentality in Funcom or do you guys really think the playerbase of this game and the global MMORPG community is composed 99% of mentally deficient people?

Oh well, waiting for 14.8 patch notes (already been stated NT upgrade NOT happening but I'll wait to be sure) then I'm cancelling for good. Haven't even played in over a month.

/shrug
    NT's are Gods. No really we are. What are you lot laughing at???

Level 220 Clan NT. Proud member of JVC

My equipment

Noxz, I aim on contunuing what I have done the last few weeks; sending updates to the fan sites whenever I have news for them. I also hope to expand it, notifying other sites about interesting news on each site.

So if e.g. Stratics have a dev chat, I'll make sure to e-mail all the other sites to let them know about it, and most likely post about it in the Community Corner too.

Kopo, you start off with an extremely good point. Maybe it's time to focus on ways to get proper answers? Trying to read the full bulletin board each day is not a way that works.

But, two things:

"E-mails don't get answered"
    I believe both Customer Service and I answer 99% of all e-mails, so I'd like to see an example of this before I accept that statement as truth.

"posts on the boards get ignored"
    20000+ posts per week, 1 community person. You try.
    Last edited by Cz; Jan 20th, 2003 at 16:44:58.

I somehow think you adressed that one to me by a mistake. 8-P

Sorry Cz, my bad there. What I should have said was questions don't get answered. Unless you count evasion or outright ignorance of an issue or problem as an answer. Stock replies or a token sentence doesn not make an efficient and credible support service.

You're also right about the amount of posts but who's fault is that? How many people are playing this game Cz? You know better than me. Why wasn't Cosmik replaced? If there's that much work for ONE community rep then where's the other staff that should be doing the job with you? Sureply it's justified? Is it our fault that the staff aren't there? What more can we do? We play the game, we pay our subscriptions, we buy the expansion packs. We put up with a lot for this game. Now and in the past.

If the forums are generating that many posts a day, assuming we cull a few hundred here and there because they're not questions to the devs etc, we are still left with a lot of people asking for answers.

As is their right.

Don't you think that addressing the issues raised constantly on these boards would do more to address the topic and reply spam? Players just keep posting the same crap and duplicating topics and questions already on the same page. Why? Because they're not getting answers. Now you are proposing you take ten steps back and not only will players not get answers but they won't be able to pose the questions in an applicable forum in the first place.

I'm sure it all makes perfect sense to some people but I'm scratching my head here. Maybe I'm mentally deficient...
    NT's are Gods. No really we are. What are you lot laughing at???

Level 220 Clan NT. Proud member of JVC

My equipment

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast