Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Refocusing the Community work

Originally posted by Blix
    It sux to lose these forums (as you can tell from all these posts).

But wow, Solarax's info was pretty positive (not like the other sites' input which was basicily "THIS IS GREAT NEWS! COME TO OUR SITE!").

Plus no ads, and no sold email addresses.

Of the three, this site - to me- seems to hold the most potential.
    I hardly said this is great news, come to my site. I merely said, having managed huge boards myself (and still do manage), I understand totally where Cz is coming from.

IGN doesn't sell your email addresses. And when you sign-up, you are given the option to opt-out of sharing the email with our partners.

We do have ads, and we can't compete with Basher on that level. We can't survive without ads.

I think its great Solarax has his site and I definitely would recommend Basher and Stratics to others. I don't think you'll find us being exclusive - but instead see us working together to the betterment of the entire AO community (I hope anyway).

Rose
    Zachary Sawyer was born at 11:09 AM on September 17, 2002
    Industry Relations Coordinator - Warcry.com
    Visit AO Warcry - http://ao.warcry.com

I think there making a smart decision.
    I'd much rather Funcom placed their resources into the game rather than on these forums.
    Im sure this will upset many of the regular visitors to this forum but sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the greater good.

Ok i know we've made sacrifices in the past and not always got what we wanted but im giving FC the benifit of the doubt.

As for an alternative to the Atlantean/Rimor market threads well basically i think its obvious we need an internal bartering/shopping menu.
    Im not a designer so i dont pretend to know how to implement such a thing but im sure everyone would appriciate being able to buy what they want, not whatever is spammed into the Shopping Channels.

And lets be honest i think the social corner is a bit ironic.
    AO is a social game so lets see more people in bars/clubs/cafes and what-not!

Well thats my thoughts on FC's recent news flash.

Feel free to add constructive and intelectually challenging comments

Originally posted by Bloodvayne
    I think there making a smart decision.
    I'd much rather Funcom placed their resources into the game rather than on these forums.
    Im sure this will upset many of the regular visitors to this forum but sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the greater good.

Feel free to add constructive and intelectually challenging comments
    Is "hi I have 27 posts and I rarely read the forums so this doens't affect me?" count as a challenging comment?

~Chris

Sid Scheer, we did not have a privacy statement so far, since it was not needed and the link "Privacy Statement" was coded into our forum software with one of the recent versions. Jhariden has already written a Privacy STatement which will be reviewed by the Stratics attorneys and should be there where it belongs soon, so you can read our privacy statement as much as you want. We do not share user info (we dont have that much user info anyway) and if my personal statements are not enough for you, then i dont know what is.

We chose our moderators carefully and not everyone would become moderator on our forums. It takes some skill to determine what posts are acceptable on *our* forums and which are not. As i said, the thread about Crat00 or WebMD would have been allowed, but some of the posts in there not, due to their wording or intention.

Thats all i will say about that topic and you can read the privacy statement you so adamantly demand soon.
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

My post count is insignificant as i normally just read the forums.
    Are you saying because i dont spam the forums im not allowed an opinion?
    That seems unfair.

Originally posted by Bloodvayne
    My post count is insignificant as i normally just read the forums.
    Are you saying because i dont spam the forums im not allowed an opinion?
    That seems unfair.

Your opinion is valid, of course. The question is, is it a biased response?

~Chris

Having to go to outside sites i think is a bad idea.

I dont want to go to 3 4 5 752375 sites to read the forums. I think that they should all stay here, in 1 place. I mean these are great forums, but gettin rid of them and pretty much making me to go outside sources is a big thumbs down.
    GalxandJoan "Toxinator" Rox :: 202 Doc
    He "Tearspoint" Totem :: 215 Nano Tech :: Equipment :: Perks
    General :: Band of Brothers :: Band of Brothers Forums

Account Created
    2001-08-23 04:59:27

Account Status:
    Open

Originally posted by Megabio

Your opinion is valid, of course. The question is, is it a biased response?

~Chris
    Quite true.

Account Created

Account Status:
    Open

If u mean by biased that i'd prefer effort to go into the game than on these forums then yes i suppose i am.
    Theres plenty of other forums out there, im sure you can spend time on those and have just as much fun there as you can here?

I know one thing I will never do again and that is open stratics web site. Gawd if you forget to run a pop up killer in advance you're alt+f4ing 20 times. I can't beleive FC would pawn it's customers off on a pop up whoring fansite. I don't know about the other forums FC is pawning us off on, but I won't be visiting them either. Just the thought of my e-mail and information possibly being sold turns me off from that. Of course they will tell you here they don't sell your info, but that would be expected considering how hot an issue that is these days.

Originally posted by Lord Tritoch
    Having to go to outside sites i think is a bad idea.

I dont want to go to 3 4 5 752375 sites to read the forums. I think that they should all stay here, in 1 place. I mean these are great forums, but gettin rid of them and pretty much making me to go outside sources is a big thumbs down.
    I think its a bad idea as well. But usually being an active participant in the Forums PvP (not the PvP Forums, mind you) that goes on around here, I can see how these forums would eat the time of a whole squad of Czs.

Personally I'd recommend Funcom find a bunch of people with experience in being "Board Nazis", as they're so colorfully called, and turn them loose to trim back the useless information so the nuggets Funcom is looking for is easier to find. But then they'd prolly be using most their time nuking censorship threads

It's a no-winner here.
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Originally posted by Sid Scheer
    Yes, I'd love to submit my personal information to your database...and then submit to your monkey mods point of view on what is "proper forum behavior".
    Just so there isn't too much confusion...

...off the top of my head, Stratics and AO-Basher asked for minimal amounts of information from me. Very little, actually.

IGN asked for more, and if I wasn't attentive, could have accidentally entered more information than was actually necessary. Still, for anyone used to signing up for forums, nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe a bit more for someone who is not.

Yes, I went ahead and signed up for all three yesterday.

The official AO forums are still my primary home. I just wanted to make it clear to people who are trying to make heads or tails of the whole situation - while it IS fair to say that some measure of privacy is given up by signing up at the three sites, it it nowhere near what has been waved around.

What amuses me is that the email account that DOES get lots of spam email - is the one that I've not registered with any forum service. I use it for personal correspondence, mostly.

Just thought I'd offer my view on the whole thing. I'm not saying that there aren't good points being made for privacy. There are some very good ones, actually.

I just think that people are a little too quick to hop on the privacy bandwagon, however. Good intentions, but let's just get it straight about how much information is being asked for when you register on forums.

Alright, that's my community service for today.
    Capacitor, the device - a device which collects and stores electricity.
    Capacitor, the Fixer - a Opifex who collects and stores visits to Reclaim.

-||-

one question.

John McLain asked one thing that has been on my mind this entire time reading EVERYONE's response to this.

he asked: "Is funcom in such bad shape that they can't afford to pay some schleb $5 an hour to keep spam links off this board?"

This is a very good question, and I honestly think that we are entitled to have the answer. This is not a question to incite a flame war, just a serious question as to the state of Anarchy Online/Funcom financially.

I really like this game. I played during beta, quit for year because it was a bug-fest (as everyone knows) but came back about 2 months ago to find a hell of a great game. Want to know the reason I came back?

The official forum.

I got on to check the state of the game, and found tons of insightful points, guides, and help from players. Not the flame-fest that the boards used to be during the games first few months.

So please... let me (and the rest of the players) know whats really going on.

++Oarix
    62 Engineer

Hm the announcement is gone.

Account Created

Account Status:
    Open

Originally posted by Unit99
    I know one thing I will never do again and that is open stratics web site. Gawd if you forget to run a pop up killer in advance you're alt+f4ing 20 times. I can't beleive FC would pawn it's customers off on a pop up whoring fansite. I don't know about the other forums FC is pawning us off on, but I won't be visiting them either. Just the thought of my e-mail and information possibly being sold turns me off from that. Of course they will tell you here they don't sell your info, but that would be expected considering how hot an issue that is these days.
    I suggest you download AdAware and check your system for spyware. We currently have only 1 pop-up advertisement, which only appears once per-visit and only on our main page.

Onto your second concern, please be aware that we would be in violation of several laws if we used/disclosed/sold your private information (of which we only have your email address) after informing you that we do not. The Stratics Network has been operating for over 5 years and has NEVER sold personal information such as e-mail addresses.

In regards to our recent issues with speed, we are aware of these difficulties. We recently changed hosts and our new provider is in the process of performing maintenance, this is a short-term problem, and one that will be resolved expeditiously.

If you have any further issues or concerns, you are welcome to contact Scott “Jhariden” Yaskin, Vice President of Network Development at Jhariden@stratics.com
    Last edited by Meister; Jan 22nd, 2003 at 01:30:28.
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.

Originally posted by Meister

I suggest you download AdAware and check your system for spyware. We currently have only 1 pop-up advertisement, which only appears once per-visit and only on our main page.
    So, you're saying we should go out of our way to get some stupid Ad-Blocker so that we can visit your site? ...

~Chris

One popup is ONE popup to many! I didn't ask for that popup and you forced it upon me. You lose I never browse your site again for that reason. And frankly I don't beleive you when you say you don't sell info. These sites always claim that, but Internet users are more and more spammed with garbage vie e-mail and postal mail. It's a severe problem and simple trust on the web gets you burned. Sorry but that's what your 'one' popup did.

Thanks to Gallahan, Attriel, Kiir, Draconius and all other Stratics PMs and APMs who advised me to stay away from this thread in the future. Its good to be part of Stratics. Thanks guys
    Last edited by Meister; Jan 22nd, 2003 at 02:01:49.
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol

Originally posted by Meister
    Thanks to Gallahan, Attriel, Kiir, Draconius and all other Stratics PMs and APMs who advised me to stay away from this thread in the future. Its good to be part of Stratics. Thanks guys
    Why?

Account Created

Account Status:
    Open

Jaxx

Of course...

Of course this was going to happen..
    Cz is one of the few remaining employees this company has working for them-- so they continue to nerf and scale back. Of course Funcom is on the verge of bankruptcy, and SWG and Many other MMORPG's are on the verge of release, so dont blame him, just feel sorry for him that he hasn't found a job at a company with a future yet.
    And feel sorry for yourselves if you care about forums when you are too stupid to quit whining and just quit the game-- it is dead, no balance, no high end game, no community, and no future, embrace the death of the piece of crap that AO is and has always been--- all the lies, nerfs and endless bugs will end even sooner if you stop throwing your money at them, you can make a difference.
    See you in a better world.
    (at least the smart ones)

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast