Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Refocusing the Community work

One more quick comment:

Krebul, our moderators are volunteer moderators.

Ok, I've read a lot of this, and there is much that is either speculation or nonsense, but at the heart of it is the issue of community. Nice your keeping the RP forum, but I suggest you keep the WoRK forum too, a lot of useful stuff gets posted there, both for beginners and vetrans alike. That would leave us with something like this:

Funcom Official
    Article Discussions
    Community Team Reports
    Technical
    Can't Get The Game Running
    Other Technical Issues
    Game Play
    Beginner's Corner
    World Of Rubi-Ka
    Community
    Roleplay
    Professions
    Adventurer
    Agent
    ...etc.
    Test Server
    Test Server Bugs And Discussions

The other forums can get on as well elsewhere as here, though being spread over multiple sites will divide the community to some extent. But If you manage to keep the above forums, I'll live with it...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

THANK YOU!

In response to takinf the Roleplay Forum off the chopping block:

To Funcom, and Cz.

It means alot to the fans that our voices are heard. In so many other cases other companies do not have the guts to reconsider a decision based on fan feedback.

Bravo!~
    Bliqz, Agent, Omni, Atlantean, "Iron Chef of Rubi-Ka"
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

Angry

i could write what i think about this 'refocus' but frankly im a nice girl and i dont wanna get madder than i am at this already....

i could write constructive stuff, but i imagine people have posted stuff already....

i could rant and rave, but im not gonna, wouldnt make much difference anyway ....

but i will point out that there are alot of new mmorpg's out in the next few months, and while i personally will stick with AO (unless they do something REALLY stupid, like nerf doc's or something) i'm sure there are many people that will be quitting anyway so do you really want to discourage the rest of us too?

*edited due to my lack of typing skills *

Originally posted by lilnymph
    its the black helicopters, watch out for the black helicopters........

hugs

lilnymph
    They're not actually black, but anyway...

Not much to say that hasn't already been mentioned, but I for one will not under any circumstances register with third-party sites for AO forum "content".

My tone is a direct reflection of your attitude.

220 Wiseguy - Bureaucrat
    ... and a bevy of underequipped 220's

Account Created 16 July 2001

Hey there everyone,

While I myself agree with the majority of people here that the "streamlining" of the Official Bulletin Boards is not really that beneficial to the community, I can see why Funcom have decided to make this decision. I raised my concerns about these actions potentially splitting the Anarchy Online community into several groups when this development was first mentioned to me, but as I see it, the decision has been made and we're going to have to make do the best we can with the resulting situation.

I am glad however that the changes will ease the pressure on Cz a little, even if I though that hiring more Community staff would be a better way to progress. At the end of the day that is merely my opinion.

Anyway, onto the discussions here about potential forums. I'm not going to take an aggressive stance and shameless plug the AO-Basher forums because the last thing I want to do is force players to use a system their not comfortable with. The most important thing is that people keep talking somewhere because as soon as that stops, the life-blood of this game is drained away. For all the problems that Anarchy Online has had and are having, I have no doubt that the game's community is easily the best of any MMORPG.

However, the AO-Basher forums are there for those who want to use them. I can also categorically state that any details you enter will NEVER be used in any commercial way, they'll just sit in the AO-Basher SQL database doing nothing unless readers want them to. Also the site has absolutely no advertising at all. We have been offered advertising deals in the past, but I absolutely hate them and as we are a one off and not part of a network, I luckily get to make all these decisions myself.

Next an apology. As mentioned in threads here, I know the boards are very underused at the moment, primarily because the Official Bulletin Boards are so good.We will be happy to create new forums for people who want an exact replacement of those being removed from here. We also know that the site's content is very old, but we are working to change this and we need the average players help. If you have guides, screenshots, maps, even your own editorials, don't hesitate to send them in as I have a policy of posting every bit of news I receive (within reason).

The AO-Basher team is only constructed of three people at the moment, and so you can imagine that we don't have the power to get as much done as some of the fansites with larger staff numbers, but to battle this I would love to have more editorials and articles from players. See it as working as a freelance reporter. If you have something to say and want it read by lots of people then come to us and we'll do our best to get it up for you.

Anyway, that's enough waffle for now. I just wanted to explain AO-Basher's current status to those who are looking into finding a "new home". Good Luck
    Solarith- Level 220 Solitus Keeper - Defender Rank: Backer (20)
    Solarax - Level 189 Solitus Agent - Defender Rank: None (0)
    Solarize - Level 30 Solitus Doctor - Defender Rank: None (0)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Advisor Of Forsaken
    Former Editor-In-Chief
    AO Basher - all you needed...
    E-Mail : SolaraxGVRK@hotmail.com

Well it's pretty obvious they can't even afford to run the forums. That's quite sad if you ask me. Woohooo we can go to stratics and have 40 pop up windows spam us. /me starts looking for nice pop up window killer now.

Interesting points (and a severe case of Deja-vu of EQ, although this is no where near as the blackout they enforced. EQ did the same thing and they were hardly in financial trouble were they? That arguement is a little 'conspiracy theory' for my liking )

Anyway my two cents.

Soon after I started playing AO in 2001 I noticed that the community was not very active outside of the official boards, and I always had an aversion to official boards simply due to bad experiences on the EQ 'flameplay boards'. I hung around the boards on AO-Basher and noticed that even the mainstream sites (Stratics, vault, lore etc) had very little in the way of updates.

Thats one of the reasons I started and built up AO-Zone.

I continued to play AO and work on the site but lacked a good board to call 'home'.

Then a conversation with Kuren / Beaker (helpbot creator) turned me in the direction of the VN Boards.

I will say now that if it hadn't been for that conversation I probably wouldn't still be playing and AO-Zone would have dissappeared long ago.

It is a great community of some very good people, possibly the best board community I have ever been a part of, with the best mods you could hope for.

It lead me eventually to recently join them and work on AO-Vault rather the zone.

Does that make this opinion biased?

Maybe, but it doesn't change the fact that my experience on their boards where what made me agree to joining.

Yes, you need to sign up to IGN. If you really object to someone having your email on a mailing list I can't imagine you do much online, my email seems to pop up in the wierdest of places

The boards are stable, well managed and generally a fun place to hang out. Personally I am willing to put up with the odd add to have that.

Come join us we'll be glad to see you!
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

Originally posted by Sid Scheer

Thats entirely possible too Miria but my AOL account is about 5 years old.

Yes it would occasionally get spam over that time. But nothing to the level of ridiculous its been since May of last year. 400 pieces of spam in a week is ridiculous for an account I don't use anywhere.
    AOL now gives you the ability to block the addresses that are generating that spam. Not that it will get rid of all spam but at least you might stop the worse offenders. You can also report those addresses to AOL. I make a point of reporting spam with an AOL address to AOL.

Game-Play Bugs forum

I understand that, if I come across a bug, I can e-mail it in. But, I found the Game-Play Bugs forum particularly useful because I could see what bugs others were finding and because I could find out if others were having the same problems as I am. I know the Game-Play Bugs forum doesn't get a lot of posts. Perhaps not many people will miss it. But, I sure will.

Regarding the Privacy Statement on the Stratics forums: We have never had one as it was not neccessary to have one so far. The "Privacy Statement" link on the forums came up with one of the newer versions of our forum software and so far no privacy statement was needed, since Stratics does not use the user information provided on registration (the email address) in any way other than notification of new threads (if that option is enabled) or to send a temp. password to the email address specified to use the forum account or to resend the password in case you forget it. You will never receive spam related to Stratics through email addresses used to sign up on our forums and other than your email address, no other information is needed.

Since noqw we know that we dont have a privacy statement on our forums and obviously need one to tell forum users that we dont use their info for anything, Jhariden will come up with something.
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

It sux to lose these forums (as you can tell from all these posts).

But wow, Solarax's info was pretty positive (not like the other sites' input which was basicily "THIS IS GREAT NEWS! COME TO OUR SITE!").

Plus no ads, and no sold email addresses.

Of the three, this site - to me- seems to hold the most potential.
    ======================

blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

Originally posted by Meister
    Regarding the Privacy Statement on the Stratics forums: We have never had one as it was not neccessary to have one so far. The "Privacy Statement" link on the forums came up with one of the newer versions of our forum software and so far no privacy statement was needed, since Stratics does not use the user information provided on registration (the email address) in any way other than notification of new threads (if that option is enabled) or to send a temp. password to the email address specified to use the forum account or to resend the password in case you forget it. You will never receive spam related to Stratics through email addresses used to sign up on our forums and other than your email address, no other information is needed.

Since noqw we know that we dont have a privacy statement on our forums and obviously need one to tell forum users that we dont use their info for anything, Jhariden will come up with something.
    okay, well fair enough on that Meister. Thanks for the response.
    But until what you stated above is put into a Stratics Privacy Policy, its nothing more than a personal opinion of yours.
    Please keep us up to date on this.

thanks
    ======================

blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

And would you mind posting exact rules for moderation. I personally would like to know who gets to decide where to draw the line on what you consider flame wars. Just how much of a love fest do you plan on keeping it? How far will someone be able to go on stratics without their post being deleted? What constitutes being banned from the boards?

You have already mentioned that you will be more strict than the official forums.

For example, the long running post regarding the disgraceful actions of your org member, Crat00, would last how long on stratics? How can we be assured that you will not give special treatment to threads regarding your org, omni pol?

So far, there has been no reply from you in response to people taking issue with your draconian sounding statement about forum moderation.
    Jellobiafra General of First Order
    First Order-Cleaning clanners since 29210
    Visit our website to join!!

Originally posted by Blix
    It sux to lose these forums (as you can tell from all these posts).

But wow, Solarax's info was pretty positive (not like the other sites' input which was basicily "THIS IS GREAT NEWS! COME TO OUR SITE!").

Plus no ads, and no sold email addresses.

Of the three, this site - to me- seems to hold the most potential.
    I have to agree Blix...of the three sites posts here....Solarax made the best impression on me...See you on Basher
    All the ducks are swimming in the water

I do not personally moderate our forums. That is what we have a forum staff for. The rules for our forums are in our ROC (Rules of Conduct) which have worked fine so far for all other Stratics network sites and made the UOS forum community what it is today. I have no intentions to treat members of my ingame org any differently than any other Stratics visitor, since my position with AO Stratics is not related to my organization. We have our own organization forums anyway which i have enough to do with.

What is to be moderated, is up to our moderators and common sense. I would say that a thread like the one about Crat00 would not have been left unmoderated as it was on the Fixer forum here, since it contained a number of posts which would have been considered inappropriate on a Stratics forum, due to their wording or general intent. It all depends on how you word it and how it was done on the Fixer forum, would not be acceptable for Stratics forums, according to our ROC (which was not made by me btw).

With moderation i mean that our forums are much more strict when it comes to flame wars or spam posts. That is not meant to be draconian, but too much spam and too many flame posts and whining, destroy a forum community. You are welcome to try it out
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

Originally posted by Cz
    Ok, ok, ok, calm down now. No footness in the thread, please.

Now, I have a few things I need to take care of today, so I can't reply in this thread all the time. I'll read the feedback as it comes in (and maybe post a "read this far now" notice now and then).

I will take the day to look through it all with the others here, and we'll see whether we can find a good alternative. There are good suggestions in this thread, so maybe we can pile it together, cut on other things, and make everybody happy.

Please give some breathing space in this thread though. I'm far too easy to drag into a conversation, especially when people bend my words to mean the opposite of what I said. Knowing myself, I will reload this thread often, and will spend too much time in it to get anything done anyway.

Sound ok? Hope so. Thanks.
    OMG CZ MENTIONED FOOTNESS!!!!!!

Cz, it would mean more than you could ever imagine to me, just to see you type "OMG TEH FOOTNESS" just once man!!!

Just once!!!!
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

lmao deac

Thank you for responding and saying MY name *takes a screenshot*

Anyway, Forums i think should stay:
    • Beginners Forum
    • Future Anarchy Forum
    • Atlantean and Rimor Markets
    • Test Server Forums
    • Profession Forums
    • Role Playing Forums
    • Community
    • Organizations
    • Social
    GalxandJoan "Toxinator" Rox :: 202 Doc
    He "Tearspoint" Totem :: 215 Nano Tech :: Equipment :: Perks
    General :: Band of Brothers :: Band of Brothers Forums

Account Created
    2001-08-23 04:59:27

Account Status:
    Open

Originally posted by Cz
    I'm positive right now about keeping the RP forum, for the reason several people gave me; AO is an MMORPG. Thus having such a forum on this bulletin board is as beneficial to new players as the Beginners' Corner and the profession forums.

Also, the events people have requested it stays here, as they use it to keep people under surveill... *cough* stay updated on player events.
    I think the same analogy can be made for a PvP related forum.
    Especially since with NW you guys intended to have AO be made for a large part out of PvP events / battles.

Now pvp threads are in 3 forums mostly (NW, pvp and tara). But there can be made 1 big PvP oriented forum where new players can ask there pvp and towerbattles questions, and the old players can discuss the latest things going on.

So a big bump for a PvP forum from me!
    • RK2: Dyna2 Enfo Dyna18 NT Dyna666 Keeper Dyna4000 Fixer Dyna27012 Crat
    • RK-Test: Dyna0002 Meta-Physicist Dyna90210 Fixer ( 05-02-2003)
    • Check my QL200 Enforcer implant designs at Auno.org: 1HE 2HE 2HB
    • Best custom map: Raiko's Map (based on Dovve's AO Enhancements)
    • Best custom skin: Notum DovveTech HUD upgrade (based on Dovve's AO Enhancements)

Omni-Tek is your friend!
    Elnertz: "I spend all my time making all the loot mine, all because there is no ****ing storyline!"

With moderation i mean that our forums are much more strict when it comes to flame wars or spam posts. That is not meant to be draconian, but too much spam and too many flame posts and whining, destroy a forum community. You are welcome to try it out
    So what your saying is that on top of us having to submit personal information to your site that is not secure and we've no official assurance from the Stratics Network that it will be kept so except your continued statements. Your moderators apparently also know better than we do about how topics should be discussed.

Your saying that threads like the ones about Crat00, and WebMD would get squashed on your forums because your mods would feel the content was negative.

That sounds like even more of a reason not to use the Stratics forums to me.

The AO Forums have always been about a free congress of opinions. People SHOULD be able to know about players like Crat00 and WebMD to ensure that situations like that don't occur again. And that the people that did wrong get the reputation they deserve.

Your arguments for the Stratics forums are passionate, of course Meister, but your reasons for why they'd be better than the official ones are highly distasteful.

Yes, I'd love to submit my personal information to your database...and then submit to your monkey mods point of view on what is "proper forum behavior". Would you mind PMing me and telling me when naptime is...I'll need to go to the bathroom first because all the apple juice and cookies will make me mess on my blankie.

What I'm saying is that of course there has to be a behavioral limitation. People posting 2600 lines of profanity need to be moderated. But thats not the impression your statements here are making by saying beneficial threads like the ones about Crat00 and WebMD wouldn't have been allowed on the ao.stratics.com forums.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast