Thread: Tip for next patch, to make the game good (better for those that like it)

Tip for next patch, to make the game good (better for those that like it)

First, the most important issue: force the programmers to stop smoking crack.

Ok, once that is done...how about u buy real servers? Take up a loan, u will get more players if the game actually works.

Crowd Control is one of the dumbest ideas ever, fire whoever came up with the idea. I know your servers are as crappy as they come, but we still get MEGA lag and LD's when alot of people are there, so the CC does nothing good..just piss everyone off.

NW is a joke atm...some fights work, but as soon as more than 40 people show up, u be FC'ed...

I hear that in Daoc the game gets lagged up with 300 people fighting...300 people in the same zone = insta zone crash in ao...the servers are just too low quality.

Unfortunately SWG is postponed, otherwise I wouldn't have been here still...first mmorpg for me, but I keep hearing from people that this is the crappiest when u talk about lag. And lag is a MAJOR issue in this pos game.

My suggestion to you would be as follows:

Go out and get trial accounts on as many MMORPGs as you can. Not at the same time, get them serially so that you can give them each a chance.

Then compare AO to them.
    I've done that. Even with it's myriad flaws, it's still the best value for the money out there.
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

disagree

I play imported pc version of final fantasy xi online and there is no lag in that game at all.
    I got one lag spike since i played that game that is in the city of jeuno. where all the high up people go.
    in final fantasy clothing has weight and movement and amour moves and clinks when running . and you can blink and have facial animations all with no lag even in heavily poplated areas . I love that game ao is my 2nd game now

not sure the total number of people playing but fc servers imo do very well most games like eq ac etc have 10 servesr to play on where as ao has 2 + 1 no one ever talks about

why not have fc put in the cross server code where we can jump to rk2 with our main chars on rk1 like they talked about oh so long ago but then again they would probalby **** something up and when you moved your char over it would get deleted but it would spread things out a little bit mroe and hopefully cut down on the lag and let us meet some of our redneck rk2 forum friends
    BettyRoss (A) dont ever turn yer back on a shady motha backstab4lyfe
    Gwend (A) The original complete healing engineer
    wtts :: prof ring quests

the "i dont need punctuation" army

Re: disagree

Originally posted by Biowoman
    I play imported pc version of final fantasy xi online and there is no lag in that game at all.
    That's good, but that's not what I've heard from people who are playing/have played it.

Aside from the lag issue, keep in mind that in order to play Final Fantasy XI, you will need to have a PS2 network adapter, something that has been in short supply for awhile. From what I have heard, one of the ways that Sony will control lag is by limiting just how many adapters are out on the market.

Yes, FF XI will eventually be on the PC. However, that isn't scheduled for release anytime soon if I remember correctly. They will run it on the PS2 for as long as they can afford to before switching to the PC market.

I also don't think there was any guarantee that the PC version would ever appear in the US, but I haven't checked lately.
    Capacitor, the device - a device which collects and stores electricity.
    Capacitor, the Fixer - a Opifex who collects and stores visits to Reclaim.

-||-

one reason

guess one reason i get less lag spikes in ffxi is because i have a beefy pc
    vpr matrix
    processor (tweaked and overclocked from 2.66 ghz to 3.109)
    memory 512 ddr
    graphics card invidia g4 128 mb
    highspeed nic for broadband
    pc still chokes like hell on ao though
    even with lower textures and all
    oh wel I'll still play both and be happy .
    I have a white mage in game there and doc here.
    guess I like healing folks.

Getting some graphics lag is not surprising with your setup, but...something seems wrong if you're getting that much trouble. Here's my setup:

2.2 ghz P4
    Geforce 4 ti4600 (128 mb)
    1.5 gb RAM
    Cable Modem

I get some stuttering in crowded areas and certain of the "lag happy" sections of the game, but not what you seem to be describing. I haven't lowered any of the default settings either.
    Capacitor, the device - a device which collects and stores electricity.
    Capacitor, the Fixer - a Opifex who collects and stores visits to Reclaim.

-||-

I have a cople of tips for you folks with "lag"

DEFRAGMENT your HDD.
    consider getting a second drive if you dont have one already, and try to put AO on the D Drive, along with the windows swap file..
    Yeah, AO and the swap on D.

make the swap size a "fixed" size, for example 500mb, by setting the min/max size to 500mb.

this will help a LOT, I have just spend a good cople of hours defragging and moving stuff around, and it helps

and I have "only" a amd tbird 1.4ghz, 512mb ram and a Gforce 4 TI card..
    but if I put AO and the swapfile on C, things lag like crazy.....

so folks, defrag and move

remember, you can have the fastest PC on earth, but with slow HDD's it'll still lag like crazy..
    RETIRED:Cassondra "Hotsy" Magistrale, Proud General of OPEC
    And a gazillion other chars

Member of the Grumpy Old Crat Bunch
    Bureaucrats, Broken as intended
    Chilled:The crat community.. bitter but entirely supportive, kind of like coffee.
    P.S. i didn't proof read this, or check for spelling, I wouldn't want to Nerf my post by actually Fixing the problems.

This post is fucntioning "As Intended" that means i don't have to fix any problems with it. (Snipped from pooncrat).

Re: one reason

Originally posted by Biowoman
    guess one reason i get less lag spikes in ffxi is because i have a beefy pc
    vpr matrix
    processor (tweaked and overclocked from 2.66 ghz to 3.109)
    memory 512 ddr
    graphics card invidia g4 128 mb
    highspeed nic for broadband
    pc still chokes like hell on ao though
    even with lower textures and all
    oh wel I'll still play both and be happy .
    I have a white mage in game there and doc here.
    guess I like healing folks.
    Stats are comperable to mine.. hmm...

Tell me, if you know, is there anyway to have the game do a
    language change to english? I think PSO 1/2 did that, at least in
    windows XP? That, and I don't speak japanese.. ::Sob!::

I'd love to import that and give it a try.. looks schweet. If it's
    actually not too hard to get ahold of and play, I'd import it, myself.

yes in

xp you have to adjust language under regional settings.
    I'll to post a link to the final fantasy site where you can get all types of info im on there also as tazirai
    you can read my journals with pics.

but it is a great game and the japanese are so nice , they even try to talk japlish to you .
    japlish:a mixture of english and japanese kinda of a slangy broken tongue used by young folks.
    if you get on ffxi im riesa on ramuh server.
    i'll get you in my linkshell(guild)
    here is link to the ffxi post
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...28#post1051628
    Last edited by Biowoman; Jan 20th, 2003 at 08:05:55.

Hate to break it to you FFXI kiddies, but while the game may play OK on the PC, guaranteed you'll be suffering on a PS2... that system just isn't able to handle an MMOG, I mean, c'mon... imagine playing AO with 32 MB of RAM?

Otherwise I guess I'm just trolling.
    Intenseheat: Omni MA, ph33r teh ub3r l337
    Preeminence: Omni crat - hopelessly gimped - lost 180K IP trying to reset skills - ph33r teh ub3r t33th
    Omniwins: Omni soldier, always winning

I'm just an ass that happens to be smart.

yeah, but...

Originally posted by Hotsy
    I have a cople of tips for you folks with "lag"
    Those are great suggestions, but the lag that most of us suffer from has absolutely nothing to do with our machines. It's server lag that's killing this game... It's not the local PC's in most instances. It's the fact that there is just too much happening in a given area for FC's servers to process everything and send appropriate info out to all the clients in a reasonable time frame.

actually, most of the lag people suffer is pc side, not server side. Funcom are still to "blame" for writing a game that really needs specs MUCH higher than they seem willing to admit, but most of the lag is to do with either peoples computers, or the internet between the person or funcom.

Hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance