Thread: Changes

Thryll

Changes

Many things need to be changed. None of us would deny that. There are things that are still new to me. My history with MMORPG though has taught me a number of things, as well as my long history in developing interfaces.

Disclaimer: I know that some of these have probably been addressed but the manual and other documents do not readily describe them. I also know there are only so many ppl on the development team, but after reading the FAQ I concluded AO was using that as an excuse instead of as a catalyst to fixes.

I would recommend that you make all mappings for keyboard controls changeable. For instance, let us reconfigure the auto-run, etc keys. It is sort of silly to restrict it and let us bind other commands.

The tab key doesn't seem to be the best key for targetting. Might want to change that to something more realistic.

Remove the requirement to use the mouse for any activity. The mouse control should be optional.

The looking up and down should be controllable by the keyboard not solely by the mouse.

The chat box should be moveable and sizeable. It should allow me also to change the chat colors and tex size.

The title bars of the inactive collapsed windows is red on black. Some color blind people have great difficulty reading that. You need to make it white on black. The active one should be yellow on black.

On a side note: the cloud patterns don't change. Seems sort of silly to make a persistent world where the clouds are static and only the sound effects and lightning is added (for storms).

When turning around and watching the screen the whole thing gives a tunnel vision sort of effect. This is wrong, flat out. If you turn RL there's no tunnel vision effect so there shouldn't be one in the game. I have a gforce 4 ti 128mb 8x asus video card. I'm not talking about defects in coding, just conceptually the way it is setup is wrong.

That whole patch process, even on a cable modem connection, is just plain wrong. I sat for a very long time waiting for the patches to continue. A patch should patch it all at once, not 20 times. Take it for what it is worth. Don't force me to patch more then once. Do it all at once and get it over with. A new player would want to see the game right away, not 1 hour after beginning the patch process. BTW, don't attribute it to my computer or my connection. I'm talking about the sheer number of prompts for patching.

When I ask for the time it would be nice if the time was presented in my time-zone.

When /telling ppl it would be nice to have /t work. The shortcut of "t" would be nice too

When replying to people it would be nice to type "r" and have it reply.

A much easier method of switching chat channels or addressing chat channels would be nice. For instance, the newbe neutral channel requires alot of typing if you don't select it as the main chat. But there will be times when I need to talk in multiple channels and to multiple people and would prefer to not have to type out long channel names or be forced to use the mouse to select a new default channel.

Actions need to be much more responsive. For instance, when I stand up I should be able to run right away instead of having the game sit there till I hit the run key again (if I am quick on my actions). It gets annoying. When you are attacked your normal reaction is to stand and run. That means fast reflexes, which I have. It is a big annoyance when I am trying to run and haven't started even though I have hit the run key.

The target health bar should be moveable. I'd like to move it right above my chat window so I can see the mob health while I am chatting.

My own health bar and the health of my groupmembers should be moveable also, so I can see everyone's health relative to the mob and any chatting I'm doing such as "move the mob here or stop attacking or let the pet tank it or run for your lives". It is very important that I be able to react to the situation. In RL it is done with voice but in a game such as this it is a chat and I must read and react and that reaction has to be based off the circumstances surrounding me. Therefore I need those pieces of information in proximity to one another on the screen.

I should be able to adjust the resolution of the game while in the game. I couldn't find anything that allowed me to adjust the screen resolution.

Are there really only 3 worlds (servers)? I would have thought that by now there would be a large number of servers that players play on. How can a game get game of the year and have such a tiny player population?

On another side note: I'd really like to know what the high end is like in AO. What is the actual goal? Is it PvP? Seige warfare? Is it about conquering planets and taking over the galaxy? Is it about killing uber mobs for uber items? After quite a bit of reading on the rather confusing web site I was not able to actually ascertain the purpose behind actually playing. I know that mmorpgs typically don't have a final phase of the game as I have played other mmorpgs for the past 4 years. I'm just looking for what is the raison d'etre.

And as I am not an emploee of Funcom, I'll let them answer this...

...don't hold your breath though.

(Psst! Funcom! Hire me! I'm insane enough to enjoy dealing with this stuff)

you can re-map almost every key you want to.

chat colors can be changed.. from what I have read.. although they default back everytime you log in or something.. I haven't played with changing the chat colors myself.

title bars in windows are based on your personal settings.. change them on your own if you wish.

tunnel vision? can't help you there.. I have never experienced that.

they can't possibly keep the cdrom's up to date with every patch.. therefore, patching after install would have to happen.. If the patch process via the game is too slow.. then, go to the website and download it by itself..

time? put a clock next to your computer.. and since you are using window mode? minimize and check your computer clock..

you can map a key to your auto reply from a tell easily... make it "r" if you wish

it seems as if you don't like the gui they provide. i think that it is fine. the team health can all be viewed through the team window in your upper right corner.

what I do agree with in your post is the fact of the mouse look and turn. having to hold right click to move is awkward for most new people.. it was for me at least.. now i am quite used to it.. but sometimes in a hurry.. the right click doesn't always take and you don't move.. wish that would happen less.

there is information on the web about remapping your keys.. I don't have the time to explain the process right now. many of your points can be fixed by yourself.. it just takes playing the game and learning the quirks..

good luck and safe travels

Thryll
    Of those issues addressed by players...

I tried to remap the run key and it wouldn't let me. I also searched for a pan up and down from the first person view and couldn't find a keystroke--normally page up and down will adjust the up or down angle of the camera.

I saw that the chat colors could be changed but I couldn't find the option for changing the text size.

I saw no option for moving the windows except the hotbox widnow.

The time is an issue, as I am playing in the game I want to be able to type something like /time and have it tell me the time. Since they provide f9 for that instead I would like to have it tell me the correct time. My situation is one where I don't want to turn away from the screen and since the option for determining time is there it should tell it to me in my time zone. For that matter, just tell me the time that my computer's internal clock has. I don't necessarily need to know it in GMT.

I don't like aspects of the interface. I like some aspects but don't like others. Any interface that requires mouse activity is not good, especially in mmorpg.

If they want to give mouse control as an alternative then that is fine. So that is where my comments come from. Being an interface designer I have layed out those things that would make it, at least initially, easier. The mouse look isn't new to me. It is used in almost all other fps type games including counterstrike. But the issue is with forcing the users to use the mouse. Many players wind up crossing their hands to use the mouse and move forward. Yes, there are keys on the other side of the keyboard for that but it is just an excuse as these other games have alternatives to keep you from crossing your hands on the keyboard, but it doesn't happen. Some keyboard equivalent would be recommended.

From my best memory you can't change the auto-run key. It had the option for changing the bindings of some keys but not that key (and several others). After reading the FAQ and guide and manual I must have missed the part about changing those unchangeable keys.

As for the tunnel affect. Yes, there is one. It is noticeable when you swing drammatically to the left or to the right. If you look at other graphical mmorpgs this isn't an issue, but it clearly is an issue with this game. "Tunnel vision" is the best term I could find to use. Some may describe it a bit different.

As for patching. I have played mmorpgs that patch every week. There's no reason for force me to be prompted for every patch on a new install. Just patch them all at once. So, when I do an install it scans for all patches and patches them at once and only prompts me, at most a couple of times. I was prompted at least 10 times (just for the prompt for patching) , and due to having to agree with the disclaimer and select the server and enter my name and password and then click login (or patch), I was prompted no less then 40 times.

I guess most of my comments stand strong. I think much of what I am asking are literally issues of weak interface design. I spent a great deal of time looking around in the options for hotkey bindings and found that much of the information was very difficult to read and since I couldn't move things around it made using the interface cumbersome. It isn't newness as I have played other mmorpgs for a very long time. I know the factors in dealing with a prompt interface one designed to allow me to react quickly without getting in my way.

Even so, I will look more into the interface keyboard bindings and check to see if I can change the color of the inactive status boxes (stats, group chats, etc). I do think that it would be best to have AO design the interface to be more open.

I'm only looking for ways to make the game more comfortable and to my liking instead of forcing me to adapt to them and their somewhat cumbersome design.

I'll give it some more time and if I don't find it acceptable and if no one is able to tell me the reason for the game (pvp, seige warfare, uber mob encounters, etc) then I'll move on after the trial period.

Create a script for /tell in your scripts directory it should be possible to have it be something like this

t (would be the name of the file, and the key)
    /tell %1

usage

/t bob

function

sends a tell to bob as if /tell bob were typed

I have had no troubles at all with remapping my keys. For the keys they don't give you the option to change.. yes.. It isn't easy for beginners to remap. It would be nice for them to give you a wider range of keys to map through the gui.

Like any game out there, patches are involved. AO patches far more than any other game I have ever seen. It doesn't really bother me at all to download a patch. If it was everyday.. I might have a problem. It only seems like it is everyday

I am not sure what level your character(s) are. Above 150, many things change in the game. You really start noticing how different it is when you hit 130+. Team missions become nothing but a tasmanian devil mowing of all the mobs, with very little chance of dying. The higher people get, the more they get involved with tradeskills, camping for nodrops, hunting around for rare items, and the NW phase of the game.

I don't like that the in game drop down windows take up too much of the screen (in my opinion). There are bugs with healthbars.. even to this day. Unless I am playing my MA.. I don't really watch the team health at all. I dont' play a doctor anymore.

I said before that I don't like the mouse movement, but I can live with it.

I haven't read anywhere that you can change the size of the text. It may be possible.. so I won't say it's not. Again, I play in window mode.. and the size of the text as related to my screen area are fine for me. I typically play 1280x1024.

Time.. heh... I happen to know my local time in relation to GMT. I do alot of traveling, so it comes easy to me. If i didn't have a clock by my computer, or my computer clock, I see how that would be a nice perk. It is not something that is so important that it is a must. GMT is good enough for me.

I haven't set an auto run key.. not sure if it is impossible. Hitting my chat key 2x to open and close while running is quick enough for me.

You can't please all the people, all of the time. Just a fact. I have gotten used to this gui.

BTW I wasn't flaming your opinions.. or saying they are weak. I was stating the fact that most of your problems can be fixed by learning how to remap your keys.

*edit* wanted to add.. If you go to the website.. you can take care of your download in one shot typically. Sometimes they haven't given a one shot patch from xx.x to xb.x, and it may take a couple.
    Last edited by Tangretti; Jan 17th, 2003 at 20:20:34.

Shift+R will do "reply" for you. So will /r.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Originally posted by Thryll

The time is an issue, as I am playing in the game I want to be able to type something like /time and have it tell me the time. Since they provide f9 for that instead I would like to have it tell me the correct time. My situation is one where I don't want to turn away from the screen and since the option for determining time is there it should tell it to me in my time zone. For that matter, just tell me the time that my computer's internal clock has. I don't necessarily need to know it in GMT.

Actually, if you intend to interact with other players, you DO need to know it in GMT, because that is the standard everyone uses. As you mentioned, there are ONLY 3 servers, and therefore players from EU, US and Japan, share the servers with each other. If I told people in my guild to meet me in Mort at 9pm, they would automatically assume that it's 2100 GMT, and so there would be no confusion, since you can always check it by pressing F9. If they couldn't do that, they would have to figure out GMT on their own (or CET, which is my time zone), which leaves a lot more room for confusion

But hey, it's still a good point, how hard would it be to make the F9 key display YOUR time zone too?

Unfortunately I think you will find that compared to the lag, CC, rubberbanding, black doors, prof balancing and general bugs, GUI tweaking and re-mapping keys will most likely not be deemed important enough, by either FC or most of the players themselves, to actually fix anytime soon. I know I would be furious if I heard they spent time and resources on key re-mapping issues, rather than find a way for me to NOT warp around in a mission I'm trying to blitz.

But I totally agree, GUI and keyboard functionality could be better, although I find practice has made me able to do almost a whole team BS mission without using the keyboard at all, and so I do not personally have any real issues with it.
    Last edited by Revelator; Jan 18th, 2003 at 01:37:54.
    Reverend Revelator Ramagano, Proud Something of Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega: Fighting For Your Future, Today

No, I'm not back.

How embarrassing, after all these years it turns out I CAN'T spell **ncom with an F and a U, talk about egg on my face eh?