Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cz, Re:Area swapping in land control

Cz, Re:Area swapping in land control

Cz wrote:
    Area swapping in land control
    We're aware of several organizations regularly terminating and rebuilding controllers to continously keep an area's suppression gas at 100%, and even some organizations swapping on who owns the area, to the same effect.

This is not intended at all. It is considered an exploit, and we're working on a code fix for it.

More about the code fix later, but for now, please note that this is considered an exploit, and you risk both suspension and disbanding of your organization upon doing this.
    Will this affect selling and buying land?

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Finally its considered an exploit. So annoying and lame when guilds does it.
    "Should start a combined raid/NW bot, where people get points if they help take down a clan base. Should be most effective." - Said by Waikase 14th of May 2003 in sarcasm to the appearance of the first raidbots on Rk1.

Well I hope they don't confuse swapping the control to keep it at 100% and swapping the controller to change the 25% gas time to a period where your guild can defend it.

~aqua
    Last edited by Aqua; Jan 17th, 2003 at 18:16:35.
    Kappen Token Trader of Project EDEN LV 217 mind numbing grinding since 1948 well it just seems that long!!!!!

Playing a Trader is like cyber S&M

---------
    "if you dont die in mass pvp your not doing it right"

But it's currently the only way to adjust the gas timer so that your members are actually online to defend.

Most guilds don't have 20 people on all day.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

There would be a difference betwen doing it once to get a workable 25% slot, and doing it repeatedly to avoid the 25% slot altogether. One is reasonable, the other clearly an exploit. Lets hope the code fix doesn't prevent both, or if it does, an alternative mechanism to set the desired 25% slot is put in place at the same time.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

I'd rather a new method. Like, a one-time-only /tower timereset command to use while targeting the controller.

It re-starts the gas cycle... with the 25% period beginning when it's issued. Can only be used by advisor/general level or leader, and can't be used when the shields are disabled.

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Originally posted by Jynne
    I'd rather a new method. Like, a one-time-only /tower timereset command to use while targeting the controller.

It re-starts the gas cycle... with the 25% period beginning when it's issued. Can only be used by advisor/general level or leader, and can't be used when the shields are disabled.
    Of course shouldn't be able to be done if shield has been disabled.
    "Should start a combined raid/NW bot, where people get points if they help take down a clan base. Should be most effective." - Said by Waikase 14th of May 2003 in sarcasm to the appearance of the first raidbots on Rk1.

Arrow

Please keep in mind that some orgs may use this to pass control of land area to another org of the same alignment.

Don't nerf this ability by fixing the exploit. Maybe come up with some other command to pass control of a piece of land. Sometimes an ord with 4 bases might want to give a new one to an org with zero -- it just makes sense.

Don't get me wrong though, I think this is stupid and should be fixed. I'm just thinking about the possible repercussions.
    Katelin Arinia Rhees
    Level 220 Enforcer
    Former Enforcer Professional
    Former President of the late Midnight Reveries
    Account Created: 2001-10-08; Account Expired: 2005-02-19

Maybe just allow the controller in a particular land control area to be terminated no more than once a week.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

Once a week sounds good, just reset that timer if the base changes sides.

Although.... they'll just make a noob org to work around that too :-/
    Katelin Arinia Rhees
    Level 220 Enforcer
    Former Enforcer Professional
    Former President of the late Midnight Reveries
    Account Created: 2001-10-08; Account Expired: 2005-02-19

Only way of getting a base should be by fighting for it.. all other ways should be Exploit..

If an org takes down a CT.. then that side shouldent be aloud too build at all..

Tho when u build u should be able too set the timer as u whant...

Please fix the exploit but don't give us a bad quick fix that make it impossible to give away bases or change 25% cycle to a time that suit guild better.
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

Good ideas, folks. I'll bring it up with the designers next week.

However, I fear there might be too little time to work any of them into the fix immediately, so the system might become 100% rigid first, then ease up a bit when we get time to do more on it. Depends a bit on whether we push this to 14.7.8 or 14.8, I guess.

Originally posted by Cz
    Good ideas, folks. I'll bring it up with the designers next week.

However, I fear there might be too little time to work any of them into the fix immediately, so the system might become 100% rigid first, then ease up a bit when we get time to do more on it. Depends a bit on whether we push this to 14.7.8 or 14.8, I guess.
    So it's an exploit to give away a base now?

If it's not done exactly when it goes 100%.

I think you need to think that over abit more, this only promote people to ninja bases after 1 is taken down because if the guild that should have the spot can't place right away(and no other guild can hold spot) everyone can just stand there and spam build button.

FC don't need to be stupid now, if you see that someone doing this for several days, then they should take action ofcourse, but not just because someone giving base away or changing 25% cycle(will never need to change CT later than 24hours after first is placed)
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

Originally posted by Jynne

ok I agree it would be stupid to do it when the sheilds are down but why make it so you can't, to guard people from their own stupidity or am I missing something. If you reset it while your shields are down that means your in 25% or 5% already so that would mean you would go through the whole 6 hour cycle again with your shield down.

I suggest a simular command somewhere around here /tower cycle or somthing its a good idea.

~aqua
    Kappen Token Trader of Project EDEN LV 217 mind numbing grinding since 1948 well it just seems that long!!!!!

---------

Originally posted by Aqua

ok I agree it would be stupid to do it when the sheilds are down but why make it so you can't, to guard people from their own stupidity or am I missing something. If you reset it while your shields are down that means your in 25% or 5% already so that would mean you would go through the whole 6 hour cycle again with your shield down.

I suggest a simular command somewhere around here /tower cycle or somthing its a good idea.

~aqua
    I mean that they can't do it while the shields are disabled by a shield disabler (ie they are under attack).

The main reason for that being the high chance that it would end up being exploitably bugged somehow.

add a status message like when a tower get attacked

"the clan organization WeBeCheating just detroyed their own base in Clon**** at (444 555) 0 hours and 3 minutes before it went to 25%"

then we can also monitor who is doing it repeatedly

also, a base-being-built message

"the clan organization WeAlsoBeCheating just built a base in Clon**** at (444 555)"
    Last edited by Beaker; Jan 17th, 2003 at 19:10:46.
    original author of Helpbot

I think that they are talking about continued use of this tactic, not a once off transfer from one guild to another.

If it was to happen say three days running and so forth that would be the time to act, or every weekend maybe (as weekends are the most likely time to be attacked)
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

Originally posted by Beaker
    add a status message like when a tower get attacked

"the clan organization WeBeCheating just detroyed their own base in Clon**** at (444 555) 0 hours and 3 minutes before it went to 25%"

then we can also monitor who is doing it repeatedly

also, a base-being-built message

"the clan organization WeAlsoBeCheating just built a base in Clon**** at (444 555)"
    I dont like that idea simply because when i am once again trying to change the cycle time of my base I have just annouced

"Hey all come and try to nija my base away from me"

~aqua

---------

another view

FC could just spam themselves with msgs indicating this. I suppose they already have or will have a way to track it soon. Announcing it to the whole server would serve little purpose since it could be used to grief. Besides, it's not like FC is going to take one org's word over another without some hard proof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast