Thread: Lysistrata

Lysistrata

Well, it's worked a few times in history, what about in 29476?

How about it girls (and "girls")?

Lysistrata, a comedy by Greek dramatist Aristophanes (c. 447 - c. 385 b.c.e.), tells the story of a group of women from opposing states who unite to end the Peloponnesian War.

After matronly stormtroopers take over the building where public funds are kept, the women rise to end the war by withholding sex from their mates -- Until, desperate for intimacy, the men finally agree to lay down their swords and see their way to achieving diplomatic peace.

http://www.pecosdesign.com/lys/about.html

"Well Susan, I think I can answer your question, easily. War is a man's domain, plain and simple. Women are too compassionate for war, and FAR too ruthless."
    "Ignorance is the greatest evil we will ever face" . -Dr. James Cone, ca 1990 CE

Available for Weddings, Mediations, Treaties, Celebrations, and Hugs...
    Neutrals come join #neutrality on irc.funcom.com! Everyone welcome.
    Counseling available by appointment-Priestess Cathryn Ardman
    Cat's Closet

Favourite Chat Colours: 250 200 250, try it!
    I am an adventurer, of COURSE I like going camping! :P

OMG! There is SEX in this game!!?? WHERE?
    Reverend Revelator Ramagano, Proud Something of Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega: Fighting For Your Future, Today

No, I'm not back.

How embarrassing, after all these years it turns out I CAN'T spell **ncom with an F and a U, talk about egg on my face eh?

Re: Lysistrata

Originally posted by Catalyste
    ..., the women rise to end the war by withholding sex from their mates...
    Too many wankers in the game for that to work.
    Turchin - Fat Crat member of Illuminati.

The concept is interesting, although I'm unsure what path you and interested parties would be taking in-game to try and effect this. I believe you aren't planning to take the idea at face value...

Good luck, and here's my bump for your proposition.
    Capacitor, the device - a device which collects and stores electricity.
    Capacitor, the Fixer - a Opifex who collects and stores visits to Reclaim.

-||-

So, what you're saying is women are too weak to fight in this war, and have been sitting quietly at home, giving the males sex.

Futhermore you throw out this deranged idea that through sex, peace can be achieved.

Well ma'am, it's a good thing I've avoided getting married so far, as I don't only intend to continue this war, I intend to finish it, even if I have to fight all by myself while everyone is having sex.

I'm fairly certain that is not the intent. I think the original poster is trying to stress the "group of women from opposing states who unite" part of the story. You know, as in get ladies from both Omni and Clan to work together to try and end the whole war?

I think you also missed the 'matronly stormtroopers' part of the original story. Matrons are female, and stormtroopers do not sound to me like weak women.
    Capacitor, the device - a device which collects and stores electricity.
    Capacitor, the Fixer - a Opifex who collects and stores visits to Reclaim.

-||-

Dammit all the Atrox are holding out again

Interesting idea, tho I dont think it will fly, you know the men will cave in within 5 seconds, or get more excited by the idea of stormtroopers with leather whips.

Haiiro all I have to say is that is one of the funniest statements I have ever seen in my life, dont ever put a picture with it

Jagdtyger
    Vampiira

Since you conveniently started the thread, I'll give you something more to think about:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Theatre Artists of the World Unite !!
    THEATRICAL PEACE PROTEST --
    Simultaneous LYSISTRATA readings around the world!

On Monday, March 3rd, 2003, theatre artists from around the planet will raise a collective voice for peace by producing readings of the Ancient Greek play, LYSISTRATA in order to:

- Let the Bush Administration know that we oppose their war on Iraq.
    - Offer events where citizens can unite to enjoy an evening of spirited, comedic theatre while raising public awareness about the volume of war opposition.
    - Provide a humorous entree into a healthy community dialogue: What CAN we do on a local level to stop "diplomacy by violence" in our world?
    - Raise money for organizations that work for peace and human rights.

Forward this email to EVERYONE you know across the THEATRICAL world. We'd love to see readings done by universities, regional theatres, and community groups in every country.

Readings are in the works for NYC; Burlington, VT; Seattle, WA; Austin, TX; Milwaukee, WI; Vienna, Austria; and more are popping up internationally as word spreads. Take Tangible Action Be a Spearhead! Produce a public reading of Lysistrata in your community. It's easier than you might think. For details, go to:
    http://www.LysistrataProject.com/

SYNOPSIS:
    Aristophanes' Lysistrata tells the story of a group of women from opposing states who unite to end the Peloponnesian War by withholding sex from their men. This Greek classic provides a humorous and timely vehicle into a community dialogue about conflict resolution through negotiation, rather than violent domination.
    -------------------------------------------

Anyone interested in a staged reading in game? Might be an interesting opportunity.

Originally posted by Jaesic
    Since you conveniently started the thread, I'll give you something more to think about:

Anyone interested in a staged reading in game? Might be an interesting opportunity.
    Hmm, since both our links go to the same site, I am not sure what the something is, unless it meant the reading in game...but it is a possibility...the reason i posted this was partly because of the project itself and the plans that were to happen back on earth in march
    "Ignorance is the greatest evil we will ever face" . -Dr. James Cone, ca 1990 CE

Available for Weddings, Mediations, Treaties, Celebrations, and Hugs...
    Neutrals come join #neutrality on irc.funcom.com! Everyone welcome.
    Counseling available by appointment-Priestess Cathryn Ardman
    Cat's Closet

Favourite Chat Colours: 250 200 250, try it!
    I am an adventurer, of COURSE I like going camping! :P

Originally posted by Catalyste

Hmm, since both our links go to the same site, I am not sure what the something is, unless it meant the reading in game...but it is a possibility...the reason i posted this was partly because of the project itself and the plans that were to happen back on earth in march
    /me blinks. Hmm... don't I feel sheepish

Several of us in the U. of South Dakota theatre dept. are probably going to stage a reading... the discussion at the moment is how far we want to go with the 'staging' part. Not sure how exactly we could go about doing a reading ingame... be very cool if we could do something with a voice pack. even with scripts set up, it could get pretty slow as text transmission.