Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AO best mmorpg 2002 form Jive magazine LOL

At time of release this game was criminally defective. An unabashed exploitation of consumer confidence in a "finished product" released for retail sales.

I have never been so appalled, infuriated, disappointed in a product I have purchased. If this game sets the standard for playabilty at release, what a travesty. It was sheer fraud.

Why am I here? Well, to me 12 bucks a month is nothing. 2 shots and a nice tip to the barmaid, no big deal. Also I had other games to play while paying customers suffered for me.

AO is my 2 am booty call, nothing I really like, but when bored always available.

If you sense anger, it comes not from the defective product, but from the response, or rather lack of response from those responsible. I have old posts on this, no need to repeat myself.

I just found Darkbanes post so naive that the hair on the back of my neck stood up, I suffered flashbacks from July 01, I bled into my stomach. The CS department is the nidus from which all antipathey has developed.

Had they understood communication, the attitude of players would have been: Yes, the product has major problems, but WE( Funcom and the players) will work together to solve these problems, and not "What the f**k are these retards doing now!?"

Please note that I am not talking AT ALL about profession balance or NERFING, these topics are unsolvable for all, and my sympathies to Funcom for having to figure out which whines are real and which are crap(99%).

So if AO wins game of the year, it only tells me that it is the most well formed ball of feces in a big load of crap.

Consumers, never let a game be released as this one. The success of this game indicates the the means justifiy the end. Yes, we can play it now just fine, just we killed alot of paying guinea pigs along the way.
    "So shines a good deed in a weary world."

Oh, let me see... a year and a half ago... things have actually changed somewhat you know...

I didn't buy it at launch as I'd seen the problems from beta4. 6 month later I start an account and its a lot better though I still got disconnects and crashes. 6 months after that the only major problems were client lag and server lag in crowded areas (and occasional strange lag spikes). Sadlly, I'm not expecting things to be much different in another 6 months unless FC have been re-writing the client in secret for Shadowlands.

And CS has improved quite a bit over that time too. Still could do better of course.

So do stop living in the past, yes it was bad, yes it should never have been launched in the state it was in, but it was, it happened. If you had instead started playing now, you'd likely be quite impressed.

Until a truely next-gen MMORPG is launched, AO is as good as it gets...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Darkbane,

I'm sorry, my post resulted from what welled up in me after reading the thread. Your experience has been different from mine. I am not here to take a shot at you.

Sorry, if you felt I was attacking you.

The present is build upon the past. It is true that if I bought the game today I would be impressed, but upon the backs of how many disappointed and exploited paying customers did this present state of the game come to be?

That is the point. Do you want SWG to take this long to be stable and playable, or should it be that way off the shelf. I never want to see dung like this marketed as a retail product.

I understand that this may be a unique type of game development due to so many variables, but this should be adequately documented on the display box. Imagine if cars were released in the experimental stage, but you were not told.

Please don't tell me to research things before buying. Do I need to read about toothpaste, canned soup, and the freshness of meat before going to the store and throwing those things in my cart? A retail product should be tested and fully functional, period.
    "So shines a good deed in a weary world."

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sohjiro

Originally posted by Piercingevil

P
    E
    R
    V

Piercingevil! What are you doing spinning in my lap!!!
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

TheDeacon's got a lot of spinning going on!

Good Game. I dig it.
    ~Heaven just isn't hot enough, Burn me a light inside. Living my life's not hard enough, Take everything Away.~

I am a Neutral Evil Human Fighter Thief : Follower Of Cyric

Cool

hobbes, that's ok, no hard feelings

I doubt SWG will have as many problems at launch (I also severly doubt it will have none) - its a simple matter of cash, Sony/Verant/Lucasarts have a lot to be able to tie up in such a project before getting returns and can afford the polish time, FC I suspect were all but out of development funds when they launched. Cold hard economics. Which is why so many games are buggy at launch. And that sad fact is why it is usually worthwhile doing a bit of research before buying a game (I've been caught out too, though not in this case).

Your pain in the early days was the price of getting this game to where it is. We may not like it, but until it's about something other than the money, we are going to have to live with it.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

In my opinion this is the best MMORPG of the year, I played UO for 4 years, i came here 8 months ago, i LOVE AO.. Im a hardcore gamer with no life, clocking about 15+ hours a day on weekends, 7+ weekdays, The game when i came was pretty buggy, nothing vital except the first day of a new patch, I liked that It was an immerse world, growing, SOOOO many people (though I knwo some feel like youve met everyone, I do)

Concerning CS, They imo are nut jobs, I was banned for a month at one point for reasons proven differently by my lawyer( Had to call someone in to save me from a AO withdrawel) Because they got confused, mixed up or whatever.. they eventually droped it and a few encopunters with CS werent too bad..

In a broad spectrum, this is THE PINACLE of online gaming.. at the time. Yes, I agree that AO is the best MMORPG of the year.. just watch out for SWG.

Originally posted by hobbes

The present is build upon the past. It is true that if I bought the game today I would be impressed, but upon the backs of how many disappointed and exploited paying customers did this present state of the game come to be?
    Funny... I've been here since launch and I feel neither disappointed nor exploited. In fact, I very much enjoy looking back on my time in AO.

Of course the game was in a terrible state back then and of course it's still buggy. But the bottom line is: we're paying to have fun. And that must mean that the people still playing the game are still having fun.

This is not an "if you don't like it, leave"-post; I truly wonder why people continue to play a game that they seem to loathe. Lighten up and don't let it get to you.
    Last edited by Mharc; Jan 19th, 2003 at 23:04:14.
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

I've tried many mmorpgs and this one still is best. Doesnt mean I'm looking for a new one and it doesnt mean I love all parts of AO, but hey, its the best currently for me!

My friend tried AC2, but as many mmorpgs it was too quiet there, not much players. At least in AO its very busy, a reason for me to play this game.

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

Yeah I'm back, no need to ask your ebay-check questions

Originally posted by Videlle
    In my opinion this is the best MMORPG of the year, I played UO for 4 years, i came here 8 months ago, i LOVE AO.. Im a hardcore gamer with no life, clocking about 15+ hours a day on weekends, 7+ weekdays, The game when i came was pretty buggy, nothing vital except the first day of a new patch, I liked that It was an immerse world, growing, SOOOO many people (though I knwo some feel like youve met everyone, I do)
    Wow. That coming from an Engineer. Amazing.
    =]
    - Ignorance should be painful

Sohjiro Founder and Advisor of Synergy Factor
    Gimp Adventurer Extraordnaire.

SF Tshirts
    But in the end, they're still nothing more than video games My wife's experiment and journey into the addictiveness of Anarchy Online.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12