Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Making LOTS of money as a new player

Hey.

Of course, I'm not saying being obnoxious is excused as long as you're begging. I'm rather pointing out that if you have tons of cash, not giving a newb a few thousand creds is rather up tight.
    Of course, if the person asking you behaves like you owe him something, that's wrong. Still, it seems most people think that just asking is damned obnoxious and often ignore'em after they've served the question. I don't give creds to people who treat me like a ****, but at least I don't consider them asking me is an insult.

And yes, this is a game, so it's not real money. You have very little use for the money in AO compared to the ones you've got to support yourself with. And high levelers don't really have much to spend it on.

And, also as said, there is a *damned* lot of money going around in the higher levels nowadays. In my opinion, I have no qualms with sharing my creds with others, even if they are strangers .. As long as they have a need for it. I think others should too ..

My post was not intended as a personal assault on you or anyone else, Deacon. It was largely meant as criticism to the many millionaires who cling to their money like crazed. And yes, it's a lot more effort putting out this guide than giving someone 50 thousand creds. You can't blame me for some beggar not wanting to read it.

And yes, maybe Bill Gates should spend more money on others. There are a lot of people in the world he can help and have.

Of course, that's just my point of view. Sadly, I understand a lot don't share it.

Great Article

Deacon the article is great.

I just wanted to add the following. Vagabond cloaks are selling good. The sad part is that many new players don't know this. And they are really easy to get.

One idea that works. Start that new character omni and hunt in the subway till you have a couple of VV cloaks. Then sell them and use the cash to buy omni med suits( 3 VV cloaks gets enough cash for 33 med suits). Then u can go clan. Med suits are bringing 50k a pop( 33 x 50k = 1.65mil ). This is good starting cashing for someone that wants to play clan side for the life of the toon. Should make level 1 to 50 enjoyable not wanting for cash. All this prior to level 10. So once u are clan you can pull missions for concrete cushions.

Also it is worth it in the long run to spend a week at level 10 pulling concrete cushions. In a week of play time you should be able to get at least 6 sets. That is another cool 2 to 3 mil depending on the day.

Again a great article.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Thanks a lot for this guide TheDeacon.

For a couple of days i just blitzed missions for the Quartz rifle(and knocked down a few omni towers) and now i can afford myself a nice yalm.

Bump!

Thedeacon Representing Tradeskillz Finest!

Awesome post bro .. you the man!
    Seb Member of Arion

Originally posted by Foul Ole Ron
    Hey.

Of course, I'm not saying being obnoxious is excused as long as you're begging. I'm rather pointing out that if you have tons of cash, not giving a newb a few thousand creds is rather up tight.
    Of course, if the person asking you behaves like you owe him something, that's wrong. Still, it seems most people think that just asking is damned obnoxious and often ignore'em after they've served the question. I don't give creds to people who treat me like a ****, but at least I don't consider them asking me is an insult.

And yes, this is a game, so it's not real money. You have very little use for the money in AO compared to the ones you've got to support yourself with. And high levelers don't really have much to spend it on.

And, also as said, there is a *damned* lot of money going around in the higher levels nowadays. In my opinion, I have no qualms with sharing my creds with others, even if they are strangers .. As long as they have a need for it. I think others should too ..

My post was not intended as a personal assault on you or anyone else, Deacon. It was largely meant as criticism to the many millionaires who cling to their money like crazed. And yes, it's a lot more effort putting out this guide than giving someone 50 thousand creds. You can't blame me for some beggar not wanting to read it.

And yes, maybe Bill Gates should spend more money on others. There are a lot of people in the world he can help and have.

Of course, that's just my point of view. Sadly, I understand a lot don't share it.
    Well bro, you may be of the "i'm lazy, gimme credz plz" mentality, but I believe hard work rewards itself.

I added up all the rifle and cushion money I seen made since this guide came out, taking the info from the forums and from in game tells that people gave me and I added up over 20 million credits have been made in one week. And that's only the sales I know about. Your argument is totally non existant.

Jesus, I wish I could make this kind of cash in real life!
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

thanks alot man, very useful guide. Keep this one at the top.

=)

Hi All!

I just wanted to share my few thoughts with you. I have played AO something like 6 months for now and... YES... I have a few Chars who have few nice items and enough creds to buy things.

I have lately started a few new alts and noticed that if I give money to them in beginning from my other alts, it just does not feel right... what I mean is that if I have survived first 20-30 levels and suffered because of lack of money and IP's and armors and weapons and NCU's etc. I have grown up together with this char and likely will come back to play with it.

Later it is nice to get some help from my alts and change stuff, but I think then it is what this game is all about, you give something to your alt you get something back...

For example when my L60 doc found the PPPE and was able to help my L112 agent with some credz... so this does not mean always that the helper is a high level uber Killing/Blitzing machine.

If I want to help someone in game I usually try to do somekind of deal... here is few examples:

1. I met totally new player (agent) who had troubles to do damage and because I had a ql10 Gripo in my bag, I sold it to him for 4k with some bullets (I had millions already then...)... and he had something like 5k, so now he got something what he needed, but needed to give something for it.

2. Yesterday I met L50 fixer and asked if she would like to buy a nice SMG from me... well she wanted, but did not have much creds to spend... So I made a deal that she can have the gun now, but she will deliver me a QL60 Agi/Sense armor set later.

I vote for hard work, because that makes this game so much fun!

* Vinfix - Tradeskillz & Friendly Smile *

My little army:

Atlantean: Vinfix - Winday - Moboca - Nodawn - Daicy

Rimor: Artzi - Bscar (both on long vacation)

Here's another success story for you, Deacon. I had an alt lying around, a lvl 10 enforcer, and got tired of blitzing with my main, so I decided to try him out during my day off. In about 10 hours I made 1.6 million pulling missions with the items listed above and selling them pretty cheaply. Not bad for a days work. Unfortunately he's now lvl 16 and can't pull QL 10 missions anymore, the hard part is NOT to level while doing this .

Question

Once again, thanks to Teh Deacon and all others that have contributed to the post for newbs like me.

Question though: I have read that people are able to exchange items/creds between their characters. How is this done? I noticed that my characters do not share the same bank account like in Lineage, so I'm just wondering how the swap is done.

Thanks for all the info,
    As always..
    Lost
    Rimor -
    DOSAttack
    Rincewindz

"There are no bad decisions.....it is the outcome that is regarded as good or bad." - Me

Knowledge is power...www.michaelmoore.com

Music

You need a middle man.
    Someone trustworthy for obvious reasons.

Basically, you get your char and trade the items you want to swap to the middle man. Then you log off and back on with the char you want to receive the items. All going well your middle man will be standing there and will open a trade window to give back all your items/cash.

Unless you have 2 seperate accounts theres no other way of doing it to my knowledge.

If you are on RK2 and looking for a trustworthy person to do a swap, look me up (/tell Superxferman or /tell Ulef).
    Firalon; Would you like a spanner in the works?

Nedax; Grazed knee is it?

A true diplomat knows how to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that he looks forward to the trip...

I'm a noob with this game and was very happy to find this guide. The Deacon - Thank you for taking the time to write it.

I just want to tell you what i could sell for, since asking for the recommended prices just got me comments I'd rather not repeat in public. It made me feel bad and I hope this can prevent others experiencing the same.

Following the guide got me a few cushions to sell. Continued to level my MA so i could take missions with that quartz rifle and earn more money :-)

Now this is on Rimor that I've been trying to sell items. Asking for prices mentioned in the guide just got me believing I'm a totally bloodsucking Mr. Scrooge for wanting those sums... Maybe I'm getting totally ripped off, although I don't think so after chatting with a few buyers.

I managed to sell for these prices:

Morphing Nanos, 10k - 20k

Concrete Cushions, 75k - 100k
    (Actually, my first sell got me 500k for a pair of cushions. Whomever you are, thank you!)

Quartz rifle, 175k - 350k

I Guess prices differs alot between Rimor and Atlantean...

Prices differ quite a bit. On Atlantean I could sell cushions for 4-500K a pair (offering them for 300K/pair got me three offers within 30 seconds) and Second-Hand Old English Trading Co pistols for 2-400K a pair. I also sold a Vagabond Cloak for 100K.

I also ran into a guy who was either the nicest person on Rubi-Ka or a total scammer. He offered to double my money, but I had to give it all to him first. Needless to say I didn't trust him, but I wonder if anyone else actually did...

Demand seems to have dropped too. I've been trying to sell cushions/Quartz rifles on Rimor all week and only managed two sales. I'm not even getting replies asking how much I want.

Thumbs up

That was a great post. As a Trader I was wondering how I was going to get the millions needed to get an armor crafting tool as well as the higher level nanos. I knew about the cushions, but not the other items thanks again for the information.

omg

hey deacon,just reporting my first million,at lvl 11!!!!
    cushions and CS rocks

thx for tha help

btw that million was in 4 hours
    Last edited by Xandathrii; Jan 23rd, 2003 at 00:21:20.
    Opsund 220/30 Ma
    Xandathrii 220/30 Enf
    Vekten 220/30 Doc

Lifdrasil 100/10 Eng

Retired General of Ascension, enjoying my elder days and the end of AO in The Asylum.(Currently of-world , but comming back soon(TM)
    Stop the inflation and madness, support my Tier 4 crusade

Last night I got my first 600k at level 10-11 (sold two pair of cushions). I am an absolute noob, and this will help feed my little trader. THEDEACON!, thanks a lot!

is it just me, or is this thread starting to sound like an advert, with the dodgy testimonials at the end?

Come on, own up thedeacon, how much did you pay these people to say all this?

seriously, good advice, now I have somewhere to direct people too when they ask me for money.

Hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Very nice post

I just wonder if Concrete Cushions will now overflood the market and go down in price

If possible I would concentrate on those rifles (+treatment). Almost every char I have already have cushions but I have only one of those riffles myself... would happily buy few more.

There is also one other, semi funny way of getting money. Its being creative and funny and not too obvious and its called *gasp* role-playing.

I usually love to role-play a bit at low levels just for the fun of it and I sometimes blush a bit when I find people that are extremely nice and want to give me cash/equipment without me even asking for them or surely, I asked for an old weapon...

By asking an old weapon (in rp way) the person I asked was sorry to say that he didnt have one but would like to instead give me money so I could buy stuff from shop... others went to bank and started digging all kinds of weird stuff Some more valuable than others.

I never really needed this kind of help but when someone responds to my rp that way, I dont want to spoilt their feeling telling that I am prolly more rich than they are but I _DO_ mark their names up and boy they have much easier time getting me to help them when they ask for it from my higher lvl char.

I also agree on Deacon that time is most valuable thing you can offer with knowledge.

I once helped newbie enforcer to get new weapons (bought them for him) and since he was so nice, I ended up buying him belt + ncu's + armor too and also gave 100k to boot (total cost around 250k and over 1 hour).

When he said that I gave him so much I replied that he really dont want to know how much that time it all took cost me.

The time I devoted to that once char I could have either:

a)

Leveled my char one level and gained about 500k-1M money.

b)

Blitzed money for around 5M worth.

So if you find a high level player (or any player) willing to devote their time and/or money to you, be sure to remember who they are and when you get lucky, perhaps you can pay back that kindness.

As an end note, I like playing my more unknown alts. You can really see how some people really are when you dont have that coveted guild name in your name... and I am always polite.

Sadly I have found few persons this way that are really rude to this no name alt but bend over backwards to help my big name chars. Now is that ass licking or is it just comardice toward equals?

Zarch and da chars

just made my 2nd million at lvl 11 !!

""I just wonder if Concrete Cushions will now overflood the market and go down in price""

im alilte scared about that 2, blitzing cushions is now very popular...lets just hope the markedprizes will hold abit longer...
    Opsund 220/30 Ma
    Xandathrii 220/30 Enf
    Vekten 220/30 Doc

Lifdrasil 100/10 Eng

Retired General of Ascension, enjoying my elder days and the end of AO in The Asylum.(Currently of-world , but comming back soon(TM)
    Stop the inflation and madness, support my Tier 4 crusade

Can high level players see the level 1-50 shopping channel? If not, we might have a problem getting in contact with our intended target group.

I sold a pair of cushions for 200k over this channel yesterday (Rimor), but I wonder if I would have gotten a bit more from a +100 level player - they should have a bit more money to spend afterall.

Guess I should just hang around in Omni-1 Trade and use the vicinity channel instead .

Anyway, thanks for the tip - I think I will fire up clicksaver again tonight before I level too far above 10.
    Cordell "Lhaen" Streller :: Omni Enforcer with a big warblade
    Tomas "Waeron" Vallegos :: Clan Adventurer, semi-retired until morph movement animation is fixed for wielders of two-handed weapons - or I decide to use up my IP reset points and go for pistols

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast