Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The only thing that actively kills me now...

The only thing that actively kills me now...

is LAG!

Grmmmmmblfmmm, Arrrrgh!!

I dont mind dying to superior players or firepower, but lag in CAV raids is unacceptable. Only Tara was worse when we had engis porting ppl in....

Grmmmmmf.

No wonder I get a CC warning, but it should read:

Beware, if you proceed your client will freeze up and you will be killed!

Legion
    Beartwo

and a whole litter of bearcubs ...

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -- Plato
    "You see me now, a soldier, of a 1000 psychic wars...." -- Blue Oyster Cult

Agree

BOB was under attack in CAV yesterday and I LD'd 6 times (4 of those times I died). I dont mind dying, but its just plain annoying to die when I LD. When the attack started I tried to engage a few clanners and what happend? LOL, I lagged my way towards the 20-30 clanners and died.

No, I'm not blaming anyone; because I attack clanners either they lag or not. I cant ask each clanner "Are you lagged?" before I attack.

And I'm sure this goes to everyone of us. Being clan/omni.

It's just sad that lag is ruining Mass-pvp. I enjoy it alot, but with this amount of lag it makes it hard.

Put lag aside and I must admit. Was fun at CAV yesterday. The fight didnt end quickly.

I know exactly what you mean and the lag is unbearable at times.

I have no idea what the specs are on your computer, but I have a P4 2.0 with 1gig ram and a GeForce3 and I lag like a mofo in large tower battles.

What I've been doing is turning off: clouds, environmental effects (most of them), cutting view distance to 50% and character view distance to 40%. If its still bad, I turn off nano effects (you may have to zone for some of these, not sure yet). While you may not be able to *see* the characters, you can still tab them.

Surprisingly, it helps more than you can imagine. There's a lot of stuff your computer is drawing when you're at 100% view/char distance w/ all effects on. I told people at yesterday's battle to do the same and they all yelled at me with things like "Yea right, my computer's uber, this is server lag." Finally a couple of them made the changes and were quite surprised, then thanked me privately

Sure its a pain to fumble with graphics settings before entering a battle, but its less of a pain than dying due to lag and becoming frustrated to the point where you put the game down for a bit.

I hate CC. :P Got stuck with my nigthmare yesterday and couldnt run away... slice dice bye and i was a history long forgotten at reclaim. :P *Sigh!*
    Last edited by Hajkster; Jan 15th, 2003 at 13:09:49.
    RK1 - Hajk - Solitus - Lvl 217/DR 16 - Nanotech - Apocalypse
    ---
    Explorer 60% / Socializer 53% / Killer 46% / Achiever 40%

Yeah the heavy lag and CC is frustrating me more and more for every day =/
    moon meeh

Funny how CC was supposed to help reduce lag, but now we have both CC *and* lag to deal with... eh.

-= Legion =-

/stuck is your new best friend!!!

Originally posted by Sheffy

I have no idea what the specs are on your computer, but I have a P4 2.0 with 1gig ram and a GeForce3 and I lag like a mofo in large tower battles.
    Need a better video card.

Anyway, in my opinion, I know the game would look ****ty and all, but there needs to be a way to just totally turn off character-textures. That's what causes the lag, having to draw 58 million character textures all moving about and doing stuff. Just have one default texture (maybe a white blob ) to draw on them and have an option that allows that to be set. It'd help get rid of the need for this crappy CC system.. not a perfect solution, but you know, it could help.

~Chris

at tower wars i use /chardist 0 and all effects off) doesnt help a bit on the ld's, but reduce some client-side lag..

Hmmmmz

AMD 2000+ , ATI 9700 Pro and 512 Mb DDR333 ram. OS and game running on separate SCSI U2W disks.

I doubt that my computer is the bottleneck. I am sure there are faster boxes all over, but I cant see that any game developer would want to design for the latest hotrod pc`s and not be usable by anyone with equipment more than a month old.

I run a bit of detail and having to turn everything off is not an acceptable way of playing! One of the reasons I started (and continued) playing AO was the excellent graphics.

Land control is possibly the best thing that has happened to AO in the last 18+ months, but something more than the CC system needs to be done before the game is playable =/
    Legion
    Beartwo

and a whole litter of bearcubs ...

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -- Plato
    "You see me now, a soldier, of a 1000 psychic wars...." -- Blue Oyster Cult

oh heh

Originally posted by Sheffy

What I've been doing is turning off: clouds, environmental effects (most of them), cutting view distance to 50% and character view distance to 40%. If its still bad, I turn off nano effects (you may have to zone for some of these, not sure yet). While you may not be able to *see* the characters, you can still tab them.
    I totally forgot about that DUH. Im so excited etc. when a tower raid is on that I forget about everything and rush to the tower that is being defended/attacked. And I run on max graphics, lol.(except some ground graphics etc)

I will remember to do that and see what happends.

I run a GF4, AMD xp1800, 500GB ram so it is an ok box.

See yah at next tower raid Sheffy!
    Last edited by Tharney; Jan 15th, 2003 at 15:27:59.

Ooh! Wish I had 500GB RAM! I only have 512MB

Hehe
    Gimme sammich!!1

Reborn Sammich

i dont lagg in tower wars whit my p4 2.2 whit 512 ram and a GeForce4, full char distans and all efeckts .

but CC is fugged.. it sux more then lagg if u aske me. i was stuck next to a Controler, and i couldent move becous of CC.
    w00p w00p!!

Originally posted by Ntrox The MP Gimp
    Ooh! Wish I had 500GB RAM! I only have 512MB

Hehe
    Ooops, 512MB hihi

Anyway, in my opinion, I know the game would look ****ty and all, but there needs to be a way to just totally turn off character-textures. That's what causes the lag, having to draw 58 million character textures all moving about and doing stuff. Just have one default texture (maybe a white blob ) to draw on them and have an option that allows that to be set. It'd help get rid of the need for this crappy CC system.. not a perfect solution, but you know, it could help.

Good idea, it'd be nice if all omni were blue blobs, all clan were red, and all neuts were targets .
    Suupaslap Master 10th Dan--Rk2
    Smugglerguy Ickle baby fixer--Rk2

hardware

has very little to do with the situation unless you just have a **** sytem. I run AO on 4 boxes. The Lowest of the 4 is a p4 2ghz with a geforce 4 with 512 of ram. The rest are more twinked. I can tell you that even sitting on a trunk off a ds3 with less than a 50ms ping in any hop to the funcom servers I can (and do millions of times) die from CC and lag.

The person who pasted "get a new video card" needs to smoke less crack. I have tried every hardware setup, every OS, and various internet connections all over the world (because I get to travel with work) and I can tell you that the net code is poor in any situation.
    I will not claim to be an expert in coding, but I've been involved with enough online gaming to say that there are some major issues which funcom cannot address. They can't be blind to the issues because every forum on every site and loads of petitions and bug reports flow in each day on this topic just as they did about BS lag and event lag in general. Either their servers are underpowered (which I would love to be the case because that is the easiest problem to remedy) or their netcode isn't capable of handling what the content allows...or both.

What is painfully sad to me is the fact that there is no possible way they could not have seen what takes place lagwise in a tower battle during testing. How can they release something that they know to be broken and unacceptable to the masses. I would much rather wait for good content than to have forced changes in storyline that aren't tested properly or delivered with effective code behind it.
    I'm afraid these posts just fall on deaf ears.

Bump for blobs..

ah nm
    Fetamysicist
    Sentinull
    Phix001

Yeah, the lag anywhere seems to be a lot worse lately...just chillin in the arena brings killer lag...not chop chop stuff, just ping spikes:/

the thing that has been annoying me the most in these recent raids is the warping thanks to croud control...with the pvp disgrace it opens you up for 10vs1's if you get warped to an area with a bunch of clanners...losing titles to these obvious 'bugs' really sux...

i believe when you get warped it should completely remove your disgrace period...
    Last edited by Dooomiz; Jan 16th, 2003 at 15:05:43.

LOL actually you are right it is inefficiency. For instance did you know that a fixer in Grid armor sends out SEVEN head textures that you pc has to render? Ooooh and if he wears a visor its FOURTEEN! so whenever I go into battle and walk up to someone they have to render my head 14 times just because I wear GA and a Truspace....hopefully I will be able to find more items to do this and can just gank lagged people. (JK) Seriously though, 14 textures just for my head I dont even have that much detail IRL.
    Bad Fixer
    Non Illegitimus Carborundum Est!

Arrow

All the talk about upgrading video cards and systems should also consider than when AO was developed, some of these didn't even exist yet. Hell, some of them came out after AO did.

The client could use some help. The hardware is fine....code can always bring it to its knees.
    mercatura -ae f. [trade, traffic; merchandise]

Moved off-world and found real tradeskills...along with many other things

Originally posted by Fenris
    LOL actually you are right it is inefficiency. For instance did you know that a fixer in Grid armor sends out SEVEN head textures that you pc has to render? Ooooh and if he wears a visor its FOURTEEN! so whenever I go into battle and walk up to someone they have to render my head 14 times just because I wear GA and a Truspace....hopefully I will be able to find more items to do this and can just gank lagged people. (JK) Seriously though, 14 textures just for my head I dont even have that much detail IRL.

yep, the coding is crap! it would be so much faster if it just loads people's breed and sex, then rendering ONE damn texture..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast